PDA

View Full Version : CBN Wheels

WOODbTURNER
14th January 2014, 05:36 PM
Got a couple of new toys from the States. They are 80 and 180 grit cbn grinding wheels with radiused edges. The edges are great for round scrapers and the square hss cutting tips that I use.http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

nz_carver
14th January 2014, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the dark side mate

WOODbTURNER
14th January 2014, 06:09 PM
NZ, been on that side for 30 years. Ask my missus as she reckons the neighbourhood kids learnt how to swear from the language that comes out of my shed.

smiife
14th January 2014, 07:32 PM
Hi woodb,
I have a cbn wheel , I think they are great,
Hope you don, t mind me asking, but why
did you buy it from U.S.A.???
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

WOODbTURNER
14th January 2014, 08:10 PM
Smife,

I got the pair for the price of one in Australia and it took only 5 days to get here in Darwin. They are top quality too. I think a saving of 2 for 1 is a great deal and hard to ignore by not buying in Aust. Oh, I also like the radiused edges which is suitable for my use.

artme
14th January 2014, 08:13 PM
NZ, been on that side for 30 years. Ask my missus as she reckons the neighbourhood kids learnt how to swear from the language that comes out of my shed.

If the kids must learn it's best they learn from an old hand!!:D:D

WOODbTURNER
14th January 2014, 08:17 PM
Artme,

The wife also says that the immigrants next door must think swearing is the norm. I try hard not to swear though!

smiife
14th January 2014, 08:19 PM
Smife,

I got the pair for the price of one in Australia and it took only 5 days to get here in Darwin. They are top quality too. I think a saving of 2 for 1 is a great deal and hard to ignore by not buying in Aust. Oh, I also like the radiused edges which is suitable for my use.

Hi woodb,
Yeah I can understand your reasons, I wasn, t critisizing, just wondered
why, 5 days and half price are good enough reasons
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Colin62
14th January 2014, 08:23 PM
Oh, I also like the radiused edges which is suitable for my use.

I've not seen them with the radiused edges before. A pair of CBN wheels is on my medium term shopping list, and I wouldn't mind knowing who you bought them from?

Simplicity
14th January 2014, 08:27 PM
Me to in the us link please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

WOODbTURNER
14th January 2014, 09:01 PM
I've not seen them with the radiused edges before. A pair of CBN wheels is on my medium term shopping list, and I wouldn't mind knowing who you bought them from?

PM sent

WOODbTURNER
14th January 2014, 09:05 PM
Me to in the us link please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PM sent

_fly_
14th January 2014, 09:18 PM
OK add me to your PM please, like the idea of the rounded corners.

Colin62
14th January 2014, 09:21 PM
PM sent

Thanks. Looks like you need to negotiate some commission for referrals :)

WOODbTURNER
14th January 2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks. Looks like you need to negotiate some commission for referrals :)

Colin,

Yeah that would be great hey!

WtB

WOODbTURNER
14th January 2014, 09:45 PM
There is similar cbn radius edge demo on youtube but by a different seller. Look up D-Way Tools radius edge cbn grinding wheel on youtube

dai sensei
14th January 2014, 10:08 PM
Looks great :2tsup:

I picked up one today from Carrols I've had on order for a while. I'll try to fit it tomorrow, the 1/2 speed Carbatec I have has a weird wheel hub size, so hopefully Ok.

nosnow
14th January 2014, 10:12 PM
would love the link as well

Treecycle
14th January 2014, 10:13 PM
So you haven't gone too far yet Neil?:no:

Evanism
17th January 2014, 12:01 AM
I love my 200mm CBN. What a fantastic wheel.

It's the 80, reminds me in need to get the180.

robo hippy
17th January 2014, 06:57 AM
The radius edges are an idea from David Ellsworth. I am not sold in the rounded edges. The idea is that instead of rotating your handles through the whole arc. You swing part way, then push off to the side. There is a video clip up on You Tube or if you go to the D Way web site. My turning muscle doesn't get in the way, and I have gotten used to the flat wheels. With scrapers, if you push, I would think you would be getting some wiggles in the swept back part, where a straight edge would yield a better shaped edge. I can see it being better for the hollowing tips if you put them in a jig. John Lucas has a sharpening clip up on You Tube where he shows this. I don't do much hollowing.

CBN wheels are the future of grinding wheels for woodturners. It is not a matter of 'if', but 'when' you get them. They are just so much better than standard wheels in any way you can think of. Even money wise. They will outlast any comparable $ amount for any other wheels you can get.

robo hippy

WOODbTURNER
17th January 2014, 11:08 AM
G'day Robo,

You can still use the flat front surface for your use. I just find the radius more handy than the flat sided cbn one I got off Dave S. of D-way. By the way, the ones I got did not come from D-way. I fully agree that the cbn wheels #### over the alox wheels. Cooler, stuff all dust and no re-surfacing of wheel.

Cheers
WbT

robo hippy
17th January 2014, 11:31 AM
I have gotten used to the 1 1/2 inch width, which I prefer over the 1 inch wide wheels. I used to run off the edges when sharpening gouges, with and without jigs.

I would guess that the wheels you have are from the same supplier that Dave gets his from, and now they are branching out. Not surprising since they are such a good product.

robo hippy

robo hippy
17th January 2014, 01:58 PM
I asked Dave if they were from his supplier and he said no. So some one else is making them. He commented that there can be huge differences in the grinding matrix. So, I guess time will tell if they are as good or not.

robo hippy

Evanism
18th January 2014, 03:37 AM
This might be trivial, but I've found that putting a few larger rare earth magnets just above the grinder catches all (?) the metal swarf I've been generating

Before, after a nice big session touching up about 12 chisels there was a nasty dust. I've never liked metal stink, so I swept it up using a little spare magnet...eureka!

Now the magnet gets the fuzzies and I just wipe it down occasionally.

WOODbTURNER
18th January 2014, 11:48 AM
This might be trivial, but I've found that putting a few larger rare earth magnets just above the grinder catches all (?) the metal swarf I've been generating

Before, after a nice big session touching up about 12 chisels there was a nasty dust. I've never liked metal stink, so I swept it up using a little spare magnet...eureka!

Yeah done the same. Works great hey!

nalmo
19th January 2014, 10:47 AM
Doesn't using the edge of the wheel adjust the angle on the cutting face?
If you went right round to the edge of the radius of the wheel keeping the tool at 90 degrees to the axis of the wheel, you'd end up with a 90 degree edge.

WOODbTURNER
19th January 2014, 11:17 AM
Doesn't using the edge of the wheel adjust the angle on the cutting face?
If you went right round to the edge of the radius of the wheel keeping the tool at 90 degrees to the axis of the wheel, you'd end up with a 90 degree edge.

Nalmo,

You don't actually rotate your tool right around to the side. If you look at youtube for D-way cbn wheels, Dave shows how it works. It works great for me.
By the way, I have no commercial interest with any of these products, just trying to save woodturners money.

Beedeejay
19th March 2014, 11:47 PM
hey all,
Can somebody please PM me the details of this supplier please I'm in the market for a wheel (or two:;) and wouldn't mind checking this out
Cheers Ben

WOODbTURNER
20th March 2014, 12:11 PM
hey all,
Can somebody please PM me the details of this supplier please I'm in the market for a wheel (or two:;) and wouldn't mind checking this out
Cheers Ben

Ben,

PM sent

DaveTTC
20th March 2014, 12:26 PM
CBN is definitely the way to go in my opinion ... just saving up the moolah.

Love your idea of the earth magnet Evanism

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

BobL
20th March 2014, 01:11 PM

There is a device called a magnetic broom that you can buy or make to pick up ferrous dust.
Here's mine http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=134876&p=1313244#post1313244

BTW to catch more metal dust, add a piece of sheet metal to the magnet.
To remove the dust wrap the sheet metal and magnet in a glad wrap - then carefully peel of the glad wrap so that the dust stays inside.

None of this prevents metal swarf going all over the place in my shed.

DaveTTC
20th March 2014, 05:20 PM
I like that too BobL

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

nosnow
20th March 2014, 06:55 PM

Would love to know to
Cheers Rod