PDA

View Full Version : self feeding scrapers?

PAH1
10th June 2005, 03:57 PM
I had an experience last night for which I can not come up with a reasonable explanation. While using a LH bowl scraper to clean up the bottom of a fiddleback redgum bowl it got blunt, rather than sharpen it I swapped to my round nose scraper instead as the amount I needed to do was small. The sharp roundnose scraper self feeded and gave a poor finish, repeating it with the now sharp bowl scraper did not. The scrapers are the same width, sharpened on the same stone, 1mm difference in thickness (thinner being the bowl one), speed was about 1000rpm and the radius is similar, just the portion rounded differs between the two. Anybody else had this experience?

rsser
10th June 2005, 04:25 PM
Hmm, nice little puzzle.

Tool contact point the same height both times?

Only guess is that the quality of the steel was different and you had a bigger burr on the round nose scraper.

Len Smith of the Woodsmith once told me to take the burr off scrapers when using either really hard or really soft woods.

PAH1
10th June 2005, 04:40 PM
Hmm, nice little puzzle.

Tool contact point the same height both times?

Only guess is that the quality of the steel was different and you had a bigger burr on the round nose scraper.

Len Smith of the Woodsmith once told me to take the burr off scrapers when using either really hard or really soft woods.

The bowl scraper feels the harder steel and the burr is smaller than the round nose scraper, I have used a lot harder woods and not had this problem. I will give removing the burr a go if I have the same problem tonight. I have one blank left from 11 and have only had that experience in one.

rsser
10th June 2005, 05:48 PM
Yeah, well the other thing is 'fiddleback' ie. unevenly grained timber. So it might be the wood rather than the tool.