PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast Lathe

rickb
10th June 2005, 09:14 PM
As a rookie, I am currently in the market for my first lathe. I have seen a second-hand Woodfast 150 lathe, about 15 years old for sale at $750. Could anyone please comment if this is a suitable machine to start on or should I be looking to buy a new MC900 or MC1100 ? Also, am I better off buying a quality toolset (P & N etc) initially or opting for a cheaper set from Carba-tec?
For Victorian woodies, I heard the new Carba-tec outlet is opening at Springvale in a month's time.

Jim Carroll
10th June 2005, 09:21 PM
These woodfast lathes were built to last. Certainly a better buy than any asian lathe. P&N are certainly better again than any cheap set. Buy good and buy once.

powderpost
10th June 2005, 09:41 PM
Jim's advice is good. I would also look at Hamlet tools from Carba-Tec. If you are starting out I would suggest a 25mm roughing gouge, a 25mm skew and a 12mm detail gouge as a starting kit. Add to it as funds become available.
Jim

ribot
10th June 2005, 10:13 PM
I don't know much about MCs but I wish my first lathe was a woodfast.

Yuor kids might hand it down or sell it either way your the winner.

gatiep
10th June 2005, 10:13 PM
I go with Jim on the lathe however for my students I usually recommend the HSS 6 piece generally known as a TJ-6 selling between $89 and $100 as a first set. The reasoning behind that is that newbies seem to regrind their tools rather than just sharpen them in the beginning until they have the hang of it. Once they have the hang of sharpening I suggest a selection of quality tools such as Hamlet ( my favourite ) or whatever tickles your fancy. I believe it is better to practice on cheaper HSS tools rather than tools where one gouge could cost as much as the 6 piece set, however make sure that whatever you buy have modern gouge shapes, otherwise the excersize is useless.

La truciolara
10th June 2005, 11:31 PM
DOn't miss such a fantastic opportunity. Woodfast lathe were amongst the best

rickb
11th June 2005, 03:26 PM
Thankyou all for your help, especially the comments re the tools.

nine fingers
11th June 2005, 04:29 PM
I purchased a used woodfast lathe x150 about 9 years ago ,has been used regularlly since the without any problems.It is a solid lathe but still capable of delicate work.Have a look at thread Wooden Spoked Wheels. Only drawback mine does not have a morse taper in the head stock. No electronic speed control,but belt changing only takes a few seconds.
nine fingers

ribot
11th June 2005, 08:05 PM
Small price to pay nine fingers.

Swap you my Tekna tool any day. Not that there is anything wrong with Tekna tools.