PDA

View Full Version : Putting an Acme saw filing vise back to work

rob streeper
17th January 2014, 02:18 PM
I picked up an Acme saw filing vise on Ebay a few months ago. These vises were used on the Acme saw filing machine and apparently most have been removed for bench mounted use. As a result many of these vises lack any type of base on which to stand properly.

The vise was listed as having a stuck adjuster but otherwise was in good shape. The vise arrived and indeed the jaw adjuster was completely locked with rust. I took no pictures of the process but it involved a thorough wire brushing to remove the paint applied by the seller and years of accumulated grime and rust, multiple applications of penetrating oil and the use of a 1/2" pneumatic impact gun fitted with a drag link socket to free it up. That done I set the vise aside.

In succeeding months the vise sat unattended as I worked on other projects. During a spate of cold weather recently as I hurriedly closed up shop I managed to topple the vise over and snapped the end off of the closing handle. I then resolved to put the vise into use beginning with a repair of the broken closing handle. My first attempt at repair was made using oxy-acetylene brazing. Try as I might I was unable to get the cast iron handle to wet with braze. I tried 5 different types of brazing rod/flux combinations to no avail. Using an oxidizing flame I managed to burn out some of the graphite over time and got just a dab of 40% silver solder to bond. I then decided to give it my all. The next day I pulled out my arc-welder, mounted a 1/8" MG260 55% nickel rod, clamped up the broken bit, dialed up 90 amps and let it rip. This is the result after filing.

Now for the base. I had a couple of pieces of angled plate steel that had been part of a shipping pallet for a piece of equipment that I scrounged. After thirty minutes of sawing, grinding, drilling and wire brushing I had two mounting plates for the vise. A quick search in the parts cabinet yielded suitable 3/8"-16 bolts and washers.

Remove years of crud from the mounting holes,

Now to tune the vise jaws up a bit. The jaw faces had obviously seen some rough handling and were in need of dressing. The bases were attached and the whole assembly was clamped to the workbench for corrective action. Fifteen minutes of draw-filing with my Big Bastard file trued them up easily.

A quick check with the straight edge,

shows all is well.

The day was getting on so I thought to proceed directly to painting. First the filth was removed with de-greaser.

A wipe down and compressed air blow dry was followed by the application of Krylon gloss Sage Green paint.

Two coats, allow to dry to the touch, re-assemble and back to the bench for final dressing.

Clean the rust from the jaw faces,

Now apply two coats of clear lacquer, clamp the vise to the bench top, insert saw and we're ready to go!

DSEL74
17th January 2014, 04:53 PM
These are the kings of saw vises, pity we don't have them over here.

Simplicity
17th January 2014, 05:30 PM
Could you also use that for weight training
Just am idea lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

rob streeper
18th January 2014, 11:13 AM
Could you also use that for weight training
Just am idea lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

With the tool-density of my shop I take weight training every day I use it.

orraloon
18th January 2014, 11:22 AM
It does look solid. I bet there is no chatter working a blade clamped in that. It would be best suited in a permanently mounted position as it must be a chore lifting on and off the bench. Good to see nice old tools saved.
Regards
John

rob streeper
18th January 2014, 02:29 PM
It does look solid. I bet there is no chatter working a blade clamped in that. It would be best suited in a permanently mounted position as it must be a chore lifting on and off the bench. Good to see nice old tools saved.
Regards
John
Hi John,

I am still getting it adjusted but it is much more solid than the Disston #3 I have been using is. I made holes in the mounting brackets for permanent fixation but the C clamp shown combined with the mass of the vise produces a very steady filing platform. I don't know what it weighs but it is no problem for me to move it around.

Cheers,
Rob

Ron Bontz
18th January 2014, 02:39 PM
Hey Rob. Is yours the aluminum version? I just finished having my cast steel version, 28", reworked. Haven't even had a chance to use it yet. Too many post in the fire. Best wishes, Ron

rob streeper
18th January 2014, 02:53 PM
Hey Rob. Is yours the aluminum version? I just finished having my cast steel version, 28", reworked. Haven't even had a chance to use it yet. Too many post in the fire. Best wishes, Ron
Hi Ron,

Mine, at least from what I can tell, has no aluminum parts. The handle is made of very high graphite cast iron - I couldn't even get it to take braze using silver-solder. I'll put it on a scale tomorrow or Sunday and post the weight. I am guessing it goes about 35-40 lbs.

Thanks,
Rob

Ron Bontz
19th January 2014, 03:55 AM
That sounds about right. If you should decide to get rid of it. I know a guy that might want it. :)

rob streeper
26th January 2014, 12:04 PM
I finally got around to weighing this thing - 46.5 lbs.

Cheers,
Rob

rob streeper
24th December 2017, 06:35 AM
Like many saw enthusiasts I'm always on the lookout for saw making and maintenance tools, particularly unique items. Not too long ago I happened across another Acme saw filing vise. It was listed as a "Buy it now" with the "Make offer" potion. I quickly put in an offer and much to my surprise it was accepted. I paid and waited.

The iron vise discussed above is on the left and the new one on the right.

In my rush to submit an offer I didn't read the full listing and when it arrived I was very surprised and doubly pleased to find that it's the aluminum version (28.6 lb.). It also has the original feet/supports and something I hadn't seen before - a chip tray on the back jaw.

This shows the chip tray from a different angle.

I was again surprised to find that the aluminum vise is a bit shorter than the iron version. The casting markings and all other features are the same. The overall appearance of the vise suggests that it may be unused.

NCArcher
24th December 2017, 09:21 AM
Just curious, do all the ACME vices have the facility to attach a chip tray? Is it something they all came with but were discarded as a bit of a novelty?
Nice pickup btw. :2tsup:

rob streeper
24th December 2017, 10:08 AM
The iron vise I have has the screw holes so I assume that at one point it had one too.

DSEL74
24th December 2017, 10:54 AM
My recollection is that the acme vices came with saw filling machines. On a machine the chip tray would be more relevant than when used for hand sharpening due to volume, would it not?

Could’ve an explanation why so do, some don’t.

rob streeper
24th December 2017, 01:40 PM
I've seen pictures of some filing machines but don't recall seeing the chip tray. Very little information available on the net about the company and products compared to Foley/Belsaw.

Bushmiller
28th December 2017, 04:24 AM
Rob

A good solid saw clamp is essential for filing and that style looks like it has spades of it. It will be interesting to compare the new aluminium version to the cast iron. I would expect the cast iron version to be the superior performer, which is probably why Ron Bontz had his eye on it back in 2014.

Regards
Paul

hiroller
29th December 2017, 09:07 PM
Nice score. I bid on that vise too! Apparently my offer was the same as yours.
I thought an alloy one would be cheaper to ship.
Curious to see how it compares.

Luke Maddux
30th December 2017, 07:00 AM
Wow, I've never seen one of those. That just got added to my (disturbingly long) list of regular ebay searches.

Cheers,
Luke

Ron Bontz
2nd January 2018, 03:20 PM
Well looks like you scored. The aluminum version most likely came from the "Bench Top Model" filer. I have one of them, as well as the cast iron one ( gray vise ). I do prefer using the cast iron version, But the weight of it makes it a permanent fixture on my bench. The aluminum ( blue/ green ) barely has a scratch in it, and is quite solid as well, but needed a new handle and is 26" long vs. the 28" cast iron vice.427082427083427084427085

rob streeper
3rd January 2018, 08:35 AM
Hi Ron,

Nice collection. We may have bid against each other for some of those in the past. Did any of yours come with chip trays? Interesting that the commonly seen filing machines, Acme and Foley-Belsaw, work from one side.

Cheers,
Rob

Ron Bontz
3rd January 2018, 04:24 PM
Yes. Both of mine have a chip tray. I made one out of a piece of aluminum angle some time back as well.