PDA

View Full Version : My first simple segmented turning

Hermit
25th January 2014, 04:40 PM
I've been lucky so far, so thought I'd raise the bar a bit and try a simple segmented project this time.
Nowhere near as nice as most of the segmented stuff I see here, but personally I'm just pleased (and surprised) that I pulled it off without ending up as I started - with a pile of loose segments. :D

It's made from some old, (read 'very dry and brittle'), Tas Oak, and finished with four coats of MinWax water-based satin WOP.

301866 301867 301868

The brittle timber caused me no end of dramas. It had very fine checking right through it, and small slivers kept breaking away from the surface. I tried to stabilise each splinter along the way with CA. The last of it is still visible through the poly on the bottom.)
Still, all's well that ends well.

I know poly isn't really a suitable finish, but I was reticent to leave the bottom unsealed, and this ashtray is only for me, smoking rollies. They go out by themselves, without 'stubbing'.

On the next one, I'm thinking of experimenting with poly on the outside, top and inside edges, but just rubbing silicon spray into the bottom to provide a bit of a seal. Silicon is the most heat-proof thing I can think of. The poly could never be repaired/refinished afterwards, though.

All comments welcome.

Disclaimer: I'm not encouraging or even condoning cigarette smoking, but while there are still us stupid smokers, ashtrays are needed.

Evanism
25th January 2014, 05:35 PM
Polyurethane, CA, ultra dry wood, fire....what could possibly go wrong.

I like the bowl, segmented turning looks like great fun.

Hermit
25th January 2014, 05:45 PM
Polyurethane, CA, ultra dry wood, fire....what could possibly go wrong.

I like the bowl, segmented turning looks like great fun.

Nothing would ever catch fire. :fingerscrossed:

Try getting a piece of hardwood to burn with a cigarette, especially a roll-your-own.
I've been using an ashtray of the same timber, but unfinished, for a year now. Not a mark on the timber, except cigarette ash.

In reality, since it's my first segmented turning, this ashtray will really most likely sit on the shelf and never be used. I like keeping the first of each type of thing that I make.

pommyphil
25th January 2014, 06:37 PM
Well done :2tsup:

fozz
25th January 2014, 07:23 PM
:wts::wtg::2tsup::2tsup:

Rod Gilbert
25th January 2014, 07:54 PM
Hi Hermit,
You have started on the slippery slope of segmented turning and you have started well indeed you're joint's are good and you're segment's are on centre by the look of it so from here on you just need to get some pattern's going and you will be away you're going to drive yourself crazy enjoy.
Regards Rod.

powderpost
25th January 2014, 09:17 PM
Hi Hermit,
You have started on the slippery slope of segmented turning and you have started well indeed you're joint's are good and you're segment's are on centre by the look of it so from here on you just need to get some pattern's going and you will be away you're going to drive yourself crazy enjoy.
Regards Rod.
Agreed...
Jim

_fly_
25th January 2014, 09:24 PM
Nice shape again there Steve,
but ashtrays are like that aren't they.

What about a small polished brass plate glued into the bottom to help with heat distribution of smokes.

You're meant to be able to true it up with wood tools, hot glue to a block and turn it nice and round.

Time to get on with the VW's caravan or the FJ. You're having to much fun with that lathe....

Peter

Hermit
25th January 2014, 10:31 PM
Thanks Phil, fozz and Jim. Your comments are much appreciated. :2tsup:

Hi Hermit,
Regards Rod.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Thanks Rod. I like a project that I can sink my teeth into and spend a bit of time on. Segmented turning certainly fits the bill as far as that's concerned.
I've already got my next planned, with a pattern around it. It was gonna be the first, but I thought I'd better slow down and make the ashtray first, for practice.

Nice shape again there Steve,
but ashtrays are like that aren't they.
What about a small polished brass plate glued into the bottom to help with heat distribution of smokes.
You're meant to be able to true it up with wood tools, hot glue to a block and turn it nice and round.
Time to get on with the VW's caravan or the FJ. You're having to much fun with that lathe....
Peter

Yeah, Pete, a pretty standard ashtray shape. I was picturing one of those cheap supermarket glass ones when I drew it up.

I considered a brass plate inset into the bottom, a good idea I reckon, but don't have any brass laying around and din't want to spend too much on this. Still watching the budget, saving for timber.
It's probably the best idea for future ones, though. Only drawback is that expansion of the brass might split the joints in the base, but the base could easily be one piece instead of segmented.

I will get back onto a scale model soon, the VW's caravan before the FC, but first I want to play with turning exclusively for a bit, until I feel that I have the hang of it. So far I've been woodturning for all of 7 weeks. Must make me an expert. :D

(My brother has a 1928 Essex Super-Six that he's restored and wants me to make a model of too. Busy, busy, busy.)

_fly_
25th January 2014, 10:38 PM
(My brother has a 1928 Essex Super-Six that he's restored and wants me to make a model of too. Busy, busy, busy.)

Don't forget to draw plans, let me test em and THEN sell em.

Hermit
25th January 2014, 10:54 PM
Don't forget to draw plans, let me test em and THEN sell em.

A preview. Should be fun to build, and lots of black for my ebonising.:

Next though, before anything else, is another lidded box similar to the first, but a little bigger and hopefully better, from a nice chunk of NSW Scented Rosewood that I got from the Woodsmith a couple of weeks ago.

Dalboy
26th January 2014, 05:36 AM
Good job on the segmented ashtray Steve that is more than I have done which is 2 segmented rings then turned.

It is not good for you turning and smoking they both can empty the pocket quickly. This is from someone who did both and managed to give one up you probably guess which as I am still turning:U:U:U:roll::roll:

Hermit
26th January 2014, 11:54 AM
Good job on the segmented ashtray Steve that is more than I have done which is 2 segmented rings then turned.

It is not good for you turning and smoking they both can empty the pocket quickly. This is from someone who did both and managed to give one up you probably guess which as I am still turning:U:U:U:roll::roll:

Thanks Derek. Mine's not much bigger - 3 rings, and the bottom one is only 4 segments. Good fun, though. I can't wait to make something a little bigger, with contrasting timbers. Eventually, I want to give missing segment turning a shot. I love the effects/patterns that can be created. I've just got to find some decent timber for it.

Yeah, smoking.... I hate it and promise myself regularly that I'll stop, but keep going regardless. :~ I'm down to one pack of tobacco a fortnight, but that's still $40 better spent elsewhere, to say nothing of the lung damage. I'll have to make a more concerted effort (soon).

I took WIP pics along the way as I made the ashtray, from drawing to finished item.
I wasn't planning on a WIP thread, but I've attached them in a pdf file, for comments/suggestions.
If anyone into segmented turning feels like taking a look, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what I'm doing wrongly, or what I can do better using another method. There's plenty of room for improvement, I think, before I tackle a bigger segmented project.

powderpost
26th January 2014, 11:49 PM
If anyone into segmented turning feels like taking a look, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what I'm doing wrongly, or what I can do better using another method.
Rather than do a lot of typing here, have a look at the couple of segmenting W.I.P.'s I did a little while back, that may help you. I put those up on the board to help any one wanting to have a go at segmenting.
Jim

Hermit
26th January 2014, 11:53 PM
Rather than do a lot of typing here, have a look at the couple of segmenting W.I.P.'s I did a little while back, that may help you. I put those up on the board to help any one wanting to have a go at segmenting.
Jim

Thanks Jim. I'll do that. Sounds like just what I need. :2tsup:

Edit: I just found this ( http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/making-segmented-vase-174358/ ) one and read through it. A well put together WIP. You have some good tips to incorporate into my method. I'll re-read it in the morning in case I missed anything and then look for any others.

Dalboy
27th January 2014, 06:29 AM

Steve when I said 2 segmented rings I meant 2 single rings as in the picture:B:B sorry I should have read what I had written

hughie
27th January 2014, 07:46 AM
It might be simple, but you've got good glue lines and that's a huge part of successful segmenting, its only up from here. :2tsup:

Hermit
27th January 2014, 10:49 AM
Steve when I said 2 segmented rings I meant 2 single rings as in the picture:B:B sorry I should have read what I had written

Ah, now I see. I was picturing a plate or saucer. Nice work, Derek. It looks great. :2tsup:
What do you call it? A decanter?
And what is the timber the bowl's made from? Plywood layers?

Hermit
27th January 2014, 10:59 AM
It might be simple, but you've got good glue lines and that's a huge part of successful segmenting, its only up from here. :2tsup:

Thanks hughie. That was my main concern - I wasn't sure if my cheap CMS would cut accurate segments consistently.

I'll make something a bit more substantial for my next segmenting attempt, a vase or similar. Should keep me out of trouble for a while.

Dalboy
27th January 2014, 11:16 AM
Ah, now I see. I was picturing a plate or saucer. Nice work, Derek. It looks great. :2tsup:
What do you call it? A decanter?
And what is the timber the bowl's made from? Plywood layers?

The ball is indeed ply and it is a box the ball is only 4" diameter. I called it a Gymball as in Gimble on a ships compass

Hermit
27th January 2014, 11:40 AM
The ball is indeed ply and it is a box the ball is only 4" diameter. I called it a Gymball as in Gimble on a ships compass

Very nice mate. I'm surprised at how well the plywood came up. I think I've found the solution to my wood shortage. Segmented plywood boxes. :D

Hermit
27th January 2014, 11:58 AM
I think I've found some products for finishing the inside of ashtrays, to make them fireproof.
Just need to find an Aussie supplier, if possible.

Fire Retardant Paint for Wood - Flame Proof Wood Paint - Rawlins Paints (http://www.rawlinspaints.com/categories/Fire-Retardant-Paints/Timber-%26-Wood/#sthash.dEaV778t.dpbs)

Christos
29th January 2014, 10:47 PM
Great job on your first segment turning. :2tsup:

Hermit
30th January 2014, 12:56 AM
Great job on your first segment turning. :2tsup:

Thanks for that mate. Here's hoping my luck holds for the next one.

bj383ss
30th January 2014, 11:44 PM
Looks good Steve. Look foward to seeing you on the scale model forum again it has been kinda slow in there. :U

Bret

Hermit
31st January 2014, 09:03 AM
Looks good Steve. Look foward to seeing you on the scale model forum again it has been kinda slow in there. :U

Bret

Thanks Bret. I told you that you'd created a monster by talking me into buying a lathe. :wink:
I'm still having waaay too much fun. I'll be getting back into the modelling soon, but not immediately until I get a bit more practice and the novelty wears off a bit. So much to learn.

It has been quiet in the Scale Modelling section. I think that Trevor, (Repliconics), has scared everyone away with his extraordinary Indian build. Here ( http://www.woodworkforums.com/f174/2-3-scale-indian-straight-four-178761/ ) for anyone else interested. I just realised it's actually in 'Toy Making', not 'Scale Modelling'. Definitely a scale model, though, and then some.