PDA

View Full Version : Shooting and Wood turning

Willy Nelson
10th February 2014, 11:44 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen
Just returned from another fabulous weekend away shooting, hunting, 4 WD, motorbikes and my 17 year old son and a couple of mates.

Whilst everyone else was sleeping, I headed out for a Burl Hunt on my trusty steed. I have just been access to 5 properties in WA totalling nearing 20,000 acres. I haven't discussed harvesting of burls with the farmer yet, but found these enticing specimans.

The tree, well truth be known, it is more burl than tree, possibly Wandoo.

The second burl is approximately 1 meter across, not sure what the tree is until I get permission and cut him with chopper

Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

artme
11th February 2014, 10:09 AM
Lucky Willy!!!:):):)

What is wandoo timber like?

corbs
11th February 2014, 06:41 PM
I was going to 'Like' your post but it appears we've lost the ability to do that :rolleyes::rolleyes:... so here it is...

Like :2tsup:

dai sensei
11th February 2014, 06:56 PM
Ok you have my attention :tongueroll:

Have you got another trip planned as I pass by :fingerscrossed:

smiife
11th February 2014, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=corbs;17464was going to 'Like' your post but it appears we've lost the ability to do that :rolleyes::rolleyes:... so here it is...

Like :2tsup:[/QUOTE]

I was going to do the same, thanks corbs
Cheers smiife :2tsup:

corbs
11th February 2014, 07:34 PM
Saw in another post that the like button is coming back but it was missed in a recent upgrade pack or something like that :rolleyes:

Willy Nelson
12th February 2014, 01:16 AM
Lucky Willy!!!:):):)

What is wandoo timber like?

If the moderators excuse this 'Bloody Hard, but can be beautiful'
Willy

Willy Nelson
12th February 2014, 01:17 AM
I was going to 'Like' your post but it appears we've lost the ability to do that :rolleyes::rolleyes:... so here it is...

Like :2tsup:

Oh yeah, just noticed

Willy Nelson
12th February 2014, 01:19 AM
Ok you have my attention :tongueroll:

Have you got another trip planned as I pass by :fingerscrossed:

Perhaps you should drop in.................................

ian thorn
12th February 2014, 05:24 PM
A lot of pen blank swaps there Willy good find but you may need more than the trusty steed to take them away.

Ian

BobL
12th February 2014, 07:57 PM
Sounds like a fun time Willy. Let me know if you need a hand chainsaw wise etc.

Our loft/attic floor is wandoo.
I bought it as a salvaged floor pack for $200 - it looked like it came out of a classroom
As Willy says hard as %&$^%*& - every nail hole had to be drilled.

artme
12th February 2014, 08:06 PM
Very nice Bob!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

At $200 for that lot you should have no skin left on your fingers!:q

BobL
12th February 2014, 08:27 PM
Very nice Bob!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

At $200 for that lot you should have no skin left on your fingers!:q

Well it was no "beer and skittles" job.
The pack needed to be denailed which was a mongrel of a job and I ended up splitting way too may board in the process.
Later I found out about the cheats way, big punch and knock em through instead of straightening the nail and knocking them back the other way. The split the hole our way more than knocking them through.
Then there was the drill and nail part, and then I hauled a floor sander up the manhole and that was a fun job since the day I decided to do it the max temp reached over 38ºC and it was quite a bit hotter in the roof.
There are still sweat drops visible under the polyurethane finish.

Willy Nelson
14th February 2014, 07:45 PM
Well it was no "beer and skittles" job.
The pack needed to be denailed which was a mongrel of a job and I ended up splitting way too may board in the process.
Later I found out about the cheats way, big punch and knock em through instead of straightening the nail and knocking them back the other way. The split the hole our way more than knocking them through.
Then there was the drill and nail part, and then I hauled a floor sander up the manhole and that was a fun job since the day I decided to do it the max temp reached over 38ºC and it was quite a bit hotter in the roof.
There are still sweat drops visible under the polyurethane finish.

No No No noooooooooooo
This is my thread, about guns and Burls,:o

It's been hijacked!!!!!!!!!!

Colin62
14th February 2014, 09:45 PM
Well, personally, I'd like to talk about buns and gurls instead :D

Oldgreybeard
15th February 2014, 09:31 AM
Hi Willy,
That burl on the ground looks interesting. From the photo it looks as if it could be almost a metre in diameter- any thoughts on how you might use it?

Any luck with getting permission to harvest them? Looking forward to some WIP pics when you get that burl on the lathe- I guess it will be pretty dry and hard by now.

Bob

PS. Funny people those South Africans who would rather discuss 'buns and gurls' rather than wood:p , but I guess they don't want to discuss cricket either:D:D

Willy Nelson
15th February 2014, 12:54 PM
Hi Willy,
That burl on the ground looks interesting. From the photo it looks as if it could be almost a metre in diameter- any thoughts on how you might use it?

Any luck with getting permission to harvest them? Looking forward to some WIP pics when you get that burl on the lathe- I guess it will be pretty dry and hard by now.

Bob

PS. Funny people those South Africans who would rather discuss 'buns and gurls' rather than wood:p , but I guess they don't want to discuss cricket either:D:D

Oldgreybeard, Gold regarding the cricket.

The burl would easily be about a meter. I will go up to that property again soon and will take the big saw if the farmer lets me. I don't expect a knockback as I have known him for years and have hunted burls on a property he leases. Will ask next time we are up that way, and will turn a platter for him.
I usually slice the burl into slabs for turning, and the 1/2 back for carving
Willy

Colin62
15th February 2014, 07:51 PM
Anything but the cricket! :no:

Actually I'm jealous of the burls you guys get over there. I think the rest of the world is to be honest.