PDA

View Full Version : Using Resin with your Woodturning

brendan stemp
22nd January 2014, 06:32 AM
This is my latest YT video. It is a comprehensive look at the basics of using epoxy resin in your woodturning.

Resin 'n Wood Episode 1 The Basics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PHwjtgyX3I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUYJ4e0XACGJQjJvfmVUcE-Q)

DSEL74
22nd January 2014, 10:21 AM
Pity you didn't add a here one i prepared earlier to come back and show the finished item. I know there was a variation one shown at the end, but I personally would have liked to see the coins finished.

dai sensei
22nd January 2014, 06:46 PM
I thought it was a well thought out and informative presentation Brendan, well done :2tsup:. Look forward to your others in the series. Your videos are certainly far better and more professional than mine :U

Couple of points if I may.

When choosing containers, to make sure they are compatible with the product, nothing worse than the old melting cup issue :~
Polyester resin, the most dangerous part of MEKP is to the eyes. Yes it can be an irritant to the skin, but get any in your eyes, you will lose your sight permanently :o. Even with epoxies you should wear glasses (although I am guilty of not at times :-).
Strange you mix your epoxy Part A into the Part B. You should do it the other way around to avoid having too much catalyst in your mix at any one time. For small pours probably not an issue, but for large pours it can be, small portions of the Part A can boil straight away in large quantities of Part B. For your product perhaps it is not so critical although even the instructions for 606 indicate B into A.
Blow torch to get rid of bubbles is not recommended, it works, but can also set your mix on fire. Another simple method is to blow on them through a straw although you need to ensure you don't get any saliva in the mix.
I have often got bubbles forming against the cast items, due to lack of absorption or surface tension, and painting on the resin with an appropriate paintbrush prior to the main pour can help.

Cheers

brendan stemp
22nd January 2014, 08:33 PM
I thought it was a well thought out and informative presentation Brendan, well done :2tsup:. Look forward to your others in the series. Your videos are certainly far better and more professional than mine :U

Couple of points if I may.

When choosing containers, to make sure they are compatible with the product, nothing worse than the old melting cup issue :~
Polyester resin, the most dangerous part of MEKP is to the eyes. Yes it can be an irritant to the skin, but get any in your eyes, you will lose your sight permanently :o. Even with epoxies you should wear glasses (although I am guilty of not at times :-). Yep, have very little experience with MEKP but thought I should say something and my info was from Wikipedia. I didn't know how valid it was but you have confirmed what I have read.
Strange you mix your epoxy Part A into the Part B. You should do it the other way around to avoid having too much catalyst in your mix at any one time. For small pours probably not an issue, but for large pours it can be, small portions of the Part A can boil straight away in large quantities of Part B. For your product perhaps it is not so critical although even the instructions for 606 indicate B into A. Never had a problem; even today I mixed 1200 gms (on a warm day) and had no problems.
Blow torch to get rid of bubbles is not recommended, it works, but can also set your mix on fire. Another simple method is to blow on them through a straw although you need to ensure you don't get any saliva in the mix. Blow torch was suggested to me by owner of Solid Solutions. Have tried it only a couple of times with no problems. Kept it brief though.
I have often got bubbles forming against the cast items, due to lack of absorption or surface tension, and painting on the resin with an appropriate paintbrush prior to the main pour can help. Good point. One of those points I didn't include for the sake of brevity. I'll mention it in another episode.

Cheers

Thanks Neil, your input is very much appreciated because I know you probably have had more experience with resins than me. One general point I would make about this video is that is was hard to keep it to the amount of time it ended being, which I thought was too long. But there is so much to say on the topic, so it was a matter of what could I leave out. But your points are good ones and I have responded to some in text. A lot of what I have learnt has been throught trial and error so, while it may seem that I disagree with some of your points rest assure its more a case of 'it has worked for me so far'.

dai sensei
22nd January 2014, 08:53 PM
No probs Brendan, you are probably way ahead of me now casting, especially with the epoxy. I'm still playing around :U

Hermit
25th January 2014, 12:37 PM
Thanks for putting in the effort to make this vid/series Brendan. :2tsup:
I've been thinking about trying epoxy sometime soon, but wouldn't have known where to start. Only ever played with Araldite, for small cracks etc.

After reading Robbie's comment on YouTube, I had to look up the definition of 'defenestration'. I thought I'd heard it somewhere before.

Defenestration is the act of throwing someone or something out of a window.
(I must have missed that part of the video.)

brendan stemp
26th January 2014, 07:21 AM
Thanks for putting in the effort to make this vid/series Brendan. :2tsup:
I've been thinking about trying epoxy sometime soon, but wouldn't have known where to start. Only ever played with Araldite, for small cracks etc.

After reading Robbie's comment on YouTube, I had to look up the definition of 'defenestration'. I thought I'd heard it somewhere before.

(I must have missed that part of the video.)

Yeah, defenstration??? Thanks for clearing that up. I thought at first it was a typo. And I'm not sure what that was about. I might need to ask him.

And thanks for your feedback.

Hermit
26th January 2014, 12:01 PM
Yeah, defenestration??? Thanks for clearing that up. I thought at first it was a typo. And I'm not sure what that was about. I might need to ask him.

And thanks for your feedback.

I doubt that he meant anything bad or offensive. Robbie's not like that. Might have just been a typo, I think, or his Irish sense of humour.

issatree
26th January 2014, 04:00 PM
Hi All, Brendan,
Brendan, you are certainly one of the Best Makers of those Videos, ever.
Have seen you do the Epoxy it in the past, but still watched the whole lot.
Not my cup of tea, but still very interesting, so keep up those Great Vids.

The Razor was also interesting,