PDA

View Full Version : Spindle thread cover/protector

jimbur
8th January 2014, 02:00 PM
At the moment I'm using a Woodfast midi which unlike my old large Woodfast has no thread protector. Does anyone know where one can be obtained at a reasonable price (30x3.5mm). Woodfast do sell them and I may have to go that way but $50, which does include postage, seems a bit excessive. Can anyone think of a cheaper supplier or alternative?

turnerted
8th January 2014, 04:12 PM
Bore a hole a bit less than 30mm in the end grain of a bit of softwood about 50mm then screw it on to the thread. Even better if you have an M30x3.5 tap ,available from mcjings.Usefull for making special chucks too.
Ted

RETIRED
8th January 2014, 04:35 PM
If you want to come down here, I can give you a very large 35mm nut to put on.:D

Chesand
8th January 2014, 04:39 PM
If you want to come down here, I can give you a very large 35mm nut to put on.:D

Left over from the kitchen??? :D

chuck1
8th January 2014, 04:39 PM
or just be real careful when turning! one of our old lathes had a nice skew scar in the thread, it didn't affect putting the Chuck on!

jimbur
8th January 2014, 05:26 PM
or just be real careful when turning! one of our old lathes had a nice skew scar in the thread, it didn't affect putting the Chuck on!
I've been using a small faceplate to keep the thread covered but it means I'm a little limited in space around the headstock area.
Never thought of a wooden one.
thanks for the offer of one of your nuts .:D

Christos
8th January 2014, 05:40 PM
Left over from the kitchen??? :D

For those that are not familiar with this reference please take a look here. http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/im-finished-180536/

This is a thread that we are making fun of .

thanks for the offer of one of your nuts .:D

and it seems to be in this thread as well. :innocent:

jimbur
8th January 2014, 05:52 PM
Dear me Christos. Innocence is my middle name.:o

RETIRED
8th January 2014, 08:21 PM
I've been using a small faceplate to keep the thread covered but it means I'm a little limited in space around the headstock area.
thanks for the offer of one of your nuts .:DI have about 12 of them (you lot jealous yet) given to me by Grumpy John.

You are more than welcome Jim.:D

jimbur
8th January 2014, 08:32 PM
I have about 12 of them (you lot jealous yet) given to me by Grumpy John.

You are more than welcome Jim.:D
Doubt if I'll get down your way but if you're serious I'd be willing to pay including post and packing.

RETIRED
8th January 2014, 08:34 PM
PM the address.

jimbur
8th January 2014, 09:59 PM
PM the address.
done

Tim the Timber Turner
10th January 2014, 11:57 AM
You could try putting a small faceplate on backwards.
Of course this will only work if it's threaded right through.

Cheers

Tim:)

Tim the Timber Turner
10th January 2014, 12:02 PM
I have about 12 of them

I've never meet a man with 12 nuts before.

I would like to see that:o

No! No!:no: come to think of it, I wouldn't like to see that:oo:

Paul39
10th January 2014, 02:11 PM
Jimbur,

When you get the nut, make a hole a tiny bit smaller than the points of the nut in a nice piece of hard 20mm timber and epoxy the nut in it. Put the timber on a flat piece of plywood with a bit of wax paper or plastic on top and drive the nut down so it is flush on the bottom, then drizzle in epoxy and a bit of sawdust and pack in, then more epoxy and sawdust.

Let set overnight and thread on the spindle and turn a nice hand wheel to suit.

maņana
14th January 2014, 08:56 PM
Are we talking about the outboard spindle thread? If so, it is left hand thread. I don't think taps & dies for L/H thread are all that easily found.
Mickc

issatree
15th January 2014, 01:32 AM
Hi Jim,
Had my Lathe since 1990, has done quite a lot of work, & the thread is as clean as a whistle.
I'd just say, be a little bit careful, but if you need one, then as was said, make a wooden one.

jimbur
15th January 2014, 11:39 AM
Are we talking about the outboard spindle thread? If so, it is left hand thread. I don't think taps & dies for L/H thread are all that easily found.
Mickc
no it's inboard Mick

jimbur
15th January 2014, 11:42 AM
Hi Jim,
Had my Lathe since 1990, has done quite a lot of work, & the thread is as clean as a whistle.
I'd just say, be a little bit careful, but if you need one, then as was said, make a wooden one.

My old Record-Power manual told me never to use it without a spindle protector and it's something that's stuck in my head but as you say perhaps unnecessarily.

greyhound
15th January 2014, 01:20 PM
My old Record-Power manual told me never to use it without a spindle protector and it's something that's stuck in my head but as you say perhaps unnecessarily.
That is because the head stock is not hollow all the way and you cannot use a knock out bar to remove any device you put in the morse tapper.the record and the coronet came out with a threaded ring you screw on the spindle before putting anything in the morse tapper and when you need to remove the device from the tapper you just unscrew the threaded ring and it forces out anything in the tapper.

jimbur
15th January 2014, 02:09 PM
That is because the head stock is not hollow all the way and you cannot use a knock out bar to remove any device you put in the morse tapper.the record and the coronet came out with a threaded ring you screw on the spindle before putting anything in the morse tapper and when you need to remove the device from the tapper you just unscrew the threaded ring and it forces out anything in the tapper.
Years since I used it but you're right Greyhound. Thanks :U