PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Grey Camphor Laurel

Hermit
3rd January 2014, 10:40 PM
I made a little bowl today using, among other things, some Camphor Laurel, making use of scraps/offcuts. I couldn't see the dirty grey colour until I started turning it. Not proud of this one, but want to save it if I can.

I was wondering - if I leave it laying about for long enough without a finish on it, perhaps applying moisture from time to time, is the grey likely to spread/even out, or am I stuck with it looking blotchy forever?
And if you think it looks bad now, wait until I apply a finish.....

Paint it?

What actually causes that grey colour? Mould/fungus?

Timbers from edge to centre are Canarywood, figured Camphor Laurel, plain (grey) Camphor Laurel, NGR, grey Camphor Laurel again.
Dimensions are 175mm diameter, 85mm tall.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edit: A couple more views, including the obligatory bottom.
It doesn't look too bad from some angles.
(I'd love to get my hands on some more of that Canarywood. Comes up really nice. Hard as nails though.)

299424 299425

wheelinround
4th January 2014, 06:35 AM
Not a bad effort on lamination nice deep bowl.

The spalting in the Camphor can't be removed now, you may have tried a bit of bleaching prior it would get rid of it tho. Camphor has this often sometimes even looks quite green.

artme
4th January 2014, 07:49 AM
You have done a great job there Steve. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The grey doesn't detract too much so forget about it.

Drillit
4th January 2014, 10:56 AM
Hermit,
Your problem with CL is not uncommon. You can bleach it before using it,
but even then you can still get the spalting effect in a lighter greyish colour
which I think is worse because it affects the other colour textures in the wood.
What I did with one piece that had those markings was to dye it lightly. I used
a weak red solution and gave it (2) coats. Came up pretty good. Otherwise
grin and bear it,eh. Drillit.

Hermit
4th January 2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like I'll have to live with it. I'll put some finish on it today and see how it comes out. I'll probably keep it in the shed for storing small bits and pieces in.

I've bleached grey from CL in the past, but it can't be done from the outside prior to turning - the bleach effect doesn't go very deep and, of course, I can't do it in this case without affecting the other timber due to the laminations. Same goes for dying it.

Unfortunately, most of my Camphor Laurel has this problem, rendering it useless for anything but practice. I've got a pile of potential firewood. The downside of buying online. :~

Treecycle
4th January 2014, 02:12 PM
Apart from your own concerns about the colour, you have done an excellent job on turning and finishing the bowl. Maybe when complete, you should keep it inside the house, as most visitors who see it there will probably know little about what the timber is supposed to look like, and won't even notice what you are worried about. We all make things at times that we have reservations about, and yet others like them. We are all different.
Looking forward to seeing it with a finish on it.

Hermit
4th January 2014, 02:21 PM
Apart from your own concerns about the colour, you have done an excellent job on turning and finishing the bowl. Maybe when complete, you should keep it inside the house, as most visitors who see it there will probably know little about what the timber is supposed to look like, and won't even notice what you are worried about. We all make things at times that we have reservations about, and yet others like them. We are all different.
Looking forward to seeing it with a finish on it.

Thank you, Dallas, for the very kind comments. Ignoring the colour, for my second turned bowl, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I'll post a couple of finished pics in a day or two. I'll use WOP for convenience, but I think that whatever I use will accent the grey and look even worse. We'll see.

_fly_
4th January 2014, 03:28 PM
Nice shape Steve,

Getting to be a real little designer.

I don't think it looks bad at all, I don't see it as a grey, its a different timber and gives it contrast.

If you want people to not look at it, make a nice one piece lid and let them look at that instead, they won't look underneath.

Turning skills are up there as well.

Pete

Hermit
4th January 2014, 04:14 PM
Nice shape Steve,

Getting to be a real little designer.

I don't think it looks bad at all, I don't see it as a grey, its a different timber and gives it contrast.

If you want people to not look at it, make a nice one piece lid and let them look at that instead, they won't look underneath.

Turning skills are up there as well.

Pete

Thanks Pete. You've all managed to allay my concerns a bit. Still looks terrible to me, though, so I'll keep it and won't pass it off onto anyone.

I like the idea of a lid. I'll give it some thought. Not sure if one-piece would match the bowl though. It might look out of place.

Designer? If you mean the lamination, that's out of necessity. I'm running out of big enough pieces of timber to turn. A bit short on $ right now, but on Monday I'm going to ring the local firewood suppliers and see if I can go out and look around for some bits and pieces for turning. Should be cheaper than buying timber online, (I hope).

Still waiting on Carbatec for my grinder, too. Their 10-15 days has stretched to a month and still nothing in sight. Meantime I'm spending a fair bit of each night hand-sharpening.

_fly_
4th January 2014, 05:16 PM
I meant designer in respect to the shape, the lip, the bowl shape in general.
Some shapes just make things look ugly, but yours have all been pleasing shapes/ratio's.

Bit like when you fixed the roof of the VW, some things look right and some look wrong.

Hermit
4th January 2014, 05:58 PM
I meant designer in respect to the shape, the lip, the bowl shape in general.
Some shapes just make things look ugly, but yours have all been pleasing shapes/ratio's.

Bit like when you fixed the roof of the VW, some things look right and some look wrong.

Thanks for that Pete. I thought the shape was a bit boring, especially compared to some of the stuff I see here, but I was just happy to get it smooth, without ridges etc. Not as easy as it looks, is it?

smiife
4th January 2014, 06:25 PM
Hi steve
I think the bowl looks pretty good,
My only suggestion would be danish oil
Cl loves danish oil and the more coats
The darker it goes so if you have, nt finish it yet
Try a fewcoats and it will pop
Cheers smiife :2tsup::;

Hermit
4th January 2014, 06:57 PM
Hi steve
I think the bowl looks pretty good,
My only suggestion would be danish oil
Cl loves danish oil and the more coats
The darker it goes so if you have, nt finish it yet
Try a fewcoats and it will pop
Cheers smiife :2tsup::;

Great suggestion smiife. :2tsup:

I saw this just in time - was just preparing for a coat of WOP.
I have plenty of Danish oil and have used it on CL in the past, but only on small stuff, (pendants & brooches).

Consider it done. I'll give it a coat a day for the next few days and see how it goes.

toolieturn
4th January 2014, 08:22 PM
Nice work for a deep bowl
I cut down a CL tree in my Yard (roots everywhere)and found when
dried out parts of it were naturally grey ,not in the heart wood but
close to the bark and i suspect it could have been on the north side
of the tree when it was growing.If the grain is even(plain)its what
you've have, but with prominent black irregular lines its likely to
be spalted, carry on the good work , Cheers

Hermit
4th January 2014, 09:07 PM
Nice work for a deep bowl
I cut down a CL tree in my Yard (roots everywhere)and found when
dried out parts of it were naturally grey ,not in the heart wood but
close to the bark and i suspect it could have been on the north side
of the tree when it was growing.If the grain is even(plain)its what
you've have, but with prominent black irregular lines its likely to
be spalted, carry on the good work , Cheers

Right. I wasn't sure if it was spalting, or something else. I've got a fair bit more with grey through it. Not sure what I'll use it for.

I've noticed that the grey is most visible in the end-grain, so I might try some for a small segmented project, where only side grain is showing. Otherwise, I'll use it for glue blocks etc.

corbs
4th January 2014, 09:23 PM
Don't discount your grey Camphor as unusable. You can still use it to work on your forms and then disguise the colouring with any of the below methods or introduce carving/burning to your process.

Also, don't discount what others will like. I've had pieces that I was going to burn which friends/family/clients have fallen in love with. Just because you don't like it doesn't necessarily mean it's not a keeper :2tsup:

Hermit
4th January 2014, 09:55 PM
Don't discount your grey Camphor as unusable. You can still use it to work on your forms and then disguise the colouring with any of the below methods or introduce carving/burning to your process.

Also, don't discount what others will like. I've had pieces that I was going to burn which friends/family/clients have fallen in love with. Just because you don't like it doesn't necessarily mean it's not a keeper :2tsup:

Very nice stuff corbs, and you've given me some good ideas. What is the white in the second and third pics?

I've got some ubeaut water-based dyes, so I might have a play with some of the grey CL scraps and see if I can find a colour or combo of colours that will disguise it a bit. (I don't usually use dyes and stains, but in this case...)

For this bowl, I considered black paint, rubbed back and coated with a clear finish, but didn't want to cover up the timber to that degree. It might as well be a plastic bowl then.

I could introduce burning into the process, but I don't have a fireplace. :D

Carving is an idea that I've been toying with too, but not necessarily to cover up the grey in CL.

corbs
5th January 2014, 07:50 AM
I didn't make any of those bowls, just posted them as examples of what could be done if you wanted. I'm assuming the white will just be a paint of some sort :)

wheelinround
5th January 2014, 08:04 AM
Steve befriend your local tree cutter, local Jims gardens services listen for the familiar sounds of chainsaws at work close by.These people now days have to pay at tips to have dumped. Know anyone in the RFS SES they often do loppings etc, local council, etc etc. Put the word out your after FREE wood wish you were closer but then again i maybe able to pass on some to you if neighbour will bring down. She is in Nowra almost weekly for work at a Reception Centre.

Hermit
5th January 2014, 11:24 AM
I didn't make any of those bowls, just posted them as examples of what could be done if you wanted. I'm assuming the white will just be a paint of some sort :)

Plenty of food for thought. There are obviously many ways to skin this cat. I saw some good examples of burning last night, too, among other things. I just need to learn to let my imagination run a bit.

Hermit
5th January 2014, 11:46 AM
Steve befriend your local tree cutter, local Jims gardens services listen for the familiar sounds of chainsaws at work close by.These people now days have to pay at tips to have dumped. Know anyone in the RFS SES they often do loppings etc, local council, etc etc. Put the word out your after FREE wood wish you were closer but then again i maybe able to pass on some to you if neighbour will bring down. She is in Nowra almost weekly for work at a Reception Centre.

Jim's is a good idea. I'll have to try to track them down. There's also another fairly large mob here that do tree lopping, so I'll keep an eye and ear open and see if they can help out. I might need to pay them a few bucks to cut things small enough to carry on the pushbike or in a taxi. Couldn't ask them to do that for nothing.
I haven't turned green wood yet, but I've done enough reading to know what to do re rough turning and drying. Saw an interesting article on boiling rough-turnings to speed the drying process, too.
As mentioned, I'll also get onto the firewood guys.

I've had a few people say they'd bring me some tree offcuts etc, but none have come through so far. Once I've been at it a while and more people know what I'm doing, things will improve.

Mate, I'd be forever grateful if your neighbour could bring a bit down, to help get the ball rolling. I could send her off with a little pressie for her trouble - I've got a couple of dozen finished pieces just sitting here doing nothing. Turnings, carved boxes etc. I'd be happy to give you some $ too. If it does look like happening, sing out and I'll PM you my address.

Meantime, while I get some sources organised, I have a few nice pieces of timber left and can keep laminating up my box timbers to make blanks as well. Makes for expensive blanks though.

I'll get started on some serious timber hunting tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Dalboy
6th January 2014, 07:52 AM
I might need to pay them a few bucks to cut things small enough to carry on the pushbike or in a taxi. Couldn't ask them to do that for nothing.

Steve if the bits are too large to carry if they are working close to home for a "few bucks" they may even drop it off in which case you could end up with some nice sized bits. If that is the case keep the trunk/branch as long as possible and seal the ends put in a cool and shady place to help slow down the drying

wheelinround
6th January 2014, 09:54 AM
Steve when I check with her where she goes to down there and yes Pm you address please.

I have just acquired some nice fresh cut Fig but not much left well except for a little piece but its spoken for until he decides otherwise.

Hermit
6th January 2014, 11:37 AM
Steve if the bits are too large to carry if they are working close to home for a "few bucks" they may even drop it off in which case you could end up with some nice sized bits. If that is the case keep the trunk/branch as long as possible and seal the ends put in a cool and shady place to help slow down the drying

Thanks Derek, I'll see what I can sort out.

I've got a good spot to store green timber, under the house.
My shed is really hot and dry, it gets up to 50C on the hottest Summer days if the doors are shut, so I won't be storing it there. I already have a lot of trouble with cracking and movement, in dry timber.

I'm just working out a plan of action for the day. First up, there's a creek only half a mile away that's lined with trees, so I'll take one of the dogs for a walk soon and see what's laying around.

I live on a main road with plenty of traffic, so maybe I should make a big sign and put it out the front.

Hermit
6th January 2014, 11:42 AM
Steve when I check with her where she goes to down there and yes Pm you address please.

I have just acquired some nice fresh cut Fig but not much left well except for a little piece but its spoken for until he decides otherwise.

Thank you for that Ray. I'll pop you a PM.

The fig looks nice. I used to live in an area full of all sorts of nice timber including fig up until 10 years ago, in the mountains 40km behind Coffs Harbour, near Dorrigo. In some ways, I wish I still lived there. Wouldn't be having this problem.

turnerted
6th January 2014, 04:22 PM
Steve
When I first started turning, the local the council workers were removing two large trees in the street near my house.They were happy let me take what ever I wanted.I took back a slab of beer to give them and said I consider this an investment . I often run into them when I am doing my morning dog walk and have received heaps of timber from them .I have even come home to find a burl that they had left in my front yard.
Ted

smiife
6th January 2014, 05:25 PM
Hi steve,
a good way of getting free wood is your local
power line guys that cut and chip just about
everthing around here so be quick and ask
You have nothing to lose
Just a thought
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Hermit
6th January 2014, 09:35 PM
Hi steve,
a good way of getting free wood is your local
power line guys that cut and chip just about
everthing around here so be quick and ask
You have nothing to lose
Just a thought
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Thanks Ted and smiife. More good ideas. The beer especially.
I've started putting the word out with everyone I know to tell me if they see a tree being felled anywhere.

I'll get something sorted out pretty quickly.

Roger C
7th January 2014, 02:40 AM
Hi Steve the grey is not spalting but sap stain which I am afraid will not change. If you get freshly cut timber meaning cut today and you get next day apply a anti sap stain product. You probably will get the anti sap stain from a timber mill or the guys supplying the mills. Here in RSA I use a anti sap stain which is water base and then apply a sealant that is water based wax one maker calls it Hydro Wax. Hope this helps cheers Roger C

Hermit
7th January 2014, 10:09 AM
Hi Steve the grey is not spalting but sap stain which I am afraid will not change. If you get freshly cut timber meaning cut today and you get next day apply a anti sap stain product. You probably will get the anti sap stain from a timber mill or the guys supplying the mills. Here in RSA I use a anti sap stain which is water base and then apply a sealant that is water based wax one maker calls it Hydro Wax. Hope this helps cheers Roger C

Thanks Roger. I hadn't heard that before. Unfortunately, most of my Camphor Laurel arrives already dried, well after cutting. I'll have to take more care in future when I buy it, and if buying online I'll quiz the seller more closely to ensure it's not full of grey.

Meantime, the bowl is coming up better with the coats of Danish oil. I'll post some final pics in a couple of days after a couple more coats.

Hermit
11th January 2014, 02:21 PM
All finished. I gave it 4 coats of Danish oil.
It looks horrible from some angles and not bad from others. Unfortunately, the best view is when it's upside-down.
Not to worry, it was good practice, regardless of how it looks.
I've put it in a shaded spot on the shelf, with the best side facing forward. Doesn't look too bad and there's plenty of other stuff to draw attention away from it.

300263 300264 300266

RETIRED
11th January 2014, 06:20 PM
Personally I think you are being too hard on yourself Steve.

It is well turned, well finished and has a nice shape.

I think the contrast makes it look interesting.

Hermit
11th January 2014, 08:06 PM
Personally I think you are being too hard on yourself Steve.

It is well turned, well finished and has a nice shape.

I think the contrast makes it look interesting.

Thanks , you're probably right, and as a turning exercise I'm more than happy with it.
Most of us tend to notice the faults in our work more than others do.
It's sort of a good thing, though - it keeps us trying.

wheelinround
12th January 2014, 08:38 AM
Steve its come up a treat :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I was turning a bit of Camphor yesterday which has mild streak of grey in it otherwise its pretty bland being it was end grain turn of a branch.

Hermit
12th January 2014, 12:57 PM
Steve its come up a treat :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I was turning a bit of Camphor yesterday which has mild streak of grey in it otherwise its pretty bland being it was end grain turn of a branch.

Thanks Ray.
Good luck with your's.
I'm going to see how the grey stuff looks in a segmented turning. Shouldn't be as visible in side-grain. (Just getting organised for a practice run now, with some scrap Tas Oak.)

smiife
12th January 2014, 04:16 PM
Hi steve,
I think it has come up a treat, also agree
with others , you are being to picky, I do the
Same thing and think it is not good enough
Well done , great job,
cheers smiife :2tsup:

Hermit
12th January 2014, 06:25 PM
Thanks Michael, for the encouragement. Actually, now that it's sitting on the shelf and with a day's removal, it doesn't look too bad. For my second bowl attempt, it could have been much worse - I could still be picking up pieces from the shed floor. :D
(That's more likely in my current little segmented project.)