PDA

View Full Version : WIP Euc burl hollow vessel with spirals

hughie
22nd January 2014, 08:13 PM
This is the last of my large chunk of Eucalyptus burl. Its got some issues with cracks or perhaps voids might be a better word. After roughing it out I found was ready to come apart. It has been roughly hollowed out to around 25mm+ wall thickness. As you can the fault line just about goes all the way around and is very deep. Glued up with 5min epoxy and taped to prevent it running out, will leave it over night to fully harden up.

The blank was around 150mm or 6" square and it will have 15 spiral set carved into it, well that's the plan at present and possibly a dark hardwood collar of Gidgee or Sally Wattle depending on what I have. The plan is 15 spirals at the moment I tend to keep the final embellishment decision flexible as well as the finish.

powderpost
23rd January 2014, 11:34 AM
You are a brave man Hughie... :;
Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd January 2014, 03:13 PM
Can we have before- & after- shots of the shed walls & ceiling? :innocent:

turnerted
23rd January 2014, 04:21 PM
Best of luck Hughie
Ted

dai sensei
23rd January 2014, 04:29 PM
Wow you are keen. How did you stop the resin just draining away? Or did you fill the cracks, cover with gaffa, then keep it spinning to ensure the resin stayed near the surface :rolleyes::U:U

Looking forward to progress.

hughie
23rd January 2014, 08:39 PM
Wow you are keen. How did you stop the resin just draining away? Or did you fill the cracks, cover with gaffa, then keep it spinning to ensure the resin stayed near the surface :rolleyes::U:U

Looking forward to progress.

Yep tape to keep the glue in and did a spin for a few minutes to boot, you must have been looking over my shoulder :).

Did a little more today, finished hollowing with the steady and some more glue to the voids as it was still flexible on one side. Seeing that its going to have spirals the wall thickness is fairly heavy.One thing about this burl as you hollow it out and blow out the chip etc after awhile half of the dust blows through the voids and cracks.Its time to pay careful attention to the wall thickness
Now to the collar, its being turned from Belyando Blackwood (Acacia argyrodendron) also known as Black Gidgee, Blackwood.
treename (http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/belyandoblackwood.htm) for a little more info courtesy of Vern and his web site
Its hard with a fair amount of silica, it made short work of my Henry Taylor 1/2" gouge edge. Glued in with black CA inverted to get all the glue to run into the joint area. I'm toying with the idea of using the same wood for the foot as contrast to the body.

artme
23rd January 2014, 08:44 PM
All power and praise to you Hughie!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I am neither brave nor skilful enough to tackle such a wondrous task!!!:no::no:

dai sensei
23rd January 2014, 09:12 PM
Ok now I am confused, the black CA I have is a rubberised CA, for when you want the glue to remain flexible (like gluing down velcro hook on your sanding disc sander). Is there some reason for using this, or is your glue different to mine?

Hermit
23rd January 2014, 10:24 PM
Pulling up a chair for this one. It's gonna look great if it stays together.
Good luck hughie.

hughie
24th January 2014, 05:09 AM
Ok now I am confused, the black CA I have is a rubberised CA, for when you want the glue to remain flexible (like gluing down velcro hook on your sanding disc sander). Is there some reason for using this, or is your glue different to mine?

Its a loctite product, not rubberized as far as I know, cant remember the number will get it later and post it up.

hughie
24th January 2014, 05:12 AM
Pulling up a chair for this one. It's gonna look great if it stays together.
Good luck hughie.

Cheeky Buga :U If! Sheesh! Some of you guys, damn pessimists.

Should be ok I have turned 70-8-kgs of this burl over the last year and this WIP is fairly basic I haven't gone into a lot of detail .

dai sensei
24th January 2014, 11:32 AM
Its a loctite product, not rubberized as far as I know, cant remember the number will get it later and post it up.

Nah, mine is not a locktite product. Might get some if it is not rubberised as black would come in handy from time to time

Hermit
24th January 2014, 01:47 PM
Cheeky Buga :U If! Sheesh! Some of you guys, damn pessimists.

Should be ok I have turned 70-8-kgs of this burl over the last year and this WIP is fairly basic I haven't gone into a lot of detail .

Ha. Didn't mean to cast aspersions on your ability hughie. I'm sure it will stay together.
I think I'm still coming to grips with just how well some timber does stay together on the lathe with an experienced turner.
Even with the resin, I suspect I'd manage to make it fly apart. :D

Looking forward to the finished product. :cool:

hughie
24th January 2014, 04:32 PM
Ha. Didn't mean to cast aspersions on your ability hughie. I'm sure it will stay together.
I think I'm still coming to grips with just how well some timber does stay together on the lathe with an experienced turner.
Even with the resin, I suspect I'd manage to make it fly apart. :D

Looking forward to the finished product. :cool:

No offense taken :2tsup:

hughie
26th January 2014, 08:45 PM

Loctite 480
Loctite ® 480 (http://www.loctite.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/SID-0AC83309-33E00742/henkel_aue/hs.xsl/3423_AUS_HTML.htm?iname=Loctite+%C2%AE+480%E2%84%A2+Prism+%C2%AE+Instant+Adhesive%2C+Black%2FToughened&countryCode=aue&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=10000009R3L)

Looks like it does have rubber in it

dr4g0nfly
27th January 2014, 06:56 AM
Its got some issues with cracks or perhaps voids might be a better word.

Hughie, the master of the understatement strikes again!

Looking forward to seeing the final product - I hope.

hughie
27th January 2014, 10:12 PM
Nearly, very nearly a major disaster. Well even after all my careful planning and gluing I almost came to grief. :shock: The base parted company with the block I glued on, luckily the speed was slow and it gently rolled out of the steady into my hands :) . So now it sits overnight to allow the new glue 480 Loctite CA to fully cure and hopefully it will hang onto the old glue. If I tried to remove the old glue it would be near impossible to get running true again, as it is it might a challenge anyway.

Still I have to get the collar turned up and this B. Blackwood is very tough stuff and it puts a fair bit of strain on the base.

Hermit
27th January 2014, 11:06 PM
Phew. That was close! :oo:
Here's hoping it runs fairly true when it dries. :fingerscrossed:

hughie
28th January 2014, 09:22 PM
The main body of turning is now done and I have laid out the spirals, tomorrow I will start the carving. So far its had more dramas than I expected, but that's the nature of the beast I guess.

I 'm happy with the shape it should show off the spirals very well and collar is going well with the over all design, still not decided on the foot as yet.

Nanigai
28th January 2014, 10:33 PM
Wow Hughie, that's nice work so far. :2tsup:
Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.
Cheers, Ian

cookie48
28th January 2014, 11:46 PM
Loctite 480
Loctite ® 480 (http://www.loctite.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/SID-0AC83309-33E00742/henkel_aue/hs.xsl/3423_AUS_HTML.htm?iname=Loctite+%C2%AE+480%E2%84%A2+Prism+%C2%AE+Instant+Adhesive%2C+Black%2FToughened&countryCode=aue&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=10000009R3L)

Looks like it does have rubber in it

But it does not show for use on Wood on the label.

hughie
29th January 2014, 06:43 AM
But it does not show for use on Wood on the label.

No it doesnt but it works just fine with great strength.
http://www.loctitehf.com/assets/tds/480-EN.pdf
http://hybris.cms.henkel.com/medias/sys_master/8816830545950.pdf
http://hybris.cms.henkel.com/medias/sys_master/8816828547102.pdf

Wood Nut
29th January 2014, 07:30 PM
:)Looking really good Hughie. Great to see you back home and in the shed. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Cheers,
Paul

hughie
30th January 2014, 05:13 PM
Here we go, this is something like it should be. I got a couple of hours in the shed this after noon, bit warm so I gave it away early

RETIRED
30th January 2014, 06:59 PM
Looks like an alien head.:D:2tsup:

artme
30th January 2014, 07:02 PM
Hughie - Ilike what you have managed so far!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
BUT: that looks decidedly unhealthy to me!:C

hughie
1st February 2014, 05:31 PM
Shaping finished and oiled with BLO and left to dry over night. I will probably only oil this one and then rub it by hands after a few days

Cliff Rogers
1st February 2014, 06:55 PM
:2tsup:

Hermit
1st February 2014, 08:18 PM
That was worth waiting for. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Very nice hughie, it looks great.

I've never tried BLO. Might be time I did.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd February 2014, 01:20 PM
:2tsup: Although in the last set of photos I can't help but try to visualise how it'd look if the spirals went t'other way around, to match the cracking. (It's probably just the pic... and that one void. :shrug: )

Any particular tool you're using to carve the spirals? Or is it just a case of "whatever convenient-to-hand tools do the job best?" :wink:

hughie
2nd February 2014, 04:38 PM
Skew, Vee chisel on the dremel to start with. Then files Bastard cut engineering files, they work well and I have a tungsten concrete grit file as well. The burl is quite soft so no real dramas in removal of timber. Its just a case of going around several times till its done. The oil is what makes the piece, as you can see with previous pics.

Mobyturns
3rd February 2014, 06:57 AM
Challenging blanks & projects are easily achieved & safely in experienced hands! :cool: Nice work Hughie. :2tsup: Requires too much patience for me.

Rod Gilbert
11th February 2014, 10:34 AM
Hi Hughie,
I have been watching with interest several of these spiral carved turning's of yours and I like them very much this last one is quite an achievement to keep it together well done. I have been wanting to try some carving or embellishment to the outside of some turning for a while so I had a go on a piece of crows ash that I had,it had some deep crack's in it but I hoped they will turn out and if not this is a trial run to see if I could so no matter. I see you have 15 spirals on this one do you have a standard set out you use or do you change this to suit the piece, I went with 12 spirals to try to get the process simply because the indexing on my lathe is multiple's of 12 so I used this to try to space the set out. Thank you for the inspiration to have a go.
Regards Rod.

hughie
11th February 2014, 04:37 PM
Rod I have my own indexing system that runs from 15 to 98 so it can varied for each one I do if I require.Generally it runs between 15 -36 above that it can get a bit cluttered, unless its large diameter

Rod Gilbert
11th February 2014, 10:02 PM
Hi Hughie,
I started roughing out outside shape then set out 12 spaces both ends and centre then ran line ahead 4 lines from top to bottom. Being my first attempt I carved the first few then sanded them to get the idea of the finish went on to finish carving the rest the lovely wife says she really likes the rest that are not sanded the rough texture of the carved spirals and I must admit that after she said this and I took the time to look and feel the shape I tend to agree with her. The finish you are using on this BLO Boiled linseed Oil is that right never tried it other than on out door furniture.
Regard's Rod.

hughie
13th February 2014, 05:57 PM
Hi Hughie,
I started roughing out outside shape then set out 12 spaces both ends and centre then ran line ahead 4 lines from top to bottom. Being my first attempt I carved the first few then sanded them to get the idea of the finish went on to finish carving the rest the lovely wife says she really likes the rest that are not sanded the rough texture of the carved spirals and I must admit that after she said this and I took the time to look and feel the shape I tend to agree with her. The finish you are using on this BLO Boiled linseed Oil is that right never tried it other than on out door furniture.
Regard's Rod.

Lookin real good Rod.:2tsup: I use BLO on some to darken them up, others WOP. It depends on the look you want to achieve and how it effects the over all look of the piece.

Rod Gilbert
13th February 2014, 06:32 PM
Cheers Hughie,
I give it a go and see what it does with the Crows Ash.I usually just use spray satin lacquer as it is what I usually have at hand then final rub with wax and wool.
Regards Rod.

hughie
13th February 2014, 08:46 PM
Cheers Hughie,
I give it a go and see what it does with the Crows Ash.I usually just use spray satin lacquer as it is what I usually have at hand then final rub with wax and wool.
Regards Rod.

If you want some shine but not a glassy plastic look try a couple of coats of satin WOP then Ubeaut Traditional wax and buff, come up a treat.

hughie
15th February 2014, 07:05 PM
Finally finished after several delays

Rod Gilbert
15th February 2014, 07:27 PM
Hi Hughie,
That finish looks great I will definitely have to give it a go a very impressive piece.
Regards Rod.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
15th February 2014, 08:39 PM
Hughie,

glad to see you did hold it together for another classic Hughie form.

Does the inset collar hold the form together or is it purely decorative?

hughie
15th February 2014, 08:45 PM
Hughie,

glad to see you did hold it together for another classic Hughie form.

Does the inset collar hold the form together or is it purely decorative?

In the end it was a bit of both :U

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th February 2014, 10:12 PM
In the end it was a bit of both :U

And modest to boot! :D