PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand post visit report, Part II

Willy Nelson
21st January 2014, 12:54 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen
Following on from the thread New Zealand Post visit report, I would like to add a new thread on what I have done with the timbers I swapped with ian Thorn and Bam Bam (Michael).

I was waiting delivery of some Sierras, which finall arrived. In the original thread, I promised to turn some pens as souvenirs for the family, I have done this after they picked their timber of choice. I secretly chose Matai Burl and Swamp Rota. Unfortunately, the Matai burl blew out and the Swamp Rota was chosen by by son :((. Rewrea was the favourite amongst my kids as it had the most feature and interesting grain.

The timbers are soft, but very different from Aussie
Pictured are (L-R) Rewrea, Kauri, Rota, Red Beech and Swamp Rota

Thanks
Willy
Jarrahland

Christos
21st January 2014, 03:54 PM
They have come up looking quite nice.

BamBam53
22nd January 2014, 07:59 PM
Nice work on the pens Willy. The burl Matai is a bit difficult to work. Of my three attempts to turn it, I have had one blowout and got two pens. Michael

Willy Nelson
23rd January 2014, 01:48 AM
Nice work on the pens Willy. The burl Matai is a bit difficult to work. Of my three attempts to turn it, I have had one blowout and got two pens. Michael

I had my eye on this blank, am generally quite experienced turning burls, so sharpened chisel just prior to starting, was really disappointed to have it shatter, Oh well, that's the way the pen blank crumbles.
Willy