PDA

View Full Version : My new old Lady errrr Leady

dabbler
25th March 2014, 03:52 PM
As some of you already know, SWMBO has spent the last 4 weeks in hospital due to a very bad workplace fall. Three ops later, she is now fitted with assorted plates and metal bits as well as highly dependant on others but well and truly on the mend. Ad you can imagine it has been a stressful and tiring time both of us.

Last weekend I took a much needed two day break from her bedside, went shopping and found myself a Leady. At $80 (the owner was asking $100) I feel a lot better about missing hospital time.

There are still a few unknowns - chiefly where the hell is it going to fit in my 2 car garage cum workshop - but nothing that can't be overcome. The motor is badged a 1HP Teco dated 2002 and does run but leads and switches need attention. Hopefully it will work under load. I'll probably build power and kill switches into whatever bench design I settle on using.

I'm pretty sure it has all the original fittings and the optional ring cutter and eccentric chuck. If someone could educate me on using the Trumax (?) split chuck (?) pictured, I'd appreciate it.

Can anyone offer advice on the bolts used to tie down the bed ? Are they comon to all Leadys or did they go through a few variations.

I'm also intrigued by the colour. All the ones I've seen have been blue and this one is green. The underside of the bed does appesr blue in one of my photos though.

All things considered, I'm a pretty happy chappy. I even told SWMBO.

RETIRED
25th March 2014, 04:12 PM
Ned Kelly is alive and well and lives on the Gold Coast.:D Good score.

Christos
25th March 2014, 04:52 PM
.....All things considered, I'm a pretty happy chappy. I even told SWMBO.....]

You are a braver man I am. :U

smiife
25th March 2014, 07:40 PM
Hi dabbler,
Nice pick up there, I am sure you will find
room for it somewhere, do what i have done and put
wheels on everthing, I move the car out move everthing
I don, t need and ready to turn in 5 minutes easy done:U
Sorry to hear about the missus hope she is better soon
You will have to make her something really nice when she
gets back home
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

fozz
25th March 2014, 07:44 PM
Oh yeah, lathe restoration, my kinda thing :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

chuck1
25th March 2014, 10:45 PM
nice pickup! those chucks are ok! I have some print outs about the chuck some where!! hope the lady makes a full recovery!

orraloon
26th March 2014, 09:23 AM
A great score for that price. Almost given away. They are a great lathe.
The chuck is very easy to use. That cutter in the pic fits in the tailstock and cuts the recess in seconds. You then just press and turn the blank on. I use mine more than any other chuck due to the ease of making the recess. No marking out and measuring required.

Regards
John

tea lady
26th March 2014, 09:41 AM
:2tsup: SO did you buy something for her too? :D

hughie
26th March 2014, 12:15 PM
The colour is about right and the chucks works well although it normally comes with a cutter for the recess looks like you have one. The chuck was designed by Bruce in his teaching days for high school students, simple and effective

dabbler
26th March 2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback and info on the chuck and cutter. I don't know if I would have worked it out if left to my own devices. I have enjoyed reading the threads on other people's Leadys and stand builds. The seller was given the Leady by a mate who had upgraded, had never used it and just wanted to get rid of it. I was lucky enough to be in the right place and the right time.

There is a lot of workshop re-arranging to be to be done before any serious work will start on the Leady. I'm not only space-poor but lighting and power supply-poor. It is just a garage after all. Plus there are numerous half finished projects I really should finish even if only to make space.

TL - Given SWMBO spent her birthday in a hospital bed, I was planning something special. Problem is what should I give her ? I know she is not overfussed on another of my clocks, I think she is tiring of new pens and I long ago got the message that the household's net quantity of bowls, platters and candle holders could not increase. I did consider re-spraying the Leady in her favourite colour but I can't remember what it is. I might ask my seven sisters - I KNOW they will set me straight !!

Seriously though she does deserve some special and rest assured I will find something for her. She is very supportive of my woodworking interests and has let me be house-husband since my own illness seven yrs ago. Right now she would settle for being home but is at least another week away.

Christopha
26th March 2014, 07:54 PM
Doesn't look anything like my old Leady.
Mine is a short bed, has an aluminium folding bed, lever action tailstock and is painted blue somewhere under the heavy encrustation of UBeaut product.
It has done lots of work is on about its' third set of bearings and I love her. She has made me a living, made me happy and when I picked her up again after not having her at my side for over 8 years it was like getting a lovely old friend back....

dougturner
30th March 2014, 10:19 PM
Dabbler, if you are in the Sydney area next Saturday, and can spare an hour to spend with us, we can show you enough working Leady lathes, chucks, etc, to keep you happy for years. Bring your camera and take all the photos you want.

I'm new to this Forum stuff, but will keep an eye out for your response, and maybe we can make contact.

As some of you already know, SWMBO has spent the last 4 weeks in hospital due to a very bad workplace fall. Three ops later, she is now fitted with assorted plates and metal bits as well as highly dependant on others but well and truly on the mend. Ad you can imagine it has been a stressful and tiring time both of us.

Last weekend I took a much needed two day break from her bedside, went shopping and found myself a Leady. At $80 (the owner was asking $100) I feel a lot better about missing hospital time.

There are still a few unknowns - chiefly where the hell is it going to fit in my 2 car garage cum workshop - but nothing that can't be overcome. The motor is badged a 1HP Teco dated 2002 and does run but leads and switches need attention. Hopefully it will work under load. I'll probably build power and kill switches into whatever bench design I settle on using.

I'm pretty sure it has all the original fittings and the optional ring cutter and eccentric chuck. If someone could educate me on using the Trumax (?) split chuck (?) pictured, I'd appreciate it.

Can anyone offer advice on the bolts used to tie down the bed ? Are they comon to all Leadys or did they go through a few variations.

I'm also intrigued by the colour. All the ones I've seen have been blue and this one is green. The underside of the bed does appesr blue in one of my photos though.

All things considered, I'm a pretty happy chappy. I even told SWMBO.

dabbler
31st March 2014, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the invite dougturner. Sydney is a bit far for a casual visit so I think I will pass on your offer.