PDA

View Full Version : Small hollow form

Dalboy
18th February 2014, 11:36 AM
Ok it started out as a box but lid had a accident.

To give an idea of size the coin is a 50p piece (Just for Sturdee:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:)

elderly
18th February 2014, 01:33 PM
Nice one Derek.What's the timber? Did you use your new hollowing tool?
Cheers Frank.

Sturdee
18th February 2014, 04:22 PM
I like the lidless box. Pity about the lid.

I also would like to know what hollowing tool you used and how long it took to hollow the box with your tool.

Peter.

PS I adore the measuring coin.:U

chuck1
18th February 2014, 05:29 PM
looks good, don't drop your. 50 in there! what's the Timber? maybe you could retrofit a new lid?

camgarratt
18th February 2014, 05:42 PM
Thats really beautiful mate. Excelent work.

artme
18th February 2014, 09:10 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Now, for the ignorant among us: How big is a 50p piece????:D

Sturdee
18th February 2014, 10:05 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Now, for the ignorant among us: How big is a 50p piece????:D

Google is your friend and Wikipedia informs us that the diameter of 50 p coin's minted between 1969-1994 is 30.0 mm and from 1997 to the present is 27.3 mm.

So the real question is what year was the coin minted ? :U

Peter.

Dalboy
18th February 2014, 10:57 PM
Thank you all, as for the wood it is an unknown I turned this piece so that I could ask on an English forum as I was given a few logs of different trees some of which I know. This is the log it came from

The hole in the top will just take the 50p

I did think of making another lid for it

Google is your friend and Wikipedia informs us that the diameter of 50 p coin's minted between 1969-1994 is 30.0 mm and from 1997 to the present is 27.3 mm.

So the real question is what year was the coin minted ? :U

Peter.

Nice one Derek.What's the timber? Did you use your new hollowing tool?
Cheers Frank.

Yes this is probabily the smallest you would want to hollow with it

I like the lidless box. Pity about the lid.

I also would like to know what hollowing tool you used and how long it took to hollow the box with your tool.

Peter.

PS I adore the measuring coin.:U

It is the crown one Peter http://www.marksanger.co.uk/revolutionholowingtool.html

Have tried it a couple of times as I have other things to make since I got it, I was hoping to use it more everytime I think that I can get and do some turning or toy making something seems to crop up:C.

Glad you liked the coin:U:U

elderly
19th February 2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the info Derek. Do you know how small a hole you can work through with the mini revolution?
Cheers Frank.

Dalboy
19th February 2014, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info Derek. Do you know how small a hole you can work through with the mini revolution?
Cheers Frank.

Not sure about the mini Hollower but if you check out the link I gave (see my last post before this one) for the one I have and scroll down there is a little information there but looking at it I would say that it is not much smaller than I have made with the hollow form in this post.
The revolution that I have when the cutter and links are set in a dead straight line they will go through a 20mm hole but if you are to undercut then a bit bigger hole is required.
Hope that all makes sense.

wheelinround
19th February 2014, 01:11 PM
Hi Derek thats certainly competition for Peter's pots :; lid or no lid and there is NO reason you can't make one still :; even if different timber. No excuses:q

Here I had thought that your timber would be floating down stream by now. If your high and dry then you should be busy with chainsaw in hand out gathering timber which has blow down fallen over washed down river.

Ray

Dalboy
19th February 2014, 11:08 PM
Hi Derek thats certainly competition for Peter's pots :; lid or no lid and there is NO reason you can't make one still :; even if different timber. No excuses:q

Here I had thought that your timber would be floating down stream by now. If your high and dry then you should be busy with chainsaw in hand out gathering timber which has blow down fallen over washed down river.

Ray

You are right I could of have made a lid:B but I did have to make something for someone else maybe next time I will complete one with a lid:U:q.

Luckily I live on a hill so no flooding but still get the high winds, not that many trees down that I have heard of may have to contact the local council. But I did get some logs yesterday http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=182125 they are still very wet, wet suit is needed before I rough turn them:U:U