PDA

View Full Version : The Brendan Lock

turnerted
29th January 2014, 04:39 PM
No it's not a lock on a cannal in Ireland but McKenzie Creek.
It's hard to find fault with my old 94 model Vl200 but I have a quible with the tailstock lock design.As can be seen in picture,when the locking lever is released and laying fully back,the knob is right on the edge of the bed.Sometimes when the tailstock is slid backwards,the knob will jamb and I will have jiggle the headstock forwards to free it.
In some of Brendan Stemp's videos you can see that he has fitted a large wooden handle to the locking lever of his Vicmarc so I decided to make a similar one.It was a simple matter of unscrewing the knob and boreing a 1/2" hole in a bit of wood,shaping a handle and slipping it on the shaft.
I now have a locking handle which is too big to jamb and the additional length makes locking the tailstock very easy and is one less thing that I have to hit with the heal of my hand.
Thank you Brendan.
Ted

issatree
29th January 2014, 05:06 PM
Hi Ted,
My Tough Lathe had a short handle on the far side of the T/S, then I hurt my hand by using it as a hammer.
The Tough's Handle is of Flat Cast Iron, so removed it, Bit of Steel 8" x 1" x ¼", 2x 3/8" bolts, looked great, but cold to touch.
Had some Heat Shrink, put 3 pieces over that, let it set.
Rounded the H/S with the Bandsaw, + some File & Sanding, FANTASTIC.
Also put H/S on the Handle of the Banjo, & that is EXCELLENT.

tea lady
29th January 2014, 06:39 PM
Will have to do the same on the Jet lathe I have. The handle on the tail stock is to short to had enough leverage to hold unless you bang it with a lump of red gum.

mick59wests
29th January 2014, 08:02 PM
Ted,

that makes my salt shaker from a previous post seems like it is G-rated.

cheers

Mick

:)

TTIT
29th January 2014, 10:41 PM
............The handle on the tail stock is to short to had enough leverage to hold unless you bang it with a lump of red gum.Something else you learnt from no doubt :roflmao:

brendan stemp
30th January 2014, 09:33 AM
We have the Escoulen CHuck and the Steb Centre. A jacobs chuck, Drozda signature tools and a whole lot more. I've waited years to have something named after me and what does it end up being: the Brendan Lock. I'm flattererd! Thanks Ted.

Christos
30th January 2014, 12:06 PM
........ I've waited years to have something named after me and what does it end up being: the Brendan Lock. I'm flattererd! Thanks Ted.

When did you change your name to Lock?:U

Sturdee
30th January 2014, 04:25 PM
We have the Escoulen CHuck and the Steb Centre. A jacobs chuck, Drozda signature tools and a whole lot more. I've waited years to have something named after me and what does it end up being: the Brendan Lock. I'm flattererd! Thanks Ted.

You can be double flattered Brendan as I did the same for the handle that clamps down the lathe motor on my MC1100.

However I called it the " Brendan Handle. " :2tsup:

It really works great, must do the same for the three tailstocks.

Peter.

Tim the Timber Turner
30th January 2014, 07:06 PM
When did you change your name to Lock?:U

How about " The Stemp Handle" The handle you can really get a grip on.

Could be a new product line for you Brendan.

Cheers Tim:)

brendan stemp
30th January 2014, 08:10 PM
How about " The Stemp Handle" The handle you can really get a grip on.

Could be a new product line for you Brendan.

Cheers Tim:)

...and of course we can't forget the Skilton Sander on our list. How could I have possibly overlooked that one. Just goes to show I ain't got a grip on much at all.

Beedeejay
4th February 2014, 05:41 PM
I did the same to my midi lathe after seeing 's woodfast handle when he was doing a turning day up at the Gold Coast Woodturners last year, makes it heaps easier then the little handle it came with