PDA

View Full Version : Fruit selection

turnerted
8th January 2014, 04:31 PM
G'day
Needed to turn up a few fruit as part of a raffle prize.Someone else turning the bowl.
They are apple..jacaranda
pear...spalted oak
mango.camphorlaural
orange and lemon painted with artists acrylic and stipled with sorby texturing tool.
All about life size and finished with spray can polyurathane.
Ted

artme
8th January 2014, 10:52 PM
Excellent work there Ted!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Hermit
9th January 2014, 08:49 PM
Very nice Ted. That lemon looks good enough to squeeze on my fish 'n chips. :2tsup:

Love the figure in the pear, too.

Sawdust Maker
9th January 2014, 09:44 PM
nice work :2tsup:

turnerted
10th January 2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the comments.
When I showed the lemon to my wife, she said thats good, why don't you turn a mango.
My initial response was thats not possible because its not round in cross section.Then I thought about it for a while and had a look at a mango.looking from the cheek side,a mango is just an egg shape with a kink at the bottom.I ran the calipers over the mango and got some dimensions.I prepared a blank which was about 20mm longer than the finished size and rectangular in cross section then drilled a hole in the top end for latter mounting on my fruit screw chuck. I mounted it between centers and turned the egg shape on the wider diamension leaving a disk 10mm thick and about 30mm diameter at each end.I then offset it about 5mm towards the narrower side and turned it down untill it blended in with the previous turning,then similarly offset and turned the other side.I then put it back on centre and sanded with 120 to get it all to blend in.I now parted off at the top end and mounted on my fruit screw chuck.Because it was oval, it didn't sit too well,but I could use the center mark on the bottom end to line things up and it held well enough to part the disk off the end.I now used my power sanding cone with 80 grit to shape the kink on the end then work through the grits to finish it off.
Ted

ian thorn
10th January 2014, 07:40 PM
That's a very nice lot of fruit they will look god in the bowl now a pic of the mango.

Ian

turnerted
13th January 2014, 11:31 AM
Hre you are Ian.Two mangos
Ted

Christos
14th January 2014, 07:49 AM
Really nice.