PDA

View Full Version : A chuck and how to use it

fozz
15th March 2014, 10:56 PM
Good evening Folks,

I have been given this chuck 307480 by a very good friend to play with the intent that if I find it worthwhile I will be able to purchase it. Now apparently it is a chuck made by Cliff Walsh who sold it to my friend about 15 years ago. Being so long ago my friend has forgotten how to use it so my question is does anyone have any experience with it, references to it or would care to guess as to all its settings?

I've done a search here and found three threads that mention Cliff Walsh and one that mentions the chuck but no useful information on how to use it.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Ross.

Sturdee
16th March 2014, 01:16 AM
It looks very much like an offset chuck. There should be two plates one to attach to a chuck and the other to the wood. You can then offset the work by adjusting it and screwing tight though one of the series of holes on the rim.

I did have Cliff's phone number but can not find it at the moment. I will look tomorrow in the workshop for it. Anyhow Cliff is a member of Forest Hills Woodturners (http://www.whitehorse.vic.gov.au/WHCC/Community-Directory.html?id=313)so you can contact them for a phone contact.

Peter.

fozz
16th March 2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks Peter, I was hoping not to disturb Cliff but I will contact Forest hill and ask them if they can put me in contact.

Sturdee
16th March 2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks Peter, I was hoping not to disturb Cliff but I will contact Forest hill and ask them if they can put me in contact.

I don't think you have to worry about disturbing Cliff. He is still very active in turning and making tools. Last year he made for me one of his small live centres with removable tips. :2tsup:

He is also one of nature's great gentlemen and would be pleased to help out.

Peter.