PDA

View Full Version : Second hand Tough Lathe

andrew7
13th February 2014, 10:35 AM
Have been looking around for a decent lathe and found this one locally.. any opinions...... please ? :)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rankin-park/other-tools-diy/wood-lathe-tough/1038745916

Many Thanks

Andrew

Avery
13th February 2014, 11:11 AM
looks a bit expensive to me, but Tough lathes were well built, solid and reliable

brendan stemp
13th February 2014, 11:47 AM
These are the types of lathes I think are (almost) always worth buying especially if its your first lathe. Problem with this one is that there are no cam locks on Tail stock or banjo. Other than this I reckon its well worth considering. Price is OK. Stand looks solid. Make sure bearings are good, tail stock lines up perfectly with head stock and motor is at least 1 h.p. and offer them $500.

andrew7
13th February 2014, 01:12 PM
Gave him a call and he firm on the price, he couldn't understand why you would need cam locks?
Also he is not including the chucks... extra 50 or 100 for them each.

HOOKED.UP
13th February 2014, 02:47 PM
$500.00 for the lot in my opinion. However I don't do much turning any more, so don't know current values. PAUL. :B

pommyphil
13th February 2014, 03:09 PM
A solid old lathe for too much money, lacks versatility and messing about with a spanner every time you move the banjo and tailstock will drive you crazy.

andrew7
13th February 2014, 03:39 PM
yeah thinkin its a bit much really.
Have found that the old stuff like my tablesaw although big and tough can be a pain in the butt.
They also just don't have the adjustments that the newer stuff have... well mine doesn't anyway

tea lady
13th February 2014, 04:21 PM
I like the spanners holding the banjos and tail stock of my tough lathe. My little Jet cam locks are always letting go. Then when its undone you have to jiggle to move it. Spanners way easier I reckon. AND you have more leverage with the spanner to tighten things.

Further thoughts are that with the gap in the ways near the head stock you can turn quite large bowls and things.

Exactly what adjustments do you want?

andrew7
13th February 2014, 04:49 PM
Dunno about lathes but for example my table saw doesn't seem to have any adjustment to align the blade and fence....... also has stripped threads..... grrrrr almost had enough of it.

code4pay
13th February 2014, 08:46 PM
Id sell you my tough Lathe for 400 but I'm in NSW.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Mobyturns
13th February 2014, 10:01 PM
Take into account this is an old lathe. It appears to have an old electrical switch on a timber enclosure? So I would definitely factor in at minimum a test & tag or better still have an electrician give it the once over for piece of mind. In any case I would certainly be looking to replace the existing switch and fit a new safety switch. You may be up for more than you bargained for if the wiring is dodgy - could cost you your life.

In QLD "Sellers of second hand in-scope electrical equipment are not required to have the electrical equipment tested before selling it, but they must inform the buyer if it has not been tested." http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/fair-and-safe-work/electrical-safety/manufacturers-importers-and-retailers/sale-of-second-hand-equipment

Check out http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Businesses/Product_safety/Electrical_articles.page? it may have details and conditions for selling "electrically safe" secondhand powertools.

Treecycle
13th February 2014, 10:37 PM
Id sell you my tough Lathe for 400 but I'm in NSW.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
So is Andrew, and the other lathe.

andrew7
14th February 2014, 07:55 AM
So is Andrew, and the other lathe.
yep sorted that but still way too far apart

Jim Carroll
14th February 2014, 08:29 AM
yep sorted that but still way too far apart

You are never too far apart when you want some new toys for the shed

chuck1
14th February 2014, 09:04 AM
I would be weighing up the cost of buying a new with same swing and Centre distance! and pricing any any accessories that come with it, all the lathes I have bought have been second hand.
the spanner type lathes are not that bad I changed all the nuts to the same size, I do alot of balusters so once the toolrest/tailstock is set up its there of the day.
looking at the photo I would update the on/ off switch

tea lady
14th February 2014, 09:54 AM
And a lather with that length bed is good for furniture spindles. Depends what you want to make. :shrug:

Big A
14th February 2014, 10:38 AM
"Problem with this one is that there are no cam locks on Tail stock or banjo."
"Gave him a call and he firm on the price, he couldn't understand why you would need cam locks?"

Begging your pardon, but what are the levers for on the banjo and tailstock? (Photo 2.) I can't see a nut on either of them.

"A".

tea lady
14th February 2014, 10:45 AM
"Gave him a call and he firm on the price, he couldn't understand why you would need cam locks?"

Begging your pardon, but what are the levers for on the banjo and tailstock? (Photo 2.) I can't see a nut on either of them.

"A".I think its a spanner sitting on the nut. We have a couple like that at Knox woodworkers. Quite a number of people prefer using them. They certainly don't sit idle.

Jim Carroll
14th February 2014, 12:11 PM

"A".

Camlock on the Banjo and spanner on the tailstock. All work fine

Big A
14th February 2014, 01:56 PM
Aah so! One of one thing and one of the other. I am half correct, so I must be half smart. Seems about right.

"A".

Rod Gilbert
18th February 2014, 02:00 PM
I like the spanners holding the banjos and tail stock of my tough lathe. My little Jet cam locks are always letting go. Then when its undone you have to jiggle to move it. Spanners way easier I reckon. AND you have more leverage with the spanner to tighten things.

Further thoughts are that with the gap in the ways near the head stock you can turn quite large bowls and things.

Exactly what adjustments do you want?

I agree my Tough as most I imagine have nuts and a spanner they lock positive and release in a 1/4 turn the heavy cast spanner sits on the nut on the banjo or tailstock and does not move and again what adjustments do you want. Many of the lathes that have cam locks have to be wiggled back and forth to get movement and in my opinion don't offer a great advantage over a good nut spanner system. Far more important is the fit on the way and the tough has that in spades big wide bed and well fitted tail stock to the way. As with any method if it works as it should there won't be any serious issues with either.
Regards Rod.

andrew7
18th February 2014, 02:18 PM
There is a couple of these types of lathes around at the moment as well.... my first instinct is to stay away....304495304496

fozz
18th February 2014, 07:51 PM
Gday Andrew,

For what its worth this is my take on the lathe in your last post and the old Tough lathe. Yes they are not the newest latest singingist all dancing lathe on the market but if they are set up level and run true then the worst you may find is that you need to replace some bearings or a pulley. No cam locks?, my last two lathes had a good old fashioned nut to hold the banjo, undo the nut and the banjo moves unlike my mini lathe that i'm forever fighting with its banjo and cam lock.

Not sure if you've seen this thread, http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=177954 , but thats my latest lathe and I chose to keep that over a carbatec mc1100 with mechanical variable speed and cam locks to boot.

Anyway, good luck on your choice,

Ross.

andrew7
18th February 2014, 08:04 PM
Yep happy to get an older lathe, the Tough is too much for me though at the moment, would be $700+ all up.
The one I just posted though is only $300 but no idea if its any good as it is unbranded or home made-ish?
Yours looks good though, I'll have a bit of a read later : )

fozz
18th February 2014, 08:08 PM
Well, that chuck alone is worth a couple of hundred dollars plus to buy brand new. Looking at it I'd say it may be home made but as I said before if it runs true its more than worth a look :)

fozz
18th February 2014, 08:22 PM
After getting my mini lathe and then realising it wouldnt do everything I was after I went back and read every thread in this wood turning forum and from that and talking to club members and a very good friend I determined that a good big lathe is heavy, flex free, rigid, has a good motor size, good length of bed and able to turn reasonable diameter timber.

Both the tough and that $300.oo lathe pretty much meets those criteria and while not new with all the latest do dads should serve you well.

Paul39
19th February 2014, 03:05 AM
There is a couple of these types of lathes around at the moment as well.... my first instinct is to stay away....304495304496

My first instinct is to run over there, cash in hand.

Assuming everything works smoothly and spindle and tail center line up pretty well, that is a bargain. It is not cast iron but there seems to be enough meat in the bed that it will not flex. If you want / need that size lathe it merits a close look. If you have not used a lathe much, take an experienced turner with you to make a judgement.

Look at what you can buy new for $300 and compare.

I happily paid $850 for an 18 year old 20 inch swing short bed Woodfast that took quite a bit of persuasion with torch, oil, and brass hammer to get working.

andrew7
19th February 2014, 09:08 PM
Cool thanks for the advise, will see how i go : )

issatree
19th February 2014, 11:13 PM
Hi Ross,
I also had trouble with the Banjo movement, & it was suggested to me to find a reasonably flat spring, about 3 or 4 rings?, & put it up under the nut. Mine wood be ¾ - & 7/8" in width across the bottom of the Spring.
Gee, what a difference. Never catches now. Got one under the Tail Stock as well.
A very older Turner told me about that, so, it is worth passing on.