PDA

View Full Version : Maple bowl and Walnut dish

powderpost
26th February 2014, 10:46 PM
This is a bowl turned from an old Queensland maple stump. The grain patterns were extreme causing me considerable strife. I used a shear scrape technique with numerous sharpening sessions plus the eternal 80# up to 320# to achieve an acceptable finish. It is 80mm deep and 200mm diameter, finished with three sprayed coats of lacquer. Haven't had a lot of gluing practice lately, so I just had to use a bit of banding.

The second piece, a dish, is from a piece of Queensland black walnut. It is 50mm deep and 250mm diameter, finished with three coats of sprayed lacquer over some sanding sealer.

Jim

Dalboy
26th February 2014, 11:09 PM
Both very nice bowls, I like the idea of the inlay I prefer the first one. Also the inlay colours match the respective wood colouring well chossen

powderpost
26th February 2014, 11:15 PM
Both very nice bowls, I like the idea of the inlay I prefer the first one. Also the inlay colours match the respective wood colouring well chossen

Thank you, I appreciate your comments.
Jim

chuck1
26th February 2014, 11:18 PM
two very nice bowls, really like the inlay!

Willy Nelson
27th February 2014, 12:06 AM
Well done. I must agree, the fist bowl s superb, great grain, nice form, good finish and lovely embellishment. I am sorry, but don't like the shape/form of the second bowl. The inlay does it match it very well though
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th February 2014, 01:55 AM
Lovely work once again!

The inlay works nicely, although I can see how it'd limit your choice in form of rim. :think:

Given any thought to making curved banding to inlay on top instead? :D:rolleyes:)

Sawdust Maker
27th February 2014, 08:09 AM
Nice work Jim
just had to open the glue pot now didn't ya?

I like both pieces but wonder whether the walnut is a tad base heavy - or is that just a quirk of photography

Given any thought to making curved banding to inlay on top instead? :D:rolleyes:)

Now you've done it he'll be in hibernation now for six months working it out and coming up with another brilliant piece :doh:

elderly
27th February 2014, 09:49 AM
I love the first bowl but the shape of the second one does not do it for me.
Cheers Frank.

powderpost
27th February 2014, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the comment, yes Skew, constantly. Strip banding is made in a flat board/sheet form with thin strips cut off the edge. So there is an "economy of scale" situation. Circular bandings are made for guitars, so it can be done. Making a circular one off banding to suit a particular bowl, could be very labour intensive, but what the hell, I am retired..... :). The idea has often crossed my mind. There is some ideas in my head. I just have to filter them out... :D

Jjim

powderpost
27th February 2014, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I agree the dish isn't all that exciting, probably I should have mentioned that it was a commission.

Jim

artme
27th February 2014, 11:23 AM
Nice turning and inlaying PP!! The first piece is really eye pleasing.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

The second piece Just lacks that little something in terms of shape.. Nice bitta wood though!!!:)

smiife
27th February 2014, 07:39 PM
Hi PP.
They both look great, the second one looks a bit
thick but I guess that is because of the band
width, well done
Cheers smiife :2tsup:

Sturdee
27th February 2014, 09:42 PM
Jim,

Both of them look good and much better then I could do. So my comments are based on my feelings rather then what I could do.

I like the inlay of the first bowl but not the inlay of the second mainly because the arrow shape keeps drawing the eye in the direction of the arrow. A block shape or a chevron shape would be better.

Also I prefer the inside of the second as it draws the eye to the centre and where an object would be placed rather then the wall shape of the first.

Peter.

Mobyturns
28th February 2014, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the comment, yes Skew, constantly. Strip banding is made in a flat board/sheet form with thin strips cut off the edge. So there is an "economy of scale" situation. Circular bandings are made for guitars, so it can be done. Making a circular one off banding to suit a particular bowl, could be very labour intensive, but what the hell, I am retired..... :). The idea has often crossed my mind. There is some ideas in my head. I just have to filter them out... :D

Jjim

That should give you something to do to fill in the rest of your day :D Better have that coffee first though.

Great work Jim but we have come to expect nothing else from you.