View Full Version : Darn it

Allan at Wallan
25th January 2014, 11:10 AM
A local lady asked me to make her a
"Darning mushroom".

I had no idea but Mr Google did.

Made from a local piece of Wild Cherry
it measures 9.5cm high by 7cm diameter.

The stem is hollowed to accept darning needles.

Comments welcomed.

Allan

Big Shed
25th January 2014, 11:30 AM
Nice one Allan, probably showing my age but I well remember both my Mum and my GrandMother using those to darn our socks.

This is the shape I remember them using

Vintage wooden treen darning mushroom B SOLD (http://www.vanishederas.com/vintage-wooden--treen-darning-mushroom-b-sold-8972-p.asp)

Yes in those days socks weren't thrown in the bin because they had a hole in them!

In fact, not only did they darn our socks, they knitted them in the first place, as they did our jumpers.

Chesand
25th January 2014, 12:44 PM
Nice one Allan, probably showing my age but I well remember both my Mum and my GrandMother using those to darn our socks.

This is the shape I remember them using

Vintage wooden treen darning mushroom B SOLD (http://www.vanishederas.com/vintage-wooden--treen-darning-mushroom-b-sold-8972-p.asp)

Yes in those days socks weren't thrown in the bin because they had a hole in them!

In fact, not only did they darn our socks, they knitted them in the first place, as they did our jumpers.

I also remember those days before the throw-away world appeared.

pommyphil
25th January 2014, 01:13 PM
Yes, quick to make and they sell well. I hollow the back, more like a mushroom cap, to keep the weight down. Phil

chucky
25th January 2014, 06:23 PM
I,m back just for the week end then back to the van. I thought darning socks and jumpers disappeared when you and I were kids. She must have plenty of old woolen socks etc around. :o

Sawdust Maker
25th January 2014, 07:27 PM
Nice work

artme
25th January 2014, 07:41 PM
Nice one Allan!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I remember both mum and her mother using those. Mum also used to do invisible mending.

Allan at Wallan
25th January 2014, 08:16 PM
Many thanks for your comments.

Yes Chucky, she picked up the item today and told me her husband
wears steel capped boots and his socks always need darning.

... and, as one sock said to the other, "Well I'll be darned".

Sorry about that, just had to put that in.

Allan

powderpost
25th January 2014, 09:00 PM
We must have been really poor, mum used a light bulb. I suppose one of the new fluorescent "bulbs" could be a problem. :)
Jim

RETIRED
25th January 2014, 10:38 PM
We must have been really poor, mum used a light bulb. I suppose one of the new fluorescent "bulbs" could be a problem. :)
JimDepends on if have long feet.:D

Tim the Timber Turner
26th January 2014, 10:14 AM
Depends on if have long feet.:D

Or 2 pin toes!!!:?

Allan at Wallan
26th January 2014, 11:27 AM
For some reason I cannot remember my Mum ever using
one of these mushroom darners.

Ahhh, yes, now it comes back to me .... we were so poor
we didn't have socks.

:doh:

Allan

wheelinround
26th January 2014, 01:23 PM
Mum's daughters boys all had to know how to darn socks as they were handed down the line each would have to do their own repairs Mum was to busy to darn socks looking after food, veg garden, baby, dad........This was mother story not mine.

LOML is glad to say all 3 of our kids know how to use one. No I have never made her or them one. LOML does have her mothers one

GRW
26th January 2014, 10:44 PM
Well done Alan, the timber is a nice color,
Gordon

dr4g0nfly
27th January 2014, 06:58 AM
These are still available in UK habadashery shops but I've never seen one with a hollow handle for the needles.

I like it.

hughie
27th January 2014, 07:41 AM
Yep we had one or two lying and all the socks were repaired, to day...... biff!

arose62
27th January 2014, 07:47 AM
My grandma always had a couple of cowrie shells in her sewing box.

That's what she used when she showed me how to darn socks.

Cheers,
Andrew

Beedeejay
29th January 2014, 12:31 AM
Nicely turned item, beautiful piece of wood, what finish did u use?

but Darning socks :?:?:?:?

I was born in the 80's:cool:

Cheers Ben

Allan at Wallan
29th January 2014, 07:48 AM
Nicely turned item, beautiful piece of wood, what finish did u use?

but Darning socks :?:?:?:?

I was born in the 80's:cool:

Cheers Ben

Item was sanded to 400, then a bit of a rub with 0000 steel wool,
then a couple of coats of Ubeaut Shellawax.

Glad you like it.

Allan

chambezio
29th January 2014, 08:23 AM
My sister in law asked me if I could make some. I told her no problem but if she could give me some sizes it would be good, because then she would get exactly what she wanted. The measurements turned up and so I selected some dry New England Oak (Stringy Bark) but there was a catch....she wanted one for a friend who couldn't but any anywhere. I did the job. They were only about 60mm high and the mushroom head was about 35mm diameter. My motto "Do as you are told and you can't go wrong". The friend was so grateful she sent me a lovely letter hand written. I didn't charge for them either. It was a nice quick but satisfying little jobby.
I can't remember Mum doing any darning but I have some old blankets that were cannibalised to patch up others. Five kids including a set of twins, not much money - she made things go a long way. But that was the norm in the 50s and 60s. Dad never had a "high flying job" but we had 3 meals a day and we were taught to appreciate things and to respect others. My eldest sister can remember when grandma would visit. She would use an orange to substitute as a Darning Mushroom

rod1949
29th January 2014, 03:23 PM
.... darn our socks ....

What :o you had socks, your family must have been rich.

Mulgabill
30th January 2014, 08:45 PM
What :o you had socks, your family must have been rich.

And if he had socks, he probably had SHOES!!:o unbelievable wealth!!:no::no: