PDA

View Full Version : Fisherman's Priest

Dalboy
5th February 2014, 01:14 AM
Well have been having fun again and turned this fisherman's priest.

Made from odd scraps of wood I had laying about like Beech,Chestnut and Sapele the length is about 10". I have owned a Robert Sorby Texturing and spiraling tool since about 2010 and never seemed to get a half decent spiral from it, well I did get one when I decided to have a go again. The two red rings are beech which I stained.

PLD
5th February 2014, 02:46 AM
That's a beauty, but I'm not sure what a "Fisherman's Priest" is. Is it like a bonker?

Dalboy
5th February 2014, 03:58 AM
A fisherman's priest is for dispatching a fish which you are going to keep (hopefully for eating)

PLD
5th February 2014, 04:52 AM
Thanks, we Americans are not so formal in our speech, we call them bonkers, as in bonk that fish on the head!:D

Hermit
5th February 2014, 10:32 AM
A fisherman's priest is for dispatching a fish which you are going to keep (hopefully for eating)

Thanks for the explanation Derek. You had me wondering. I thought it might screw apart, for storing ??? like a sewing wand.

It looks good, and that texturing really did work well. :2tsup:
Going fishing?

_fly_
5th February 2014, 02:23 PM
I can tell you, you will not need it in Lakes Entrance, just came back from 5 days fishing and not even a bite.

Maybe because I went out in middle of day for 6 hrs and not morning or evening.

But looks like it could do the job if you do get some fish.

turnerted
5th February 2014, 04:40 PM
Looks almost too good for wacking fish.Well done.
Ted

crowie
5th February 2014, 05:22 PM
Nice bit of turning Derek….
I never heard of the term “Fishman’s Priest’’ before.
It’d be a crying shame to use such a beautiful piece of woodwork on a fish….
Never had need to knock the fish with anything, just catch them & into the bag or bucket, the scaling & gutting ready for the pan, now I'm hunger...
Cheers, crowie

A Duke
5th February 2014, 05:50 PM
It's for administering the fishes last rites.

Colin62
5th February 2014, 06:01 PM

My understanding is that it's called a priest because it administers the last rites.

Did you add some weight to it or is it just wood? My son-in-law is a keen fly-fisherman, and I am considering making him a priest as a gift at some stage, and was told I'd need to put a little lead in the business end to weight it properly. He is also a priest, so I thought it would be fun to make a priest for the priest. I have a little piece of African Blackwood I have set aside for the job, and my feeling is that it should be heavy enough.

powderpost
5th February 2014, 10:09 PM
Thanks, we Americans are not so formal in our speech, we call them bonkers, as in bonk that fish on the head!:D
Oh dear... In Australia, bonking used to happen in the back seat of a car :B. I can only imagine what would happen if you were caught bonking with a fish>..... :oo:
Jim

Phil Hansen
6th February 2014, 12:46 AM
Did you add some weight to it or is it just wood? My son-in-law is a keen fly-fisherman, and I am considering making him a priest as a gift at some stage, and was told I'd need to put a little lead in the business end to weight it properly. He is also a priest, so I thought it would be fun to make a priest for the priest. I have a little piece of African Blackwood I have set aside for the job, and my feeling is that it should be heavy enough.

Colin,
I have made quite a lot. Used white gum. Heavy enough not to need any extra weight.
Phil

Dalboy
6th February 2014, 02:17 AM
Thank you all glad you liked it.

You can use it as is as it is made from hardwoods, but some may like it a little heavier in which case some metal could be inserted into a hole in the head and then plugged.

I have another one made from 1 piece of Oak as below

I don't normally do spindle work so along with using the spiralling tool it gave me a little practice in spindle turning

PLD
6th February 2014, 03:14 AM
Oh dear... In Australia, bonking used to happen in the back seat of a car :B. I can only imagine what would happen if you were caught bonking with a fish>..... :oo:
Jim

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Well even in America, bonk can have many meaning...

Tim the Timber Turner
6th February 2014, 09:50 AM
I can only imagine what would happen if you were caught bonking with a fish>..... :oo:
Jim

Or using a fisherman's priest to bonk with:oo:

Cheers

Tim:)

A Duke
6th February 2014, 09:57 AM
Or using a fisherman's priest to bonk with:oo:

Cheers

Tim:)That would be a dilly thing to do.

Oldgreybeard
6th February 2014, 03:04 PM
I was thinking of taking up fishiing, but bonkin' with a priest :o
might not be legal:no:
better stck to woodturning:U

Allan at Wallan
6th February 2014, 07:23 PM
My understanding is that it's called a priest because it administers the last rites.

It may be fun to make a priest for a priest but you would be
a bit miserable to make none for a nun.

Allan

Dalboy
6th February 2014, 08:53 PM
It may be fun to make a priest for a priest but you would be
a bit miserable to make none for a nun.

Allan

That is why nuns go around in pairs so that "one nun makes sure the other nun gets none" so a priest will not be any good.

Sorry could not resist:B:B:B.

Anyway thank you all for comments and that every one has had a bit of fun reading this.

Sturdee
8th April 2014, 11:42 PM
I noticed a photo of this is in the Woodturning magazine, well done. Getting to be a habit being featured. :2tsup:

Peter.

fozz
9th April 2014, 01:04 AM
puts a whole new meaning to the phrase, "stunned mullet":oo:

oldsaundy
9th April 2014, 02:10 PM
hi, I use to make these in three sizes.Priest,about ten inches long mainly fly fishermen, Bishop, about fifteen inches, for reef fishers, Pope about twenty four inches, for mackeral etc. made quite a few when I was in fishing clubs.

Dalboy
10th April 2014, 05:59 AM
I noticed a photo of this is in the Woodturning magazine, well done. Getting to be a habit being featured. :2tsup:

Peter.

I.ll just have to stop turning things then, so what will I do with the fifteen rough turned blanks that I have just done and still more to do:U:U:U

Sturdee
10th April 2014, 10:45 AM
so what will I do with the fifteen rough turned blanks that I have just done and still more to do:U:U:U

You may wish to send them to me and I'll figure out a way for them to be used. :U :U :U

Peter.

Dalboy
11th April 2014, 08:12 AM
You may wish to send them to me and I'll figure out a way for them to be used. :U :U :U

Peter.

You will have to put up with a photo instead Peter:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

The largest one is only 13" diameter

There are a couple more not in the photo also another large blank.

once they are done I need to start on this little pile

coffenup
11th April 2014, 11:18 AM

don't worry mate I am an aussie and I was going to ask the same question
Regards Michael