PDA

View Full Version : Off center lidded form

Roger C
3rd January 2014, 06:21 AM
hi all have not posted in awhile work got in the way. I do not copy but from time to time some pieces by other turners will inspire me and I will put my own spin on the piece as with this Mark Sanger inspired Osage Orange, Vegetable Ivory, Red Ivory and Leadwood lidded form. H 200mm 7 7/8” W 105mm 4 1/8” Finish woodoc 10 sprayed on. C & C as always welcome Regards Roger

Dalboy
3rd January 2014, 10:21 AM
Great piece Roger you have done it justice and Mark should be pleased with your interpretation of some of his style of work.

I must confess to being an admirer of his work. Did not know where to comment on this piece as I have seen it elsewhere:U:U:U

tea lady
3rd January 2014, 11:20 AM
Neat. Love the different woods used in other countries. What is "lead wood" ? I guess its heavy. :U

Roger C
3rd January 2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks Dalboy and Tea Lady. Tea Lady the lead wood is Combretum imberbe and is heavy and hard as nails. When you see pictures of game lodges in South Africa those twisted stems holding up the thatch roof are 9 out of 10 times Lead Wood as they are termite proof. Regards Roger

Christos
3rd January 2014, 06:13 PM
I had to look up what lead wood was as you got curiosity.

:2tsup:

Local to the region is what my understanding is.

artme
3rd January 2014, 06:59 PM
Now I would love to have that sitting at my place!! Beautiful piece!! Gorgeous finish!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

smiife
5th January 2014, 07:04 PM
Hi roger,
Nicely done, is it hollow out..?
I very much like mark sangers designs
and i think you have done a great job
Well done roger:2tsup:
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

Roger C
7th January 2014, 05:15 AM
Thanks Christos, artme and smiife glad you all like the piece. christos the wood is found in the warmer areas of South Africa. smiife the piece is hollowed out.Cheers Roger C