PDA

View Full Version : Some new lidded boxes

powderpost
9th January 2014, 10:31 PM
A few years back I turned lace bobbins from bone, the then craze waned so the lace bobbins died into oblivion. During a minor clean up I found some bone left over, this prompted a new venture. One threaded, lidded box emerged. This box ended up on the floor in several pieces as a result of buffing. I spoke to a local butcher and acquired some new bone. The two light coloured boxes are bone and the third box is dead finish. C and C welcome.
Jim

300114 300115

tea lady
9th January 2014, 11:05 PM
Oh. They look great. Did you do anything to prepar the bone? I got the impression reading somewhere else that you have to boil the bone first before working with it. And which bits are they? The ends of a big leg bone? :hmm:

tea lady
9th January 2014, 11:09 PM
:pi: So you don't actually have many turns of thread on the lid part. I think I am trying to do to long a thread.:hmm: Have terrible trouble keeping the tool parallel cos the thread cutting bit is not directly parallel with the handle. Maybe I should paint a line that IS parallel on the side of the tool? :think:

powderpost
9th January 2014, 11:33 PM
Oh. They look great. Did you do anything to prepar the bone? I got the impression reading somewhere else that you have to boil the bone first before working with it. And which bits are they? The ends of a big leg bone? :hmm:
A.M. I get shin bones from the butcher, just the bit in the middle about 150mm long. The first lot I put on an ants nest to get rid of the meat, but they didn't touch the marrow. The bones are put then put into hot water and brought to the boil, with some detergent, twice, to kill the fat. Then just go for it.

I like to use only two or two and a half threads to remove the top. Any more is a pita. You can still make a long thread and cut off what you don't need.

Jim

tea lady
9th January 2014, 11:41 PM
A.M. I get shin bones from the butcher, just the bit in the middle about 150mm long. The first lot I put on an ants nest to get rid of the meat, but they didn't touch the marrow. The bones are put then put into hot water and brought to the boil, with some detergent, twice, to kill the fat. Then just go for it.

I like to use only two or two and a half threads to remove the top. Any more is a pita. You can still make a long thread and cut off what you don't need.

Jim:2tsup: So could you make soup? Then do the soap thing? :hmm:

How big are they. You haven't got any dimensions on the pics.

powderpost
10th January 2014, 12:09 AM
:2tsup: So could you make soup? Then do the soap thing? :hmm:

How big are they. You haven't got any dimensions on the pics.
I suppose you could do the soup trick, then add soap. The bone boxes are about 35mm diameter and the tallest is 45mm.

Jim

wheelinround
10th January 2014, 07:07 AM
Nice work Jim have borrowed photos to show end results to relo's hubby who's a butcher whom I have requested thigh bone from when available.

It was good to read Geoff's article on bone turning.

chuck1
10th January 2014, 07:52 AM
I suppose you could do the soup trick, then add soap. The bone boxes are about 35mm diameter and the tallest is 45mm.

Jim
it would be a waste of soup to put soap in it! jokes aside! they are awesome, how do you get the bottom in? is it threaded as well?

Cliff Rogers
10th January 2014, 07:59 AM
.... This box ended up on the floor in several pieces .....Are you out of glue? :?

artme
10th January 2014, 10:37 AM
Well done PP!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

That Dead Finish looks great!! I love this timber. Wish I could get more.

Must try some bone sometime.

TTIT
10th January 2014, 09:26 PM
So are you gonna tell us how you did the tops or do the bullocks around Mareeba have solid shin-bones :o :;

They look very nice by the way :2tsup:

powderpost
10th January 2014, 10:29 PM
So are you gonna tell us how you did the tops or do the bullocks around Mareeba have solid shin-bones :o :;

They look very nice by the way :2tsup:

Vern, some of the bones are more oval than round. I split a couple length ways and cut circles out of the thickest part for the tops and bottoms. I thought rib bone would do the job, but the walls are too thin.
Jim

Mobyturns
11th January 2014, 01:52 PM
Jim you can keep the bone turning all to yourself. :yuk:The smell turns me away from turning bone.

That dead finish box looks vaguely familiar. :) Very nice work mate. :2tsup:

powderpost
11th January 2014, 02:13 PM
it would be a waste of soup to put soap in it! jokes aside! they are awesome, how do you get the bottom in? is it threaded as well?

Hi Chuck, the first one I did screw the top and bottoms in, but it was a lot easier and neater to glue then into a recess.
Jim

Dalboy
12th January 2014, 05:13 AM
Nice looking boxes never tried bone but have turned Antler my mate works in a Zoo so I have a nice little supply.

Jim you can keep the bone turning all to yourself. :yuk:The smell turns me away from turning bone.

That dead finish box looks vaguely familiar. :) Very nice work mate. :2tsup:

If it smells anything like Antler I know exactly what you mean:U:U:U