PDA

View Full Version : Newbie requires advice on things "chuckish"

HiString
8th June 2005, 01:42 AM
Well I've taken the plunge and will be picking up a s/hand Nova 3000 later this week............YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAA :D.

Considering my turning experience is limited to High School woodwork classes back in the '60s, I think I'm safe in classing myself as a newbie, so here comes the first of possibly many questions....................:

The lathe comes without a chuck, consequently, I am looking at buying a Supernova2 which comes with a choice of either 50mm or 75mm jaws as standard, SO..............1) which of these two jaw options would be the best to start out with. 2) Which other jaws would it be wise to purchase ........pin, long-nose, stepped, etc.?

I guess I'm open to any suggestions on what bits and pieces I should have to get started. It may be wise to consider that SHMBO will also be trying her hand at turning (apparently, this has been something she has wanted to do for years) and I get the impression that she wants to start out small whereas my projects are going to need faceplates to mount them ;) .

OK, enough rambling.............

Cheers.......... :cool:

La truciolara
8th June 2005, 06:05 AM
you are going to enjoy each second you will spend on your new toy.
Beware!!!!! It is quite addictive!

HiString
9th June 2005, 08:30 AM
Bumpity,......

rsser
9th June 2005, 08:43 AM
It's easier to make this choice when you're clear on what you want to turn.

If bowls mainly, then the 75mm jaws are a very nice piece of kit. If large bowls and platters mainly or large deep hollow forms, you'd be better off with the Titan and powergrip package.

See

http://www.fholder.com/Woodturning/lyn.html

for reviews of Nova chucks with some passing comments on jaws.

(BTW Suggest you do a search of the forum; this topic has been widely canvassed).

My criteria for choosing chucks and jaws include:

1. Will the jaws fit other size chucks from the manufacturer?

2. What is the effective range of travel - expansion and contraction - of a chuck and a given set of jaws?

3. Re chuck makes: what range of jaws are available and what do they cost?

4. What are the quality, local support and supply times like?

5. What's the ease of use like ... tommy bars v T bar, swivel ended T bar etc?

keith53
9th June 2005, 08:58 AM
It's easier to make this choice when you're clear on what you want to turn.
Or then again, you could just buy them all and cover all possibilities...:)

Cheers,
Keith

rsser
9th June 2005, 09:09 AM
hehe, we should start a thread on our least-used tool or gadget.

"If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have gone the way I did. But if I hadn't gone the way I did then I wouldn't know what I know now."

keith53
9th June 2005, 09:35 AM
hehe, we should start a thread on our least-used tool or gadget.

They're all important & necessary Ern. If my missus found out otherwise, I'd have some explaining to do...;)

HiString
9th June 2005, 10:02 AM
Ern,

Thanks for that link (looks like some interesting reading ahead) and for your comments.

I did try the "Search" function but kept getting distracted from what I was searching for by countless other interesting bits of info here :rolleyes:

Chris :cool:

hughie
20th July 2005, 01:07 PM
HiString,
Dunno if you have bought your chuck as yet but if you have not. I can give an address in Sydney of a supplier whos getting out of the the TeknatoOl range and selling every thing at cost plus GST.
ie I just bought a supernova chuck $125+GST PLUS AI pick several accessories for the chuck as well. Sigh...... I missed the sale if the lathes at the same deal.

Hughie

HiString
20th July 2005, 01:57 PM
Hughie,

Thanks for the thought. I have already sourced a chuck but the name and details of that business would be appreciated.

:cool:

hughie
20th July 2005, 02:31 PM
HiString,

Gasweld discount tool centre Penrith lot 4 or 99 Batt st 02-4721-5838
They have a wide variety of chuck accessories for Teknatool gear. Its first come first served. When I was there the other day they had about a dozen or so chucks left and every jaw accessory except the Cole Jaw set.
hughie

Mistman
20th July 2005, 05:20 PM
Hi HiString if you can wait till next at the Expo and tomorrow talk to Neil if come to the club if so see you ther

John

HiString
20th July 2005, 06:24 PM
Hughie,

Thanks for that.

John,

SWMBO and I anticipate coming over tomorrow, although I think it will have to be for the 1.00-4.00 session.

Cheers :cool: