PDA

View Full Version : Candle bowl in sheoak

bassmansimon
30th March 2014, 06:17 PM
Here's another of my candle bowls. This one was a commissioned job, in flame sheoak.
I'm very impressed with the final result. Mostly I do three candles in a bowl, but this blank was a bit bigger, so I made this with four.

Questions and comments welcome.

Simon.

NCArcher
30th March 2014, 06:43 PM
Mostly I do three candles in a bowl, but this blank was a bit bigger, so I made this with four.

Simon.

Ummm...no you didn't Simon.

I really like the idea though

bassmansimon
30th March 2014, 07:02 PM
Ummm...no you didn't Simon.

I really like the idea though

Hahahaha oops!!! :doh:
i didn't look at the photos when uploading, and it has been a couple of months since I made and photographed this piece!
I remember that I had planned oncoming 4 but I guess it seems as I didn't go through with that plan :doh:

cookie48
30th March 2014, 08:11 PM
Would the candles put a bit of heat in to the wood?
Not knowing how hot they get I would be worried.
Do not intend this as criticism just wondered.
Apart from my comments above rekon it look very nice. Well done.
Cookie

bassmansimon
30th March 2014, 08:33 PM
Would the candles put a bit of heat in to the wood?
Not knowing how hot they get I would be worried.
Do not intend this as criticism just wondered.
Apart from my comments above rekon it look very nice. Well done.
Cookie

This is a good question.
i advise people to never leave it unattended, but I have done a number of tests. The fact that there is a bowl shape to it and the centre is carved out gives a good chance for the heat to dissipate out the centre where there is no timber. In addition, I have run a number of tealight candles from brand new the whole way to being burned out. The timber got warm but not too hot to touch.

Hermit
30th March 2014, 09:36 PM
Nice one Simon. A great looking candle holder. That Sheoak came up a treat. :2tsup:

I was concerned about fire risk too, after a mate showed me a bad burn on his coffee table, from using a tealight candle without a holder and allowing it to burn right to the bottom. It was almost serious. That's the real concern with these things.

I found a supplier of glass holders for the 38mm candles, on eBay here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/24-Candle-holder-Wedding-Glass-Jar-Tealight-Candles-Holder-/131121445562

I notice that the price has risen since I bought mine. Mine were $24.99 w/ free postage, but now there's an additional $6.95 for postage.