PDA

View Full Version : Small lidded box/vessel - my first attempt

Hermit
30th December 2013, 01:17 AM
My first 'real' attempt at a lidded box. (I made a crude pine one a couple of weeks ago, but only used a Forstner bit for hollowing, so I'm not counting that one.)

Mostly Merbau, with a Tas Oak lid insert. 80mm wide x 60 mm tall not counting the knob. The walls are about 5mm thick. I finished it in a couple of coats of wipe-on poly.
I think I should have turned the knob cross-grain to match the rest of the box, but turned it as a 'spindle' without thinking, so the end-grain makes it look a bit dark from above. Not to worry.

All comments and suggestions welcome. I'll be making another similar one next, a little better I hope.

298885 298886 298887

298888 298889

Oops - this was the first attempt at the body. My first UFO.
(It wasn't on that little tenon, it was mounted on a screw chuck from the other side at that stage.):

A post-mortem, (thanks for the tip to do a post-mortem after any episode), tells me that:
a. The (carbide) tool was above the equator, so when it caught it dug in. (Gotta watch myself)
AND
b. The timber already had a fine hairline crack right across and most of the way through. (Gotta examine my blanks more closely.)

I also made a couple more Merbau tea light candle holders over Xmas. Finished in WOP again.
I'm having fun playing with different shapes, seeing what works and what doesn't. (The first of these was the inspiration for the shape of the box above.)

chuck1
30th December 2013, 06:56 AM
you have been busy hermit! I really like your shapes!

brendan stemp
30th December 2013, 09:02 AM
You've done a great job. Nice, simple design with the join concealed well. I like the use of the contrasting timber and finished beautifully. Well done.

artme
30th December 2013, 09:16 AM
Steve that is a great little box!! I like the contrasting timbers in the lid. Nice touch!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

A Duke
30th December 2013, 10:32 AM
:2tsup:
Some nice looking exercises there. I take it in turner lingo the U in UFO stands for unintentional and not unidentified, or maybe uncontrolled.
:?:D
Regards

Hermit
30th December 2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the kind comments guys. The little box was fun to make, and good practice. Even managed an air-tight fit with the lid - pops when I open it.
I can see the faults, though, so I'll see if I can do better on the next one. About half-way through, I started getting ideas to improve it, but it was too late to implement them.

I take it in turner lingo the U in UFO stands for unintentional and not unidentified, or maybe uncontrolled.

I was thinking 'unwanted', but like 'unintentional' much better, so I'll go with that. Thanks.

Sturdee
30th December 2013, 02:35 PM
I like it, well done for your first attempt. :2tsup: Much better then my first attempts at box making.

A timely post as I have got the book by Chris Stott on turned boxes for my birthday and have started to make them (in between all the other things I want to turn) in order to hone my box making skills.

Peter.

turnerted
30th December 2013, 04:12 PM
Steve
A good effort . One point to watch,boxes are usually made from end grain because it is more stable and is less
likely to move,you may find that your lid that now 'pops' may jamb on after a while.
Ted

Hermit
30th December 2013, 05:24 PM
Steve
A good effort . One point to watch,boxes are usually made from end grain because it is more stable and is less
likely to move,you may find that your lid that now 'pops' may jamb on after a while.
Ted

Yeah, Ted, I was actually expecting it to start moving before now, with the humid weather over the last few days. I'm almost right out of timber, so resorted to cross-grain for these just because that 45mm Merbau is sitting here. A bit more practice at faceplate turning, too.

These first two are just for my own collection and won't be passed on, so I can see how they go. I was thinking that possibly both halves would go out-of-round by a similar amount, so that the lid would still fit as long as the grain was aligned.

I don't know what I'll do about a timber supply, (hardwoods). I can't keep buying small blanks online. The price with postage is killing me. If I want to keep at it daily, it could cost $20 to $40 a day. :oo:

A timely post as I have got the book by Chris Stott on turned boxes for my birthday and have started to make them ( in between all the other things I want to turn) in order to hone my box making skills.

I just had a look at a bit of Chris Stott's stuff. I think I might have to get myself a copy of that book, Peter. Is it "Turned Boxes - 50 Designs"?

Sturdee
30th December 2013, 05:52 PM
I just had a look at a bit of Chris Stott's stuff. I think I might have to get myself a copy of that book, Peter. Is it "Turned Boxes - 50 Designs"?

Yes it is and in addition to the 50 designs for copying there are also quite a few photos of boxes made by other turners to inspire you. All the boxes are small and a quick look through shows the diam of the larger boxes to be about 100 mm. I have a pile of fence posts off cuts of cypres pine that I'm going to use for them so practicing making the boxes would not be as expensive as you think.

I'll start a new thread later (when the camera battery is charged again) showing my box making journey.

Peter.

Hermit
30th December 2013, 06:10 PM
Yes it is and in addition to the 50 designs for copying there are also quite a few photos of boxes made by other turners to inspire you. All the boxes are small and a quick look through shows the diam of the larger boxes to be about 100 mm.

Sounds good. It's on my shopping list.
I spotted this page, too, while looking for Chris Stott stuff. Thought it might interest you. More food for thought: Woodturning Reference and Information Magazine Online (http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_projects.php?catid=13)

I have a pile of fence posts off cuts of cypres pine that I'm going to use for them so practicing making the boxes would not be as expensive as your think.

I'm transport-challenged, (pushbike), so can't carry much. That's why I usually buy online for other (non-turning) projects. Woodturning really eats the wood, though, so I'll have to sort something out.
Meantime, I got a nice piece of NSW Scented Rosewood by mail from the Woodsmith today, 90mm square x 130mm long. That'll be my next box attempt.

I'll start a new thread later ( when the camera battery is charged again) showing my box making journey.

Looking forward to it.

elderly
30th December 2013, 10:59 PM
Steve why don,'t you have a word with Mapleman I am sure you could work out a good deal on some timber.
Cheers Frank.

Hermit
30th December 2013, 11:18 PM
Steve why don,'t you have a word with Mapleman I am sure you could work out a good deal on some timber.
Cheers Frank.

Good idea, Frank. I think I'll save my bikkies for a bit, then see what Chris can do for me. I've got a nice piece of QLD Maple for a CBG guitar soundboard already that I got from him a while ago. Nice timber. The only downside is postage.
All that's readily available here are some old pallets 'round the corner. And a dead branch hanging off a gum tree (in the park) down the road, but I don't have a chainsaw.
Perhaps I should buy a small chainsaw and sneak out at nights.... :D

I've got heaps of box-sized timbers that I can eventually use for segmented turning, but that's still a fair way off, when I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Treecycle
31st December 2013, 08:47 AM
Are there any other members on here from your area. Maybe an ad in the Market Place in the Wanted section might save you a few dollars. Most people seem to have more wood than they will ever use. I know I do.

Forgot to say, nice work on the lidded box. The inlayed piece in the lid is fitted very nicely.

Hermit
31st December 2013, 12:18 PM
Are there any other members on here from your area. Maybe an ad in the Market Place in the Wanted section might save you a few dollars. Most people seem to have more wood than they will ever use. I know I do.

Forgot to say, nice work on the lidded box. The inlayed piece in the lid is fitted very nicely.

There are a couple of other members in the area, but they don't have an excess of timber. I've decided to sit on my hands for a bit - finish off what I have here, take some time off while I save and buy the rest of the tools I need, then I can worry about $$$ for timber. I'll get there, just have to pe patient for a few months.

Drillit
1st January 2014, 10:51 AM
Excellent first go. We have all had fliers. The positive is that it brings you back to earth in a hurry
as you analyse the cause and effect. Good luck for the future and kep ducking quickly. Drillit.:D

Hermit
1st January 2014, 11:27 AM
Excellent first go. We have all had fliers. The positive is that it brings you back to earth in a hurry
as you analyse the cause and effect. Good luck for the future and kep ducking quickly. Drillit.:D

Thanks for the encouragement, Drillit. Much appreciated.
(I always wear my faceshield while turning and keep out of the line of fire as much as possible, so I'm not too worried about the occasional flying chunk. They sound good bouncing off the walls, too. :D )

While I'm at it, I just want to wish everyone who reads this a happy, profitable and safe new year. 2014 will be a good one, I'm sure.