PDA

View Full Version : I meant handwheel

Tiger
6th June 2005, 04:43 PM
Hey everyone,

Looking back at my previous post, I realise I may not have been accurate :confused: in describing what I needed to do. I actually want to attach a wooden(?) handwheel to the headstock on my lathe. The spindle hole is about 12mm in diameter. I have thought about tapping a thread, but I can see a few problems. The metal may well be hardened, keeping the tap/drill perpendicular could also be a problem. Whatever goes in there will still need a small hole so that I can push a rod through to knock the spur centre out as it tends to get stuck from time to time. Was wondering what others have done as a handwheel would be very beneficial in slowing the lathe down, attaching/removing a chuck. What methods other than tapping holes are there? Any suggestions welcome.

Ashore
6th June 2005, 04:56 PM
want to attach a wooden(?) handwheel to the headstock on my lathe.
as a handwheel would be very beneficial in slowing the lathe down,

Tiger the practise you describe , having a spinning hand wheel to slow the lathe down is fraught with danger
Having worked with rotating m/cs all my working life I would advise against it strongly the possibility of a major accident is too great
Honestly think again ask some wood turners what they thing before you proceed

RgdsRussell

Procrastinate Now! Or think about it and do it later

Tiger
6th June 2005, 05:08 PM
Hi Ashore,

I have seen this feature on other lathes. It was never my intention to stop the lathe turning by grabbing onto the handwheel. When you turn off the lathe, it still turns for another 30 secs or so. I hate standing around watching the lathe turn while it stops, the handwheel allows you to bring it to a dead stop quickly so you can get onto the next stage. My impression was that this was quite a safe addition to the lathe.

arose62
6th June 2005, 05:08 PM
Tiger,

I've been thinking about the same thing for my MC1100.

Handwheels are available for most of the $1k+ lathes out there, and one of my Raffan books mentions how it saves him time and effort.

I thought through the tapping idea, and currently am thinking of turning a wooden MT2 plug to go in the chuck side, and just using a bolt or screw to hold the handwheel on.

Of course, this may well interfere when using a spur drive - I haven't checked all the dimensions yet.

I thought that this approach may be safer, as if something caught in the handwheel, the friction holding the MT plug may break free and act like a clutch.

Cheers,
Andrew

Ashore
6th June 2005, 05:56 PM
Hi Ashore,

I have seen this feature on other lathes. It was never my intention to stop the lathe turning by grabbing onto the handwheel. When you turn off the lathe, it still turns for another 30 secs or so. I hate standing around watching the lathe turn while it stops, the handwheel allows you to bring it to a dead stop quickly so you can get onto the next stage. My impression was that this was quite a safe addition to the lathe.
Point taken Tiger my experance is mostly with metal lathes etc..
If yourve seen it on other m/cs then it may well be practable
I have seen retro fitted to older lathes a break shoe usually wooden fitted to a lever that pushes against the bollom or side of one pully , similar i suppose to the brake on a stagecoach wheel used to stop / slowdown lathes not fitted with an electric , mechanical brake

Rgds
Russell

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

La truciolara
6th June 2005, 08:48 PM
I’m afraid all rotating tools are dangerous, but if you use your handwill not only with your hand but with your head you will certainly save waiting time:)

Sir Stinkalot
6th June 2005, 09:19 PM
It seems to be a standard item for a number of lathes (here (http://au.store.yahoo.com/cws-store/lhbhandwheel.html)). I would try and avoid having any small holes or anything that a finger can get cought into, except the hole in the middle. Perhaps you could get a thread cut to match the spindle and then glue your wood handwheel to that?

RETIRED
6th June 2005, 09:59 PM
Must admit I wouldn't be without one. :D

smidsy
6th June 2005, 10:23 PM
Something you could do, is thread the inside of the outside end of the shaft and use that thread to bolt a wheel or something to that end of the shaft.
The downside of this is not being able to use the push rod but that is not an issue if you're using chucks or face plates.

If I want to slow the lathe down faster when I shut it off I just use my hand on the chuck or face place.
Cheers
Paul