PDA

View Full Version : Candle holder

bowl-basher
11th January 2014, 05:20 PM
Hi All
We have had a few quite slow weeks at the Mens Shed and I decided to try an "inside out" candle holder. The wood is Myrtle (not much figure But nice to turn)
it is 300mm high and the base (2 rings of 12 segments) is 200 in dia. the little tea light stand is Jackaranda and is 15mm high
There are 3 coats of DO at the moment but I will give it a cut with 0000 steel wool and a few more coats
when I do get the chance to spend time on a project like this I realise just how much I miss having my shed out side the back door :saddest:
Thanks for looking and I would love your comments
Regards
Bowl-Basher

Hermit
11th January 2014, 08:38 PM
Nice work. It looks great. :2tsup:
What's the little brass dish visible in the second pic?

Simplicity
11th January 2014, 08:47 PM
As one of the characters from Little Britten would say its
GORGESSSSS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

SNAFU11
12th January 2014, 07:45 AM
Very nice there Basher it looks excellent mate,one of the things i want to try is the inside/outside turning when my skills get a bit better....well done :2tsup:

cheers Mick!!!

wheelinround
12th January 2014, 08:50 AM
Mr G you haven't lost your touch at all :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sturdee
12th January 2014, 09:45 AM

It's a candle dish (http://www.popsshed.com.au/Product_Main.aspx?cid=47&scid=144&pid=424), I got one the other day for a candle holder that I want to make. Holds the larger candles very well.

Peter

Edit : posted at the same time as Bowl-basher. They definitely are available from Pop's Shed.

bowl-basher
12th January 2014, 09:47 AM

Hi Hermit
Thanks for the comment.
The "dish" is a candle plate it is 80mm in dia and in the attached photos still has a protective plastic cover.
I used them a lot on bigger candle holders and they save a lot of frilly work on the top. I stuck that one in there just because I had a couple left in my bag
The only place that I ever found them was a company called " Stiles and Bates" in the UK Stiles and Bates (http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk) ( hope this link works)
Regards
Bowl-Basher

Hermit
12th January 2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks for that guys. I'll have to order a few for future projects. Been meaning to get some standard candle cups too.

I've never heard of Stiles and Bates, (the link works fine BB), so I added them to my list of woodturning suppliers. I visit Pop's shed regularly, that's where my lathe came from, so I'm surprised that I hadn't noticed that they also sell them.
(Another supplier for you, Bowl Basher.)

Dalboy
12th January 2014, 01:00 PM
Nice design and well finished the only concern is the tea light in the middle( sorry I had to mention it)

That,s where I get most of my supplies from as they are only down the road also Project Kits - Woodturning - Crafts & Hobbies | Axminster.co.uk (http://www.axminster.co.uk/crafts-hobbies/woodturning/project-kits) also do them here in the UK

smiife
12th January 2014, 04:09 PM
Hi BB,
I like thecandle holder very much, but also have to agree
with dalboy would the small tealight get hot?
Looks good with just the big candle on top
I think,, great job haven, t tried that method of turning yet
Well done
Cheers smiife:2tsup: