PDA

View Full Version : $150 000 Huon vase

Toggy
11th June 2005, 11:35 PM
I kid you not. Saw it on ebay yesterday. check out item 8198152088.

Did I say they want 150 grand for it. Maybe someone should ring him and tell him he's dreamin'.

Ken

Sir Stinkalot
12th June 2005, 12:00 AM
Looks like he can retire if he manages to sell them all. (http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZtimberandmachinesQQsojsZ0)

There is some great stuff on his web site which is well worth a look ..... definately a great woodworker ...... I just don't think the target market is through Ebay :)

adrian
12th June 2005, 12:29 AM
Don't forget that someone just spent thousands on a piece of toast with a face on it.

gatiep
12th June 2005, 01:12 AM
Hey there's nothing wrong with dreaming!

MathewA
12th June 2005, 03:22 AM
At first I thought he was a bit out of the price range for a pine vase - I still do but... Then I read that vase is 5 feet tall and 4 foot in diameter, completely open on 2/3 of its sidewall. I've seen plenty of extremely large bowls turned - but they were turned from sound solid wood. That is one impressive and very dangerous undertaking. If there were even 5 people on the planet that would attempt to pull that off with a similar piece of wood I'd be surprised.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if he got it. It is truely and most likely will stay forever a one of a kind piece.

I suspect though, he's trying more to get himself some very cheap advertising, and I think he's pulled it off.

Rocker
12th June 2005, 07:24 AM
34 sleeps? It was 90-something a week or two ago; you just can't wait, can you? :)

Rocker

MathewA
12th June 2005, 08:03 AM
You could say that. I had a drop dead date before - hadn't decided on a date of departure. But I've bought the ticket and will be getting on the plane on July 15th and SWMBO will follow a month or so later.

34 sleeps? It was 90-something a week or two ago; you just can't wait, can you? :)

Rocker

rsser
12th June 2005, 09:06 AM
Think he's selling quantity over quality. The form does nothing for me. Expect a yank will buy it.

Full marks for technique though; and some of his other stuff has better form.

La truciolara
13th June 2005, 02:42 AM
Is it that Santa Klaus or Father Xmas comes in July in Australia? :)

Rowan
13th June 2005, 09:10 AM
dang nab it, its COD :eek: and I just cant quite scrape that much together at one time, otherwise I was thinking of putting in a bid. :rolleyes:

rsser
13th June 2005, 09:30 AM
"prove how bored u really are, ..... visit....... http://burlsburlsburls.freespaces.com/ my humble website"

You must love turning and carving Rowan, at those prices you'd barely be covering the costs of materials and gear.

Utuk_Xul
17th June 2005, 08:58 PM
Think he's selling quantity over quality. The form does nothing for me. Expect a yank will buy it.

Full marks for technique though; and some of his other stuff has better form.
Yank eh? HMMMPHH!

TimberNut
24th June 2005, 01:21 PM
I decided to go to his site and check it out.

If you haven't seen it,
http://www.timberlinedesigns.com.au/pages/Enlarged_Click/12Teepokana.htm

Now, I personally don't like the design either, but hey, that's just my taste.

What I want to know is
1. where does someone get the guts to crank that up on a lathe ("just under 2 Tonne") - and unbalanced! Holy crap, he's got more guts than me!

2. on a technical note - 4ft 7 tall - what sort of tool and tool rest setup do you get inside that bugger for the hollowing? Can't see him using a traditional banjo with tool rest, and hanging onto a chisel with 4 foot overhang!!

I know how you'd do it if it was segmented - just hollow as you go, every couple of layers - but solid timber - that's got me beat.

Any ideas?

Waldo
24th June 2005, 01:43 PM
G'day,

Had a look at the site that ianhockings posted, to my thinking that is a lot of huon pine wasted to turn it to it's completed state.

If he gets the $ then he's a good spindoctor, but I think he's dreaming.

PAH1
24th June 2005, 01:59 PM
What I want to know is
1. where does someone get the guts to crank that up on a lathe ("just under 2 Tonne") - and unbalanced! Holy crap, he's got more guts than me!

2. on a technical note - 4ft 7 tall - what sort of tool and tool rest setup do you get inside that bugger for the hollowing? Can't see him using a traditional banjo with tool rest, and hanging onto a chisel with 4 foot overhang!!

I know how you'd do it if it was segmented - just hollow as you go, every couple of layers - but solid timber - that's got me beat.

Any ideas?

About two issues ago of the Australian woodworker there is s report by Mr Hatfield about an american thing that he went to. One of the pictures is of the son of the pioneer of that technique, they basicaly use a hollowing tool gate setup freestanding with 1.5-2m long handles. They are really a damn long way from anything and if they are smart also have a remote start/speed controller.

PS. The technique also involves sandbagging the end of the tool so that all they are doing is controlling the sideways movement of the tool and not placing any weight on it.

Ashore
24th June 2005, 02:30 PM

Any ideas?Thanks for the site Ian I hadn't seen it either
As to hollowing it out maybe he had it done on a verticle borer he could get it hollowed ok and even turn the end for a steady to do the outside . He could then put it on the lathe to finish
Thats how I'de go with something that big and out of balance as you say

. The trouble with life is there's no background music.

rsser
25th June 2005, 10:58 AM
There was a piece in a mag recently about jumbo turnings. The guy was using what was bascially a large metal lathe.

Captain Chaos
25th June 2005, 11:36 AM
G'day everyone.
This is my first post so I hope that I get it right.images/icons/icon5.gif
I remember reading an article in Woodturning Magazine a few years back about a bloke from Hawaii who was turning big bowls & vases. I don't think that they were quite that big though. His lathe consisted of a massive concrete block with a large spindle supported in equally large pillar bearings bolted to the block. His tool rest unit was free standing & he made his own tools - also rather large.
I believe that he was living in New Zealand at the time the story appeared.
Thank you all for having me aboard,
Barry.

barnsey
25th June 2005, 12:43 PM
Welcome aboard Captain,

I'm sure you will enjoy the ride :D

If someone knows where I could pick up a huon blank that might possibly enable me to turn a 4'7" 2 ton vase I'll build the bloody lathe and tools required. I've already got an idea for the bomb shelter I'll sit in whilst attempting to turn it :rolleyes:

Jamie

Landseka
25th June 2005, 01:02 PM
Hey you macho guys, when you find the timber large enough to make into the king size turning blanks you want - here is the tool to go collect it.

Enjoy (http://www.muchosucko.com/video-thev8chainsaw.html). :D

Regards

Neil.

rsser
25th June 2005, 02:15 PM
Hmm, I like the way the guys fall down when the cut is finished.

Captain Chaos
25th June 2005, 02:58 PM
G'day everyone.:D
I'd like to see how they'd go tackling some of our big hardwood logs. Would it would still be about six seconds with a half hour chain sharpening session in the middle? :confused:

take good care,
Barry.