PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning smocks - product review.

ubeaut
23rd February 2014, 01:11 PM
Being on the larger size of big I have had trouble getting woodturning smocks to fit over the last few years, without having to order them specially, pay a premium price and wait sometimes for many months before getting them. I have no complaints with the smocks I've had in the past other than availability anb usually purchase a number so I will have them on hand for demo's and the odd person who wants one.

Forum Sponsor Timberbits has recently had a heap of smocks made in a range of sizes from medium to 5XL which is something pretty special the bigger folk out there.

I was recently sent one of each of these jackets and am so impressed with them I decided to mention them here. This is something I wouldn't do under normal circumstances but I feel it's something that needs to get out there to all those turners who have the same problems I have had getting something that fits straight off the rack.

I believe they have a very large number of these smocks in the full range of sizes in two colours blue and green and at an absolutely amazing price.

You may have to put up with having their logo on the front of the jacket and a small logo for Vicmarc and u-Beaut Polishes on the sleeves but for what it's worth I reckon they are the best thing to come along in a good few years especially for the larger woodturners out there. The smocks have full zip fronts with a velcro closure on the knitted collar to keep out shavings there is also pencil holder pocket on sleeve.

305131 305132

Dasclaimer: This is not a paid product review or advertisement.
Other than Timberbits being one of our distributors and a sponsor of these forums, I have no affiliation with them. Our logo was put on to the sleeves of these jackets at their request, not mine. There is no financial gain to either Timberbits or myself from our logo being on their smocks.

The smocks I was given to check out will be going out to Forum Members in future Free Stuff Prize Draws over the coming months.

Cheers - Neil :U

Allan at Wallan
23rd February 2014, 01:40 PM
Just had a look on the Timberbits site

... $25 looks like a real bargain.

Allan

Pat
23rd February 2014, 02:05 PM
Neil, I got a blue one, 5xl in December. The material is noticeably lighter and cooler than other smocks on the market.

It is now the go to smock, yes even over the U-Beaut Polishes smock:;

Please note, I brought mine and apart from being a satisfied customer, have no pecuniary interest.

turnerted
23rd February 2014, 04:10 PM
Our club did a bulk buy of these smocks and several members,me included,found the zippers tended to jamb up.Hopefully it is being exchanged.I checked another one and it worked fine.If you buy one, make sure you check the zipper out.Other than that,a good product.
Ted

jimbur
23rd February 2014, 05:01 PM
I'm really tempted as I can never empty every chip out of my shirt pockets. But, what do the sizes mean. Is M really small etc and is L medium?

Chesand
23rd February 2014, 05:50 PM
If Timberbits could give equivalent chest sizes, it would be helpful.
As we all know sizes vary according to makers.

jimbur
23rd February 2014, 05:55 PM
If Timberbits could give equivalent chest sizes, it would be helpful.
As we all know sizes vary according to makers.
Don't they ever. It gets very difficult for us older blokes. I used to be average height but now everyone towers over me.:D

Big Shed
23rd February 2014, 05:57 PM
Don't they ever. It gets very difficult for us older blokes. I used to be average height but now everyone towers over me.:D

Not only that, we are all getting heavier as well

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-23/heart-foundation-data-shows-average-weight-increasing/5277850

jimbur
23rd February 2014, 06:10 PM
Not only that, we are all getting heavier as well

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-23/heart-foundation-data-shows-average-weight-increasing/5277850
you mean the shirt shrunk in the wash excuse doesn't work any more?:~

Sawdust Maker
23rd February 2014, 07:42 PM
Neil

Thanks
I'll convince the local men's shed to get some

we had one chap wrapping a towel around his neck to keep chips out - ends flapping around everywhere :o

but then again I've started sitting outside when he's turning ...

issatree
23rd February 2014, 08:24 PM
Hi All,
Yes, I know Neil, I don't wear a Smock.
As some will know, I use those White Chemical Throw Away Suits. I can get up to 8/10 months out of one. Cut the Cap off, cut the Elastic off the Legs, Fantastic.
I was very lucky to be given a stack of them that this person did not want.

I think they are the bees knees. No Chips, No Dust to worry about.
Maybe they don't look so good, so what?

Anyway, what I was going to say was, for years now, & only at home. I cut about 100mm. off an old Singlet or T Shirt, & I find it will go over my head & around my neck 3 times, & like the towel , it does keep the chips off the carpet.

China
23rd February 2014, 09:49 PM
I will surely give them a go I have had very little satifaction from overseas supliers, at three times the price + post
Just need one for the dog now

Willy Nelson
23rd February 2014, 10:03 PM
Being on the larger size of big I have had trouble getting woodturning smocks to fit over the last few years, without having to order them specially, pay a premium price and wait sometimes for many months before getting them. I have no complaints with the smocks I've had in the past other than availability anb usually purchase a number so I will have them on hand for demo's and the odd person who wants one.

Forum Sponsor Timberbits has recently had a heap of smocks made in a range of sizes from medium to 5XL which is something pretty special the bigger folk out there.

I was recently sent one of each of these jackets and am so impressed with them I decided to mention them here. This is something I wouldn't do under normal circumstances but I feel it's something that needs to get out there to all those turners who have the same problems I have had getting something that fits straight off the rack.

I believe they have a very large number of these smocks in the full range of sizes in two colours blue and green and at an absolutely amazing price.

You may have to put up with having their logo on the front of the jacket and a small logo for Vicmarc and u-Beaut Polishes on the sleeves but for what it's worth I reckon they are the best thing to come along in a good few years especially for the larger woodturners out there. The smocks have full zip fronts with a velcro closure on the knitted collar to keep out shavings there is also pencil holder pocket on sleeve.

305131 305132

Dasclaimer: This is not a paid product review or advertisement.
Other than Timberbits being one of our distributors and a sponsor of these forums, I have no affiliation with them. Our logo was put on to the sleeves of these jackets at their request, not mine. There is no financial gain to either Timberbits or myself from our logo being on their smocks.

The smocks I was given to check out will be going out to Forum Members in future Free Stuff Prize Draws over the coming months.

Cheers - Neil :U

Aaaaah, I have been awaiting these
Thanks
Willy

ubeaut
24th February 2014, 01:43 AM
As some will know, I use those White Chemical Throw Away Suits. I can get up to 8/10 months out of one. Cut the Cap off, cut the Elastic off the Legs, Fantastic.

Lewis in his one piece white coveralls is known far and wide as the incredible condom man.

:U

jimbur
24th February 2014, 08:00 AM
I've made a guess as to size. Now it's wait and see.

rsser
24th February 2014, 12:39 PM
As a sizing aside, Aust. manufacturers dropped the clothing size standard some years ago. And some actually vary the actual size for the same descriptor in making clothing ranges for different demographics.

So if you fear you moved up a size over Xmas, put it down to the makers :D

The same happened some years ago when health authorities lowered the BMI threshold for overweight and obese. One day you were fine; the next you weren't. OK, it's good to update classification criteria from research evidence but even then it's not a diagnosis, it's a risk factor.

Ramble over.

Treecycle
24th February 2014, 01:18 PM
I've made a guess as to size. Now it's wait and see.

Can you let us know how it works out please. Your normal clothes size and which size smock you ordered.
Could be interested.

Chesand
24th February 2014, 04:15 PM
Can you let us know how it works out please. Your normal clothes size and which size smock you ordered.
Could be interested.

I could be interested also

jimbur
24th February 2014, 04:56 PM
It will be fairly soon as I've been advised it's on the way.

issatree
25th February 2014, 01:14 AM
Hi All & Neil,
So you may have been the Culprit, that wrote on my Suit, a few DUTA'S ago.
I was blaming someone else. Up set a Ladies, you did ???????. HE HE HE.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th February 2014, 01:15 PM
They look like good smocks, dammit. And here's me, built more like Gandhi than Buddha... :innocent:

jimbur
25th February 2014, 02:08 PM
Ok, it just arrived. Now for the intimate bits. I got an XL. The wife says it looks a bit big but to me it's just right. Normally my shirts are 102 and trousers 87, and I'm about 170 plus a bit tall. (between 5'8" and 5'9"). Like the green if that matters.:U
Not being proud, I don't mind the logos - timberbits, ubeaut and vicmarc even if I do use Woodfast.
ps I think it's definitely worth it.

Chesand
25th February 2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks Jim. That gives me something to work on. I am a bit taller than you but about the same for the other measurements

jimbur
25th February 2014, 03:24 PM
Thanks Jim. That gives me something to work on. I am a bit taller than you but about the same for the other measurements
They aren't extra long so you may need to factor that in, though I doubt if it will make much difference unless you're over a couple of metres.

Chesand
25th February 2014, 03:58 PM
They aren't extra long so you may need to factor that in, though I doubt if it will make much difference unless you're over a couple of metres.

Only 183 cm so I reckon XL will probably be OK.

Ilya
25th February 2014, 04:31 PM
I got an XL. The wife says it looks a bit big but to me it's just right. Normally my shirts are 102 and trousers 87, and I'm about 170 plus a bit tall. (between 5'8" and 5'9").

Thanks for this! Would you say that the sizing is true to "general sizing convention", i.e. would you normally get an XL t-shirt?

jimbur
25th February 2014, 04:40 PM
Thanks for this! Would you say that the sizing is true to "general sizing convention", i.e. would you normally get an XL t-shirt?
It's difficult to say but normally I would go for large rather than extra large. in this case I went for XL because M was the smallest and it is a garment where you want freedom of movement.

Ilya
25th February 2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks Jim. This is exactly what confuses me:

because M was the smallest

Need to ask David to put some sizing information on his web site:)

Evanism
25th February 2014, 05:15 PM
I emailed and asked. Let's see.

I have to curse a bit, it reminded me I have $250 of stuff in my cart....

timberbits
27th February 2014, 11:51 AM
Sorry about the delay in response. I was up in Brisbane on a factory tour of Vicmarc and only returned last night.

Now I am no tailor so use the figures as only a guide.

I am a Size "M" and I have the following dimensions
Shoulders - 45cm (17 3/4")
Chest - 100cm (39 1/2")
Belly Button - 96cm (38")

I had a customer who fits an XL, and his dimensions are as follows
Shoulders - 54cm (21")
Chest - 1150cm (45")
Belly Button - 120cm (47")

I will update with more information as we have more willing victims come to the shop. Feel free to also let other forum member know about the size you wear and your dimensions.

Just on another note, I am willing to send out a FREE set (all 6 sizes), to clubs so that there is a set there for members to try. This is on the condition that the display smocks are not to be sold and are to be returned if the club no longer wishes to hold onto them.

Just ask your club President or executive committee to call me and I can do the rest.

Regards

David - Timberbits

Treecycle
12th March 2014, 10:31 PM
I received my smock yesterday. I must be very similar in size to David as the dimensions listed by him are almost identical to mine. I ordered the medium and it fits snuggly, but not tight.
Being made from lighter material it should still be good for use during the hotter weather.

Jim Carroll
13th March 2014, 09:19 AM
Dallas you and david are worlds apart in sizing, I would have said you are more my size and a large is good for me

Treecycle
13th March 2014, 08:25 PM
I probably don't have the same rippling muscles as you Jim, but the large may have been a better option.
Provided I don't decide to take up pole dancing whilst wearing it, I should be okay.

Sturdee
13th March 2014, 09:48 PM
I probably don't have the same rippling muscles as you Jim, but the large may have been a better option.
Provided I don't decide to take up pole dancing whilst wearing it, I should be okay.

If you take up pole dancing, notwithstanding that you turn and turn around a pole, then you ought to wear a better outfit then just a turning jacket as they make you slide down too easily. :U :U

Peter.

Treecycle
13th March 2014, 10:06 PM
If you take up pole dancing, notwithstanding that you turn and turn around a pole, then you ought to wear a better outfit then just a turning jacket as they make you slide down too easily. :U :U

Peter.

Are you speaking from experience there Peter?:)(

Sturdee
13th March 2014, 10:19 PM
Are you speaking from experience there Peter?:)(

No, but I've seen a documentary on it on the either the ABC or SBS and from observations they had more interesting costumes (or at least that's they called it. :U )

Peter.

smiife
16th March 2014, 04:08 PM
Hi guys ,
I have tried several times to register on the
Timberbits site but have not been able to
Get past the first page:no:
I was going to get a few things but gave up!
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

jimbur
17th March 2014, 08:52 AM
Peter.
And there's me thinking a skew can be risky. (yes there's a pun there):D

Evanism
18th March 2014, 10:58 AM
Im a big broad lad with big arms and a belly. Ilya Kindly bought for me an XXXXL

- 194 cm (6'4")
- 150 kg
- shoulders 70 cm
- chest 146 cm
- guts 132 cm
- neck: I wear a 46/47 Van Heusen long sleeve business shirt

The XXXXL fits absolutely wonderfully over my T-Shirt. It looks good and hangs very nicely. The neck is generous.

This is a good garment for the larger chaps (and ladies!) who are ex-weight trainers gone to flab :U. Normally designs for big and tall people are rediculous tents (more suited to the scaled up Danny DeVitto's) than for the big guys who have let themselves go (a bit!).

Very very happy with this and would buy another without question.

A Duke
19th March 2014, 11:53 AM
Hi,
Just received my pretty green smock, size 3XL, I normally wear 2XL T shirts but went one bigger to wear over every thing and it's spot on. It's not going to be a turning smock, I do not turn, it's for playing with my Turbo Plainer etc. I received it within 15 minutes of the time the tracker said it was "on board with courier"
Thanks to all who brought it to my attention.
Regards