PDA

View Full Version : Palm seed boxes

powderpost
15th January 2014, 09:23 PM
I have had some tagua palm seeds in the workshop for about twenty years, so long infact they have turned a dirty brown colour, which is more than a bit disappointing. Today I made acorn from two of them, one for the top and one for the bottom. Even though they are so old they still took a lovely hand chased thread. The dark acorn on the right is the tagua palm seed. The difficulty with the tagua seed is that they have an irregular, unpredictable void in them. Part of this void can be seen inside the top piece.
The strange little box on the left, is turned from the seed of the duom palm. This seed has a nice symmetrical cavity, making it easier to predict the shape. This is the first time I have turned this palm seed, but will be definitely looking for more of them. When turned it is a very nice translucent material, much like what I had experienced with the tagua seed.
If any one has a couple of tagua seeds spare and would like to send them to a new home, could you p.m. me please. I don't expect them to be free.
C and C expected.
Thanks... Jim

Hermit
15th January 2014, 10:30 PM
These look great Jim. :2tsup::2tsup:

I had no idea that palm seeds could be turned, or that they'd look so good. I really love that translucent appearance. Does light go through them easily?

I'd never heard of a Doum palm, either, and had to do a bit of research.

coffenup
15th January 2014, 10:36 PM
nice job there Jim
Regards Michael

TTIT
15th January 2014, 10:39 PM
Very impressive Jim :2tsup: What are the dimensions??? - I've never seen either of the seeds to have a clue how big/small they are :shrug:

artme
15th January 2014, 11:02 PM
Very impressive turning there PP!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I,ve often wondered what they were like to work with.

I remember Carbatec had them for sale several years back.

powderpost
15th January 2014, 11:03 PM
Very impressive Jim :2tsup: What are the dimensions??? - I've never seen either of the seeds to have a clue how big/small they are :shrug:

Vern, the white box is 30mm diameter and 35 high. The top of the box is pretty much the size of one seed. The tagua palm seed vary quite considerably in size. The acorn is made from two seeds and measures 50mm long over all and 30mm diameter at the top. Both cut like firm plastic and produce nice long shavings.
Jim

powderpost
15th January 2014, 11:08 PM
These look great Jim. :2tsup::2tsup:

I had no idea that palm seeds could be turned, or that they'd look so good. I really love that translucent appearance. Does light go through them easily?

I'd never heard of a Doum palm, either, and had to do a bit of research.

Hi Steve, surprising what can be turned, yes light passes through both. There are quite a few seeds that can be turned. The difficulty is working out how to hold them for turning.

Jim

Old-Biker-UK
16th January 2014, 05:00 AM
Neat boxes:2tsup:
I found the easiest way to hold them is by hot-melt gluing to a short end of rod and held in an independent 4-jaw chuck to adjust for the best cut.
The irregular voids can be a PITA when they appear, this handle was rough turned, drilled, tapped & held on a threaded mandrel in a collet, then the void showed up...I tried filling it with coloured epoxy but was not happy with the result so it went in the bin.
Brought a few Palm nuts (locally called 'Elephant Apples') from S.Africa a few years ago and as Powderpost says they have a more regular void.

Mark

Mobyturns
16th January 2014, 08:14 AM
Jim they look great. :2tsup: Is this the seed that Satya was showing us?

QuarkVI
16th January 2014, 08:35 AM
The boxes are beautiful.

Anyone know where to get the nuts in NZ?

cheers
Robin

tea lady
16th January 2014, 09:51 AM
I have some of the tagua nuts. We did a group buy some time ago. But I haven't turned any yet. I think I have a couple to Ken Wraight. :think: Will have a dig around.

dai sensei
16th January 2014, 09:54 AM
amazing Jim :cool:. It blows me away you can hand thread them that small :o

I have quite a few of the nuts at home, but not much use to you or me at the moment :-

Lyle
16th January 2014, 12:42 PM
The voids are the downfall for the Tagua nut. I have tried with varying success to fill them.
Using coloured 24 hour araldite, I drill a hole into them and fill them up.
I seal the hole with tape the lightly grip them in the jaws of my chuck and spin them for a few seconds.
Pull tape off and check to see if the hole need topping up, if so repeat process.
Then stand upright til glue sets.
Then drill/turn as you need.
I have tried colours to disguise or highlight the void.

Made pens, keyrings etc as I said with varying success.
I like the long threads that come off the tool when turning.

I have bought a lot over time mostly from the working with wood shows or carbatec.

I like them and wish I was as good as powderpost (Jim) at turning them.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th January 2014, 12:50 PM
You, sirrah, have a very deft touch! :2tsup:

Vern, the white box is 30mm diameter and 35 high. The top of the box is pretty much the size of one seed. The tagua palm seed vary quite considerably in size. The acorn is made from two seeds and measures 50mm long over all and 30mm diameter at the top. Both cut like firm plastic and produce nice long shavings.
Jim

So... each is turned from two seeds? I wonder how they compare to each other for movement? Does the duom(?) palm seed take stain?

Y'see, now I'm wondering if "likelike" acorn boxes could be made with one of each. Your lovely brown Tagua for the nut and a green-stained Duom for the cup. Suitably textured, of course...

:think:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th January 2014, 12:52 PM
Huh.

Rereading the first post, it's now obvious that the first step is to buy some Tagua nuts and wait almost twenty years! :doh:

RETIRED
16th January 2014, 02:17 PM
Huh.

Rereading the first post, it's now obvious that the first step is to buy some Tagua nuts and wait almost twenty years! :doh:N a h,

he's

a

bit

slow,

that's

all. :D

powderpost
16th January 2014, 03:52 PM
Jim they look great. :2tsup: Is this the seed that Satya was showing us?
Yes Geoff, the same seeds. Old-Biker-Uk refered to then as elephant nuts, as far as I can see they are one and the same.
Jim

turnerted
16th January 2014, 03:57 PM
Thay look great Jim
Ted

powderpost
16th January 2014, 08:26 PM
You, sirrah, have a very deft touch! :2tsup:

So... each is turned from two seeds? I wonder how they compare to each other for movement? Does the duom(?) palm seed take stain?

Y'see, now I'm wondering if "likelike" acorn boxes could be made with one of each. Your lovely brown Tagua for the nut and a green-stained Duom for the cup. Suitably textured, of course...

:think:
Hi Andy, the seeds are inert, so there is no movement. They both will take stains well. My tagua nuts were very old and I was surprised at the discolouration, I was expecting them to be white like the doum palm nut. The tagua nut is not a regular shape and can be elongated triangular shape to a globular form, making design difficult.
Jim

powderpost
16th January 2014, 08:39 PM
N a h,

he's

a

bit

slow,

that's

all. :D

My defence is that I live in the deep north where life is pretty laid back. Victoria, on the other hand, and it's people generally, is noted for art, culture, and industry. Some areas are still in a backwater where it takes four years to build a kitchen. Which brings to mind something about stones and glass houses????? :o :D

Jim

artful bodger
16th January 2014, 09:51 PM
Hey! that's neat!
Making a seed out of a seed.
I'm gunna chop down a tree and carve a tree out of it!
No offence PP, nice work.