PDA

View Full Version : A bunch of bowls.

tea lady
5th March 2014, 09:34 PM
Doing a bit of a boring job at the moment, so when I got time in my workshop I thought I'd just have fun making a mess and started turning the first stage of a bunch of 6 bowls. Blackwood, mulberry ( I think, from the fruity smell it has. ) with lots of worm holes that I will stablise with CA, silver silkwood (whatever that is. ), 2 sugar gum, and a plain old mountain ash.

Sugar gum is really hard but has some great figure. Nice golden colour which is a great relief from red gum. Any cracks and stuff I am just going to fill, and go with a chunky gnarly look.

Willy Nelson
6th March 2014, 12:34 AM
Come On, I thought the accepted term for a collective noun was Gaggle of Bowls.:wink:

Anyhoo, I have been given a board of highly figured Sugar Gum with 5-6 curls per inch, absolutely stunning, but in contrast to what you say, I found it really soft. I do not know the origins of sugar gum, I assume an Eastern timber, but I will agree, it has stunning colour and grain. :U
Sincerely
Willy

Jarrahland

Drillit
6th March 2014, 09:37 AM
Come On, I thought the accepted term for a collective noun was Gaggle of Bowls.:wink:

Anyhoo, I have been given a board of highly figured Sugar Gum with 5-6 curls per inch, absolutely stunning, but in contrast to what you say, I found it really soft. I do not know the origins of sugar gum, I assume an Eastern timber, but I will agree, it has stunning colour and grain. :U
Sincerely
Willy

Jarrahland

Come on Willy - in TL's case it has to be a gagglette, eh.:D Drillit.

MAPLEMAN
6th March 2014, 11:58 AM
silver silkwood (whatever that is. )

306603306604306605306606Silver Silkwood also known as Paddys King Beech,Icewood,Putts Pine...botanically it is Flindersia Acuminata...MM

Cliff Rogers
6th March 2014, 12:04 PM
Flindersia acuminata C.T.White, silver silkwood, silver maple – NE. Qld

We also have Flindersia bourjotiana F.Muell., Queensland silver ash – NE. Qld

The boring job wouldn't be laminating up a new handle for a tea pot would it? :think:

tea lady
7th March 2014, 12:11 AM
Flindersia acuminata C.T.White, silver silkwood, silver maple – NE. Qld

We also have Flindersia bourjotiana F.Muell., Queensland silver ash – NE. Qld

The boring job wouldn't be laminating up a new handle for a tea pot would it? :think::shufflingselfconciouslyindirt: Yes well. I keep coming across that tea pot and thinking "Hmm I think I should make that handle soon." :doh: Will dig it out.

As for the silver silkwood, it doesn't look very silver. More a pale yellow. And its REALLY soft yet weirdly oily.

Here is further work done on the little Blackwood one. No sanding yet cos I have to glue a little crack. Looks pretty though. Hopefully get to the others on the weekend.

Sawdust Maker
7th March 2014, 11:47 AM
Looking good TL

tea lady
8th March 2014, 08:44 PM
The silver silkwood and 2 sugar gum bowls. The silkwood sanded to 400# and danish oil. Sugar gum just off teh tool. I need to fill the cracks and gum inclusions. But they promise some very nice figure.