PDA

View Full Version : Winged Box My Personal Journey...........so far

Christos
29th January 2014, 11:43 AM
I wanted to see if I could make a winged bowl or box. From what I can see they are the same thing as the box has a lid. :)

So the concept was to make a winged bowl. I tried twice and both were not very good so I posted a question in the forum seeking help from the collective. For those interested in the replies please take a look at the posted link.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/my-second-winged-bowl-help-needed-181070/

The first attempt was a complete stuff up as the wings were more like sticks so over to the band saw to cut them off and to salvage what I could.

302287 302286

The second attempt was a little bit better as I did not have to cut off the wings to save the piece. It was at this stage that I sort the help of the forum.

302288 302289 302290

Now after the replies and more thinking(yes that's right THINKING) of the process I made a third attempt. You will notice in the photos that I made the most simplest of errors and put a hole in the bottom of the piece. My first reaction was to say bugger and then I just had to laugh about it. :laughing1:

302293 302294 302295

I went back to the wood pile and selected a forth piece of wood that I could practice on. I think it turned out but there are some concerns with the thickness of the bowl and the side of the top.

302302 302301 302300

Now this is the firth attempt of making something with wings. I was happy with the overall result and thought that I try to do a sort of wave as part of the wings. Did not turn out exactly as I hoped as some comments from friends said it looks like an alien ship. Now the question I asked how do you know?

302299 302298 302297 302296

All comments welcome.

Who else being on an alien ship?

Sawdust Maker
29th January 2014, 12:58 PM

Now after the replies and more thinking(yes that's right THINKING) of the process I made a third attempt.

OK who hacked Christos' account?

Seriously they look ok
maybe a bit thickish in the wings?

Who else being on an alien ship?

Looks a bit like the one which took me in 1977

elderly
29th January 2014, 02:18 PM
Looks pretty good. Top marks for persistence.
Cheers Frank.

RETIRED
29th January 2014, 03:08 PM
Looks a bit like the one which took me in 1977So that is where I have seen you.:wink:

NeilS
29th January 2014, 06:21 PM
Christos - you seem to have a grasp of the basic technique.

All winged pieces are just variations on that.

Now you need to consider your design.

Thinner profiles give a visual lift.

eg.

artme
29th January 2014, 06:52 PM
Doing well and still trying!!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Thickness is your enemy.

smiife
29th January 2014, 07:43 PM
Hi christos,
I think you are going in the right direction, not
that I am any expert (as I have already shown)
but for what it, s worth the "bowl part" needs to
look like it is seperate or more defined, and not
a continuation of the wings,
Oh and by the way you now have me hooked on
these bloody things,,,,,,,, spent a nice quite sunday afternoon
trying to make my second "winged demon bowl":C
very relaxing.............:no:
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

Christos
29th January 2014, 08:30 PM
trying to make my second "winged demon bowl":C
very relaxing.............:no:
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

Wow that's exactly how I feel. :tears:

I have heaps of wood just a little time short. :rolleyes:

Hermit
30th January 2014, 08:03 PM
I think you're doing well mate, and definitely getting to know the ins and outs of turning air, something I've yet to try.

Keep at it - you'll be producing some doozies soon. :2tsup:

(How are your knuckles, after a few sets of those wings whizzing around?)

Edit: I meant to add - I like the 'winged demon bowl' title too. :cool:

NeilS
30th January 2014, 09:41 PM
(How are your knuckles, after a few sets of those wings whizzing around?)

If one of those blades (they only become wings when you stop the lathe) hits a knuckle, or any other part of your anatomy, it will do some serious damage!

We all get rightly concerned about blanks coming apart and flying off the lathe, but they have less momentum (they are already starting to slow down) than two blades still firmly attached and under full power.

I think of my toolrest as the second blade of a guillotine when I'm turning winged pieces. If you keep all parts of yourself on your side of the toolrest you greatly increase your chances of keeping everything intact.

Oldgreybeard
31st January 2014, 09:19 AM
Hi Christos,
You are certainly going in the right direction. I agree with others, you could thin down the wings.
A problem that I have with this style is that to my mind, the wings and the bowl don't seem to blend together - not a criticism of your design, but my own and many images I have seen on the web.
Unfortunately my photgraphy commitments will keep me out of the shed for a couple of months, but here is the design I have been exploring on the computer (TurboCAD software). Basic dimensions are included (sorry about the 2 decimal place precision - it is the system default and when just experimenting with design I don't bother to change the defaut settings). There is no copyright, you are welcome to explore the design or include any aspects in your work. The red section is the winged bowl and I have tried to inorporate the lid to provide a smooth flow in the lines of the object as a single unit not a bowl and a lid. Obviously one would want to refine the inside of the lid to follow the external arc.
Keep experimenting - you are winning and I wish I had time to join you - I will but not until April at the earliest .
Bob.302474

Hermit
31st January 2014, 09:45 AM
A problem that I have with this style is that to my mind, the wings and the bowl don't seem to blend together - not a criticism of your design, but my own and many images I have seen on the web.

G'day Oldgreybeard. I think that it's equally valid to either blend the box into the wings or to make the box appear to be a separate piece, from what I've seen on the web. After watching Mike Peace's video here Turning a Winged Box by Mike Peace (01h24m20s) (http://www.woodworkforums.com/vbtube_show.php?tubeid=116&sti=Turning-a-Winged-Box-by-Mike-Peace-01h24m20s) , I lean towards the type where the box looks separate, I think.
There are many ways to skin a cat. (39, according to the robot in the original 'Lost in space'.)

A grab from Mike Peace's video:

Oldgreybeard
31st January 2014, 09:55 AM
G'day Oldgreybeard. I think that it's equally valid to either blend the box into the wings or to make the box appear to be a separate piece, from what I've seen on the web. After watching Mike Peace's video here Turning a Winged Box by Mike Peace (01h24m20s) (http://www.woodworkforums.com/vbtube_show.php?tubeid=116&sti=Turning-a-Winged-Box-by-Mike-Peace-01h24m20s) , I lean towards the type where the box looks separate, I think.
There are many ways to skin a cat. (39, according to the robot in the original 'Lost in space'.)
A grab from Mike Peace's video:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Design,as with beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. As I said I was not criticising, but offering my opinion. The design is only on paper at this point - when actually turned there is no guarantee that shape will be satisfying - that is the challenge of designing and moving the boundaries - for me anyhow.

Bob

Christos
31st January 2014, 08:36 PM
I am agreeing that I should go thinner for the wings. I was planning to be back in the shed this weekend but things have changed and it looks like I may not be doing any turning this week.

NeilS
1st February 2014, 11:18 AM
Thinner profiles give a visual lift.

At least for that style of winged form.

There are endless variations:

Mostly wing with minimal bowl.

Mostly bowl with minimal or recessive wings/legs.

Wings that appear to intersect the bowl form

Wings that merge with and create the bowl form

Substantial wing/leg feet to support light, elegant and flowing upper form.

Mono-wing/multi-winged

The key to the success of any of these variations is the designed relationship between the parts. To plan your design use whatever design tools you are familiar with; anything between CAD, as used by Oldgreybeard, and pencil on the back of an envelope will do.

The winged form is one of the more challenging designs that we can attempt. IMO, variations of it are among the most aesthetically satisfying pieces that come from us woodturners. Unfortunately, many that I see are a testament to the turner's woodturning techniques but an indictment to their aesthetic judgement; they can be so 'thugly'.

I need to make it clear that I'm not referring here to Christos' pieces, which he is generously sharing with us as part of his 'personal journey', but to the pieces that turn up in galleries and exhibitions from those who consider their work is ready for critical judgement.

If you are searching for some inspiration on aesthetics, here are a few examples of pieces that are working well in their own ways:

Brendan's pieces on his website, Brendan Stemp (http://www.brendanstemp.com.au/) go to > Portfolio > Containers

Stephen Hughes Stephen Hughes | Bungendore Wood Works Gallery (http://bungendorewoodworks.com.au/makers-artists/stephen-hughes)

Gary Ljostad

One - WR Woodturning Gallery (http://www.woodturnersresource.com/wrphotopost/showphoto.php?photo=1098&title=one&cat=500)
Winged Lattice Bowl - WR Woodturning Gallery (http://www.woodturnersresource.com/wrphotopost/showphoto.php?photo=6590&title=winged-lattice-bowl&cat=500)

Stuart Batty http://www.swflwoodturners.org/images/STUART%20BATTY%200205/Batty%20offset%20winged%20bowl.jpg

Peter Lowe http://members.iinet.net.au/~peterlow/wood_img/img0050.jpg

Ed Pretty http://members.iinet.net.au/~peterlow/wood_img/img0050.jpg

darrin1200
5th February 2014, 12:37 AM
That seems like a great first round to me. I havn't gotten up the nerve to try one of these yet, but you have me thinking about it again.

Darrin