PDA

View Full Version : Freeze drying timber

Rossco
20th June 1999, 03:10 PM
I've heard that pieces of green timber can be successfully dried by a process which involves a deep freezer then an ordinary fridge. Can anyone explain the process to me and how successful it is. Thanks

Piofur
20th June 1999, 09:37 PM
I have no experience with freezing for the drying of timber ( sorry ) but as a matter of interest, I have heard that freezing timber is the best way to kill white ant etc.
Just thought I would throw that one in!!
Cheers
Shane!!!

bobmundy
21st June 1999, 11:48 PM
Rossco,
Have tried 'green' white cedar in a plastic bag in the freezer (four weeks), then in the fridge (three weeks). No checking, but grew some mildew. Obvious reduction in size, as the bark was markedly 'larger' after freezing. Twelve months down the track, the piece has remained stable.

------------------
Bob- You won't get a second chance to make a good first impression...

[This message has been edited by bobmundy (edited 22 June 1999).]

Piofur
8th July 1999, 11:19 AM
Rossco
Was just wondering if you had learnt more about freeze drying yet?
Very interesting but i have had no luck trying to get some info for you...

Cheers

Shane...

Rossco
10th July 1999, 05:40 PM
Shane

Terry tells me he has had quite a lot of experience with the method. He turns the bowl to the finished shape and sands from about 120 - 2000 grade. He then seals in a plastic bag and freezes for 7 - 10 days. Then he removes it from freezer, thaws it out and then puts it into a refrigerator for about 10 to 15 days during which time it seems to dry out considerably. Terry then re-chucks, sands with fine paper as sometimes the grains seems to have raised slightly and then finishes with shellawax. He is quite happy with results and started to use the method after doing a course in woodworking years ago. Hope this helps.
Regards
Rossco

Terry
17th July 1999, 09:03 AM
Rossco
Shane has given you the basics of how I freeze dry turning. I am very happy with the results although it can vary from piece to piece. I learn't the process from Vic Wood during a cource and have developed it to suit my needs. I have heard Vic has some written info on the procedure, might be worth an inquiry.
Terry