PDA

View Full Version : Bit of turning at DustEater's place

dai sensei
21st March 2014, 10:52 PM
Well on my big trip around Aus I spent a few days with DustEater (Dave) near Margaret River WA. Scored yet more timber to overload the trailer :rolleyes: from his wonderful 100 acres of bushland - Grass Tree/Sheoak/Xmas Tree/White Mulberry/Peppermint Burl and some Birds-eye Sandalwood from his private stash :2tsup:.

He already had a heap of timber milled and stacked, so asked me to turn a few things for him. Started with a pen from some very old Dugong rib bones he got many years ago from a deserted beach. Unfortunately the bone was very old dry and full of micro-cracks and the piece for the cap didn't survive, and we were limited for larger sized pieces, he asked me to make the cap from his favourite timber from his stash some Birds-eye Sandalwood. Kit is a Black Titanium Roman Harvest, finish CA.

308058 308059

Next was a pepper grinder from some of his beautifully figured WA Sheoak. He also requested the smooth simple shape to show of the grain to the best advantage rather than fancy beads etc. Amazing lace and tangled figure on this piece, just one bug hole I filled with coffee, finish NC Lacquer. Sorry about then photos, very bright day and timber really absorbs the light, plus again only a phone camera.

308060 308061 308062 308063

Dave took some other shots and perhaps he could post any better ones.

Cheers

Xanthorrhoeas
21st March 2014, 11:05 PM
Wow, that is a knockout pepper grinder. I love his lace sheoak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gawdelpus
21st March 2014, 11:17 PM
When you have timber that nice to play with you don't need decorations hehe, came up very nice indeed, shame about the top of the pen ,but it still works ok as is ,and will be a real treasure :) cheers ~ John

Christos
25th March 2014, 05:11 PM
Great effort to pick up some wood.

Good on you DustEater(Dave) for sharing some with Neil.

smiife
25th March 2014, 07:20 PM
Hi neal,
Nice grinders, bloody long way to go for a bit of timber:;
Cheers smiife:2tsup: