PDA

View Full Version : Dust masks

Potzii
2nd January 2014, 07:18 PM
Hi all,

I am seeking advice from fellow glasses wearers. I am a full time wearer of glasses but repeatedly get frustrated when wearing dust masks and my glasses fog up.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Regards

Mark

Regards Potzii

blueywa
2nd January 2014, 07:48 PM
Don't know if its what you are really looking for, but I believe Triton do a battery powered mask/helmet.
They aren't cheap...
I just use a transparent flip-up 'plastic' type with paper mask and haven't steamed up my glasses yet.

brendan stemp
2nd January 2014, 08:02 PM
A respirator is, by a long shot the best way to go. Also the Dust Be Gone masks are good for glasses wearers. Problem is they are over-priced.

Bruce White
2nd January 2014, 09:03 PM
Don't know if its what you are really looking for, but I believe Triton do a battery powered mask/helmet.
They aren't cheap...
I just use a transparent flip-up 'plastic' type with paper mask and haven't steamed up my glasses yet.

I have a Triton unit. Sadly, they no longer manufacture them. I contacted them to try to obtain spare filters - not available. Was told that there was not enough support for the product. Far and away the best available and best value for money in my opinion. Leave the others for dead. If anyone has one that they do not use or spare filters/battery units I would be very happy to hear from you!

chuck1
2nd January 2014, 09:22 PM
I have a 3M versaflo but you don't get much change out of $1500, previously I had a 3M mask with twin filters mainly fogged up my specs in winter and it cost me around $100 .
for turning and routing the versaflo is great! you can also get stick on protective film witch is hand when you hit a sap pocket and it sprays over faceshield, no scrubbing and scratching faceshieldjust tear it off and stick on a new one!

mick59wests
3rd January 2014, 07:00 AM
I have a Paftec2 respirator. I usually wear safety glasses and have not had an issue with fogging. It will set you back around $600 when you include the silicone mask. It is even an Australian design
cheers
Mick

Jim Carroll
3rd January 2014, 09:18 AM
A respirator is, by a long shot the best way to go. Also the Dust Be Gone masks are good for glasses wearers. Problem is they are over-priced.

$50.00 for 3-4 years use sounds like good value to me.

Your other option is the Trend Air Sheild Pro (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/trend-airsheild-pro-respirator) for a positive powered respirator.

I have tried the paftec and this time of year found it to be sweaty around the face. Works well but ...

Mobyturns
3rd January 2014, 09:31 AM
When you say using "dust masks" - what sort are we talking about? If you are using the disposable types look for a decent P2 style with a valve. That should reduce the fogging due to the air escape around the nose bridge.

I have been using the Trend / Purelite Air Shield PARP for over 7 years, great unit with some limited impact protection. Replacement filoters are easy to source etc. Purchase cost spread over 5 years is quite acceptable.

I'm very cautious of the dustbegones not because of their performance but more because of how wood workers use (& store) them. Its very easy to contaminate the inside surface which seems to me to be quite counterproductive. They make you feel like you are doing the right thing - but are you? (Before eveyone jumps on me - read what I said)

brendan stemp
3rd January 2014, 09:52 AM

Your other option is the Trend Air Sheild Pro (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/trend-airsheild-pro-respirator) for a positive powered respirator.

I have tried the paftec and this time of year found it to be sweaty around the face. Works well but ...

Not quite what I paid for one 3-4 years ago. I think I paid around $65, was shocked with the price but was prepared to give them a go. I still maintain they are over-priced. Just look at them, there ain't too much to them so the manufacture costs must be minimal even if they are made in the US. Compare them to the Woodys Gear Smocks at $49 which has a lot more material and would take a considerable more amount of time to make and then tell me how the Dust B Gone is not over-priced. My Woodys Gear Smocks have lasted a lot longer than 4 years.

Now I know, Jim that you need to put your margin on them (no arguements there) so I'm not having a go at your pricing or the quality of the product. However, to me they shouldn't cost anymore than $20. But please let me know if I'm missing something. Perhaps the material used is very, very expensive, like Goretex was when it first hit the market.

It seems to me that as soon as dust protection is mentioned the premium of premium prices gets put on them. Just look at the 3M Dustmaster. The only one I think is reasonably priced is the Trend Air Shield which is a very well constructed respirator but not good for wearing for a long period of time (too heavy and poorly balanced).

steamingbill
3rd January 2014, 10:25 AM
Hello,

There was a sandpaper stall at Melbourne Woodwork Show.

They were selling and promoting a product for people who wear glasses.

They were relatively ordinairy looking thick paper dust masks with a plastic valve way over on one side of the mask.

Anybody remember the name of them ?

A proper safety shop has a huge range of dust mask options and is well worth a visit for a look and some education.

One item I particularly remember at the shop was a full face mask with comfortable soft silicon face seals - the unpowered version was relatively cheap and you then had the option to buy the powered unit and add it later (very expensive) it was made by a Danish or swedish company - Sundstrom. Worth googling and a visit to safety shop to have a look.

Bill

BamBam53
3rd January 2014, 11:01 AM
Hi Mark

I have been using a 3M 7502 half face mask for the last two years. It is a silicone face piece with replaceable filters.

I had the same problem with fogging glasses until I bought it. It works well and you can get a range of different filters for it.

Michael

old1955
3rd January 2014, 01:21 PM

I am also a full time wearer of glasses. Have found the Dust Be Gone mask a great product. Wash it out at the end of the day, hang up and go again tomorrow. I don't begrudge the money I paid for it as I can see clearly and breathe.

I'm not linked to the company just a first time user over the last couple of months.

Christos
3rd January 2014, 03:07 PM
I have the Dust Be Gone mask that I find very nice to use compared to the disposal paper ones. I am also of the opinion that they are quite high in price but that being said I waited for the specials. :)

I also looked at the 3M 7502 but without having one to pickup and feel I was not sure.

BobL
3rd January 2014, 04:05 PM
Fully bearded occasional turner here with a full face Triton mask that I stopped using while turning, since I got myself a decent dust extraction system.
I tested the effectiveness of my system by measuring the dust exposure while turning and sanding etc using a dust monitor.
While there were quite a few big chips flying around the detector could not measure any excess fine dust from these activities.

Jim Carroll
3rd January 2014, 07:44 PM
Safety equipement is always over priced but at the end of the day how much would it cost for a new set of lungs.

Just ask racal, they had a good product, well priced then they were bought out by a sandpaper company and the price increased three fold.

We all need protection, some of the units are not as comfortable as others, some people complain about balance , too heavy but in most cases they are not set up properly or are using them for the wrong application.

If you find the head peice is falling forward all the time there is adjustment on the top band as well as on the head strap. there is also adjustment of the facesheild that can be canted slightly up.

It could also be that the machine you are using is too low and with you bending over too much find the unit wanting to fall forward but if set up properly should not fall of.

We find that some people who have not used hard hats or any other head peice do find the 1.7kg on their head uncomfortable at first, like all things it can take time to get used to.

Smocks are not safety equipement they are a shirt that goes over your clothes to stop the boss from complaining when you come inside covered in dust and shavings, same as an apron or dust coat.

NCPaladin
4th January 2014, 04:47 AM
These are the type I use. Rated down to 0.3 microns at 100% efficiency (99.98%). Even some of the $300+ units are rated at 98%. About $9 and rated for 160 hours but I normally trash mine after 50-60 hours. Usually about $7.25 each in packs of six. No problem so far with fogging my glasses or faceshied.
3M 8233 Respirator | Cooper Safety Supply (http://www.coopersafety.com/product/3m-8233-respirator-1-pack-1201.aspx)

They also have mask rated down to 0.3 microns at 95% efficiency for about $2 each. I keep some of these for guest in the shop and then just trash them. Sometimes you can get them on the bay for a buck each.
3M 9211 N95 Respirator - 10 Pack | Cooper Safety Supply (http://www.coopersafety.com/product/3m-9211-n95-respirator-10-pack-1460.aspx)

I did look at the Dust Be Gone but they stated protection down to 3.0 microns (10 X larger than the 3M's 0.3 microns) and no measure of efficiency.
The Dust Be Gone was rated OK by the AWW while the 3M was rated as basically *rap so you may not want to try them.
Oh wait, Dust Be Gone advertises with them and 3M didn't. :rolleyes:

Potzii
4th January 2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone, some great suggestions. Will check them out.

Regards

Mark

Regards Potzii

Drillit
4th January 2014, 10:42 AM
I agree with Jim Carroll - dustbegone are tip top and definitely seal out the fog/mist if properly affixed.
I now only use the Triton respirator occasionally with something very potent. I think (DBG) they are
your best and cheapest option for us who use spectacles permanently. They are also washable and will last for years.
I also think that with the respirator systems you tend not to use them as often as you should because of all the fiddling around,
including ensuring battery is charged up. Hope that helps. Drillit.

old1955
4th January 2014, 02:02 PM
I am also a full time wearer of glasses. Have found the Dust Be Gone mask a great product. Wash it out at the end of the day, hang up and go again tomorrow. I don't begrudge the money I paid for it as I can see clearly and breathe.

I'm not linked to the company just a first time user over the last couple of months.

Also find it comfortable with full face beard.

smiife
4th January 2014, 06:56 PM
I am also a full time weit out atrer of glasses. Have found the Dust Be Gone mask a great product. Wash it out at the end of the day, hang up and go again tomorrow. I don't begrudge the money I paid for it as I can see clearly and breathe.

Totally agree with old 1955, I have a dust b gone
for over a year and had no trouble, just rinse it out
and hang it up to dry,,,,,, no worries
no sure what this has to do with smocks ,!!!:C
cheers smiife:2tsup::2tsup:

nalmo
4th January 2014, 08:45 PM
I have a dustbegone and find it great. As an asthmatic, I almost always wear it when doing any woodwork. Rinse after use, or sometimes just blow out any dust (both sides) with the compressor.
On the few occasions where I don't wear it, I'm always wheezing afterwards. Well worth the money and I've had many year's use.

michael_m
5th January 2014, 08:07 AM
another +1 for the dust-bee-gone. I find it comfortable, and easy to clean. To avoid the problem of putting it on the wrong way round, I've just put a slash with a permanent marker on one side, so I always know which is which.

artful bodger
6th January 2014, 07:08 PM
Find it surprising that no one has recommended a Sundstrom mask. I have been using them for years and reckon they are "tops". Although I don't wear glasses. I do wear safety glasses as a matter of course in the workshop and have never found fogging up to be an issue. The Sundstrom masks also offer carbon filters that are good for spray painting, using epoxies etc.(you just have to keep em in an airtight container when not in use).
You should be able to get a mask, a particle filter, a spraypainting/fume filter and some pre filters for around about $150.
You can get em at welding shops, fibreglass shops,paint shops etc.

steamingbill
6th January 2014, 09:17 PM
Hey Potzii,

Have just seen that you live in Traralgon.

The safety shop on the Princes highway near the Italian Club in Morwell has a good range of dust protection options - including the Sundstrom masks.

They have been very helpful to me in the past and worth going for a look.

Bill

Sculptured Box
10th February 2014, 05:07 PM
I have a Triton unit. Sadly, they no longer manufacture them. I contacted them to try to obtain spare filters - not available. Was told that there was not enough support for the product. Far and away the best available and best value for money in my opinion. Leave the others for dead. If anyone has one that they do not use or spare filters/battery units I would be very happy to hear from you!

some years ago had the battery unit of my Triton upgraded at Battery World, they may be able to help now?

nz_carver
10th February 2014, 07:31 PM
Go the trend air sheild I've got one and fell lost when I'm turning and don't have it

at the end of the day what's price tag do you stick on your eyes face and lunges ?

Willy Nelson
10th February 2014, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Carroll;1732673]$50.00 for 3-4 years use sounds like good value to me.

I think I paid aproximately $60 for mine 3-4 years ago, I thought it wasn't terribly good, and over priced at the time, especially once I found the website in the USA that sells them for $15 each!
Willy

jay h
11th February 2014, 11:03 AM
Hi Team, this is a very important and personal subject. we all have different problems, mine are balance and glasses. I have tried Tend Paftec and several silicone rubber masks with canister filters, not liking any of them. I was about to try the Dust be gone mask wen NCPaladnin posed at the top of this page. Just love the 3m 8233 respirator, no problems other than by purchasing only two the postage was worth more than the goods. $29 for the pair. Jay

jay h
11th February 2014, 11:08 AM
Hi team, a vote for NCPaladins thread on the 3M 8233 filters. They are excellent. Jay

jay h
11th February 2014, 11:11 AM
Sorry guys have tried to answer this post 6 times. 4 last night 2 this morning each time the puter has dropped out so my replies have gotten shorter and shorter, to stop the time out??? I thought another dropout with the first post this morning. Sorry Jay

fletty
1st March 2014, 10:12 PM

Hi Jim,
I am a chronic severe asthmatic who also wears glasses and had a few too many run ins with (particularly NSW scented ) rosewood causing asthma attacks. I also bought the Paftec and also found it works very well but uncomfortable in hot weather. When I rechecked the box, I found the harness/headwear that I had ignored earlier and when I used it, it lifted the weight a little and removed the discomfort around the back of the neck and face.
I now wear it all through the seasons and haven't had a timber induced attack since. I works very well and, at the end of each workshop session I am generally horrified by the amount of dust trapped in the filter ....but not in my lungs!
fletty