PDA

View Full Version : juniper bowl might be firewood

chuck1
2nd March 2014, 02:37 PM
just turned this bowl 9 inches by 4 inches and I could hear it cracking while turning it, cracks are on the bottom in sap wood. May have been still abit green?!
fun to turn and made the shed smell good!
thanks for looking any c and c welcomed and appreciated!

smiife
2nd March 2014, 03:35 PM
Hi chuckie,
Nice looking bowl mate, just hope it stays
together for you can see some slight cracks
on the bottom already:o could you maybe seal
it in some way wop or wax or something
well done !!
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

turnerted
2nd March 2014, 03:59 PM
Loverly wood.Worth trying to rescue.This has a high oil content which will react with DO.I had some bowls which were still tacky after a year.I ended up stripping the DO off and finishing with EEE and Shellawax which seemed to go OK.
Ted

chuck1
2nd March 2014, 08:28 PM
thanks smiifie and ted, I used Scandinavian oil on it and it seemed to suck it up, but while I was turning it I could hear the dreaded tick, tick as it got thinner and the cracks started appearing! time will tell!

Christos
2nd March 2014, 09:13 PM
I like the idea of holes and cracks in the pieces that I make. Gives it some character. :dunno:

artme
2nd March 2014, 09:45 PM
Hope it stays together because that's a great looking bowl with nice colour!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

powderpost
2nd March 2014, 10:27 PM
That is nice timber, and well turned. :2tsup:
We don't see it up here.
Jim

Paul39
3rd March 2014, 12:38 PM
Chuck1,

Nice bowl, nice figure. I really like the light patch.

If you have more timber, you could rough turn and then soak in half hand dish washing liquid and half water for a week or two, drain, wrap in newspaper and let dry for a couple of months.

Another way is to rough turn and then boil the bowl for a couple of hours and dry as above. I use a crock pot overnight. Put a rock in the bowl to keep it submerged.

When rough turning let the bowl thickness be 10% of the diameter.

Do a search on both the above methods.

Sometimes in spite of all the tricks, some crack and some don't.

Mulgabill
3rd March 2014, 02:30 PM
Yes chuck1! Juniper is great to turn, however, when dry it can be very brittle. I've had spigots snap of when turning and if you have a catch it can be "good-bye". I have also found that it can lose the colour as well.