PDA

View Full Version : A couple of pieces

elderly
18th February 2014, 02:29 PM
A couple of my recent pieces. The first is a red gum lidded container with finial. It is about 140mm high 80mm dia. The finial is blackwood.
The second one is brown mallee burl approx. 170mm dia 55mm deep. Both pieces finshed with Rustins DO.

smiife
18th February 2014, 07:44 PM
Hi elderly,
I like both pieces, not too sure about the finial
but then i ain, t no expert on them either
the brown mallee is very nice , well done
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

Mobyturns
18th February 2014, 08:35 PM
Hi elderly,
I like both pieces, not too sure about the finial
but then i ain, t no expert on them either
the brown mallee is very nice , well done
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

Finial looks good design wise, maybe a little large for the container but thats a personal preference thing. I like the larger finials that make a bold statement.

Simplicity
18th February 2014, 08:46 PM
Elderly
The lidded vessel
Is fantastic
Reminds a little of the Middle East
I personally love finals
I know others don't and that's fair
It looks fantastic

artme
18th February 2014, 09:07 PM
:o The wood is good and the turning better!! Beautiful!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

elderly
18th February 2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks for your kind comments. Nothing seems to divide opinion like finials.
Cheers Frank.

Dalboy
19th February 2014, 05:10 AM
Both are well turned. As some have said I think the finial is a bit on the large size (but that is only my personal opinion). The bowl however is in a league of its own beautiful piece of wood you have done it justice.

elderly
19th February 2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks Derek your comments are appreciated.
Cheers Frank.

powderpost
19th February 2014, 11:35 AM
Both are very nice. I quite like the finial, I think it suits that lidded bowl. Can I suggest you dull of the finish on the mallee bowl? It is a lovely piece of timber and well made, but the gloss does hide the timber a little.
Excellent.. :2tsup:

Jim

elderly
19th February 2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks Jim.

Christos
20th February 2014, 06:57 PM
I really like the bowl. The two colours are something that I keep an eye out for wood.

Beedeejay
21st February 2014, 10:20 PM
A couple of my recent pieces. The first is a red gum lidded container with finial. It is about 140mm high 80mm dia. The finial is blackwood.
The second one is brown mallee burl approx. 170mm dia 55mm deep. Both pieces finshed with Rustins DO.

I love over the timber in these pieces,
personally I don't like finials at all, but you have done a great job on the turning aspect of it, I guess if I was to put something on the lid I would have done a small handle/ knob shape (ie maybe stopped before the big bulb on yours)

And then you have the Mallee, very, very nice piece of timber and you have done a great job with it, I agree with earlier post about the gloss finish, I think a satin finish would look unreal, I have been using Kunos oil on the Burl bowls I have been doing and it comes up really nice, do you have a picture of what the Burl looked like before you turned the bowl? Would be nice to see a before and after,

keep up the great work:2tsup:

Cheers Ben

elderly
21st February 2014, 10:42 PM
Thanks for your comments Ben they are appreciated. As I said in an earlier post nothing seems to divide opinion like finials. Sorry I don't have a pic of the burl before I started.
Cheers Frank.