PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Habits

NewLou
7th June 2005, 09:42 PM
Gidday:D

I've had a number of different instincts about this one but have finally settled into a routine. When measuring up and marking on the line I've found myself for some reason changing where I aim my mark for. From time to time I've drifted from the inside, Middle, and outside of the Linemark.

Finally I seem to be in the Routine of aiming for the Middle of the MArk because I seem to get the best consistancy using this method. The question is this:

When Marking out where do you aim your mark? ............ and why? is it the inside.......... middle............ or outside of the mark line you aim for????

REgards Lou

Pat
7th June 2005, 10:05 PM
I go for outside of the mark, cuting into the waste. You can always trim a mil or two, but it's damn hard to add them. :( Yes i Learned this from personal experience, argh! :)

bitingmidge
7th June 2005, 10:16 PM
I use a big black Nikko pen mostly so my answer is all three.

P
:D

zenwood
7th June 2005, 10:29 PM
Not sure I understand the question. I mark using a knife, and cut in the waste "splitting the line" i.e. put the edge of the saw kerf in the middle of the (ideally zero-width) line. It works for me:), assuming the line is in the right place to begin with, but that's another story:o.

RETIRED
7th June 2005, 11:14 PM
I use a big black Nikko pen mostly so my answer is all three.

P
:D
I see you haven't changed markers. :D

powderpost
7th June 2005, 11:56 PM
For handcut dovetails I use a knife because it cuts the fibres for accuracy. For inlay bandings I use a pencil and mentally note how accurate the mark is and cut accordingly. For everything else, I use a four fold rule but don't open it because the marks are too close together and my eyesight isn't as good as it was. :)
Jim

Sturdee
8th June 2005, 12:23 AM
When Marking out where do you aim your mark? ............ and why? is it the inside.......... middle............ or outside of the mark line you aim for????

I don't believe in marking out it is so oldfashioned. :D I normally set the fence on the TS and just cut.

Peter.

Cliff Rogers
8th June 2005, 12:43 AM
Mark? What mark? :D

ozwinner
8th June 2005, 07:36 PM
Measuring Habits

Next time Im in a Monkery or a Nunery, Ill measure a few for you.

Al :D