PDA

View Full Version : The cypress vase

powderpost
20th January 2014, 09:48 PM
My son presented me with a cypress stump that had been in a fire and then spent a lot of time in the sun. It was the very bottom of the tree and had roots sticking out of it every where. I didn't take a photo of it before the exercise started.

This is the stump, trimmed and ready to shake shyte out of the lathe. The tap root is on the right (tail stock end) the other end had been in a fire.

The same piece, tamed and behaving itself.

The vase will be finished in the morning and I will post a photo of it.

Jim

TTIT
20th January 2014, 09:57 PM
There's some awesome colour and figure in that:2tsup: - should come up very nice. Hope it's not the same type of cypress I turned a few years back - 2 years later it was still oozing the stickiest resin you can imagine! :C.

So what are you going to glue to it ???:;

Christos
20th January 2014, 10:18 PM
to me it looks like a fun project.

Hermit
20th January 2014, 11:59 PM
That is going to look fantastic with a finish on it, Jim. Very nice indeed. :2tsup:

Tim the Timber Turner
21st January 2014, 01:30 PM
Hi Jim

So what sort of glue did you use to laminate this piece:?.

You did a great job' I can't see any glue lines anywhere :roll:

Cheers

Tim:)

Sturdee
21st January 2014, 01:41 PM
I was wondering whether they were two pieces and screwed together. :U

Peter.

powderpost
21st January 2014, 04:16 PM
Well, after a very interesting and challenging morning, the vase is completed. It measures 220mm high x 165mm diameter. Finished with U-Beaut traditional wax. As TTIT mentioned in a previous post, cypress is notorious for bleeding, so I opted for the wax finish instead of sprayed lacquer. It is hollowed out to leave 8mm wall thickness. There was some concern about fracturing with all the cracking. Time will tell all.
I have to announce also that this one was turned from one single piece of timber and therefore was no glue was required, not even one chased thread. :no: :p.

Jim

turnerted
21st January 2014, 04:20 PM
Be fun hollowing that out Jim.
Ted

Christos
21st January 2014, 04:21 PM
Like a said before, what a great challenge. I have to keep an eye out for pieces like that. :2tsup:

chuck1
21st January 2014, 05:40 PM
powderpost that is awesome! really hope it doesn't crack!

wheelinround
21st January 2014, 06:29 PM
Jim isn't it good your used to burnt offerings usually as you have told us your made to eat those though.:p

Well done like it much if it does crack then you can use CA, epoxy or glue segments in :U

artme
21st January 2014, 06:44 PM
Love it PP!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I fully understand your reasons for a wax finish but that would
look out of this world if done in gloss>

Hermit
21st January 2014, 10:03 PM
Yep, it does look stunning with a finish on it. :2tsup:
I wish someone would give me a stump like that. Wouldn't know where to start at hollowing such a beast though.:(