PDA

View Full Version : Cups with Morse Taper

Kidbee
28th February 2014, 03:24 PM
Over a decade or more I had two cups with a morse taper; one fitted into the head stock and the other in the tail stock. The cups were about 25mm in diameter. I don't remember the name of these items but they were handy when you wanted to spindle turn something up to about broom handle size as they self centred and held the item being turned. I do not remember if the one in the tailstock had a bearing. I bought them along with a new Moreton Lathe and I think that the maker of these lathes also made the cups with tapers. I guess that Moreton lathes are no longer getting made in Brisbane.

I am interested in purchasing these units again and would like to know their name and where I may puchase them.

rsser
28th February 2014, 03:31 PM
You could readily turn your own out of hardwood. I can post MT2 dimensions if you want to try this.

Teknatool make a live centre kit with a cone attachment that's self centring. Dunno about 'dead' centre availability in this category. I expect that Vermec would do one to order.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th February 2014, 03:39 PM
I know the beasties you mean and I've been looking for 'em in MT2 myself. I had them in MT1, but when I sold my mini mini-lathe they went along for the ride. :rolleyes:

Nowadays I use a small wooden block mounted to a 2" faceplate - turned to a conical internal profile - and the Teknatool live-centre kit that Ern mentioned for the tailstock.

'Tis more cumbersome but I've found that the timber on the faceplate gives a better grip, so I don't need to apply as much pressure on the tailstock for it to start driving the timber when I lazily 'hot swap' blanks in & out w/out turning off the lathe. :-

pommyphil
28th February 2014, 04:09 PM
Yes, I make wooden ones with 30 X3.5mm nutsscrewed onto a McJing live center, big male cones are great for goblets.

rsser
28th February 2014, 04:51 PM
Post a pic PP?

pommyphil
28th February 2014, 05:38 PM
Here you go Ern305809305810305811305812 Phil

rsser
28th February 2014, 05:41 PM
4000 words.

Thanks.