PDA

View Full Version : My chainsaw is a . . . . . .

Pat
10th March 2014, 08:52 PM
On Friday, last week, I decided to finally cut up a little NSW Rosewood stump. My chainsaw (Stihl MS 180 C-BE) decided not to work, for 2 1/2 hours, I tried to get it going, before giving in disgust and very fruity language.

Fast forward to today, got the Whipper Snipper out, started 3rd go, the Mower out, started 5th go and though, I'll get that rotten @#%%^#%$ chainsaw. Refueled it, said a few choice epitaphs and cranked it. Hmm, very close to kicking over, fiddle with controls, second crank, still close, third, nearly there, fourth, holy mackerel, it goes. Revved the bugger, let of the brake and away it ran. I did the snipping and then thought, I may as well cut up the little rosewood stump before mowing. So put the bar and blade back on, double check everything and 10 minutes later, job done.

MBGitW thought I was playing with the mower, but when she wandered out and found the dogs locked down the side, she knew I was playing with the chainsaw.

Here is the Offcut, about 370x350x100ish

Bushmiller
10th March 2014, 09:28 PM
Pat

Try giving a spray of "Easy Start," "Quick Start," "Aerostart" or "Start Ya Bastard" into the air intake. It's often what you need to get a machine going that hasn't been used for a while. After that they are fine.

Regards
Paul

wheelinround
10th March 2014, 10:50 PM
Pat your kidding me aren't you!! a chainsaw for a tiny bit of Rosewood :doh: You may as well have used a hammer

Cliff Rogers
10th March 2014, 10:51 PM
2 strokes are bloody strange.
If you haven't used it for ages, tip all the fuel out & put some fresh fuel in.
Once it is going & warm, you can go back to using the old fuel.

Colin62
10th March 2014, 11:47 PM
It's best to store them without fuel. But I never know how long it's going to be before I need mine again.

artme
11th March 2014, 01:19 AM
Bugger the saw!! what do you intend to do with the Rosewood??

Pat
11th March 2014, 04:06 AM
Bugger the saw!! what do you intend to do with the Rosewood??

Artme, I am a turner, I should be able to turn this pieces and the larger piece in to a toothpick:U

tore
11th March 2014, 05:18 PM
No No No
Pens pens and more PENS:U:U:U:U:yippy:

rsser
14th March 2014, 11:12 AM
I'm a fan of putting fuel stabiliser in the tank of engines that only get occasional use. Or at a min. leave them full (cuts down on condensation probs) and replace with fresh fuel before use.

Stabiliser used to be put in by the refiners but they've cut costs. Take a look at ULP that's been sitting for 6 months or so.

Pat
14th March 2014, 05:02 PM
Having a look at the "Offcut", decided that half a toothpick was too hard . . .

Cliff Rogers
14th March 2014, 05:43 PM
I want a steady like that.... it is half finished. :rolleyes:

Bushmiller
14th March 2014, 11:08 PM
Now that's a steady!

Regards
Paul

issatree
14th March 2014, 11:53 PM
Hi Pat,
You've got me ?.
Why wood you want a Steady on a Bowl.
I haven't Turned any Rosewood that size, if at all.
I wood have thought, that it wood be very Stable or have I got it wrong, & it does move.

Pat
15th March 2014, 05:07 AM
Lewis, unfortunately the humidity is quiet variable on the coast atm and dry, stable timber is moving and flexing whilst on the lathe. There are some nice cracks that I have filled with CA. It could also be because of internal tension in the wood, phase of the moon or my tongue was not in the correct position.:;

All I know, when I reversed it, the blank was running true, still true after coring, then started to wobble as I reduced the thickness of the walls.

I agree, Rosewood normally is a great timber to turn, but I cracked it for that one piece, that doesn't play nice.

Wall thickness is about 15mm atm, so this afternoon, I can retrue it up and finish the bugger.

Other reasons for the steady, this piece already launched off the screw chuck when I was roughing the outside, adding to the character marks on the Yellow Peril and I haven't needed to use the steady, but I am thankful that it is available.

wheelinround
15th March 2014, 07:22 AM
I want a steady like that.... it is half finished. :rolleyes:

Cliff don't you thing a steady that big is a tad oversized for the Jet mini :;

wheelinround
15th March 2014, 07:23 AM
Now that's a steady!

Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul :U

Bushmiller
15th March 2014, 08:48 AM
Ahem...

Just returning to the original post for a wee moment :rolleyes: and the subject of starting reluctant motors, the "spray start" I have suggested is just a high volatile fuel (ether?) that is more combustible than the conventional fuels.

It can be used on a variety of motors with caution. I'll explain. Simple (single cylinder machines) are normally fine. Older motors are fine.

Be wary with modern motors with computerised systems and diesels with automatic glow plug initiation as the firing sequence can be started out of order.

I often hear the comment that diesel engines can become addicted to the quick start sprays. That is rubbish, although at first glance it appears that way.

In practice the scenario is that the old diesel (such as my ancient tractor) is difficult to start, particularly in cold weather so a spray is applied. This works well. Then after a while the engine won't start in warm weather either so the engine has become "addicted."

Actually what happened was the engine was worn and compression low so the heat built up during compression was insufficient to ignite the fuel mix particularly when cold. Over time the engine continues to wear and the compression capability decreases further until the spray is required at all times from a cold start, even in hot weather. Hence the apparent "addiction."

My contention is that spray start actually increases the life of the engine :cool:. But do not use the glow plugs in conjunction with the spray as per my earlier comment or the engine will light up out of it's normal firing sequence :(.

As I said in the earlier post, it works well on chainsaws, being a simple engine.

Regards
Paul

chambezio
15th March 2014, 09:55 AM
Speaking of engine starter spray....some time back I was in my favourite bearing and bolt supplier and there on the customer side of the counter was a PALLET of the stuff. The manager came to serve me so I asked him if the pallet was a reflexion on the capabilities of the mechanics in the district. He assured me it was just the company's usual winter order.

ian thorn
15th March 2014, 06:04 PM
I have the same starting prob with my hedge trimmer a homlite to day in desperation I gave it a spray of detol antiseptic spray as that is hydrocarbon pressured and it worked a treat it maybe no the right stuff but us Kiwis are inventive

Pat
15th March 2014, 07:53 PM
Might have to get this magic spray. Swearing doesn't work:U

So where do I source this elixir of start?

Cliff Rogers
16th March 2014, 12:05 AM
Any good automotive shop will have a can of 'Start ya Bastard' also sold as Aerostart.

wheelinround
16th March 2014, 08:57 AM
Pat its just a quick squirt not a prolonged spray like your trying to kill a fly.

Can use it to inflate tyres

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IGdGv0aj8c

hughie
16th March 2014, 09:07 AM
Having a look at the "Offcut", decided that half a toothpick was too hard . . .

Nice steady, did you have it made Pat :U

Uncle Al
16th March 2014, 09:23 AM
Can use it to inflate tyres

I don't think the manufacturers really intended it be used for tyres, but an interesting video. OH&S blokes might have a bit to say, but I like the concept:D
Thanks for posting.

Alan...