PDA

View Full Version : Have you got a pile like this

Dalboy
2nd April 2014, 04:23 AM
After commenting on Smiife post on the spiral candle sticks and seeing DaveTTC post as well I thought I would dig mine out that I had started well the short story is I found many projects that I had started not all turning.
Any way do any of you also have a pile like this, see below for mine

General view of the pile

Now the itemised list

A pillarbox money box

The next three are a elephant scrollsaw pattern which is going to be a key hanging board, A gargoyle walking stick handle only in the picture and last three scrollsaw angels.

Then I have a love spoon well one of a pair the other is some where in the workshop(It is surprising where things go in there) and also a pair of uprights for some candlesticks in the shape of baseball bats

OH yes the dreaded spiral candle sticks that uncovered all these. These are the ones I refer to in Smiife's thread on his candle sticks.

And last but not least a Finger drum (I think that is the name) and the flat panels are for 4 square money boxes with initials on the front.

The main Question is "DO YOU HAVE A PILE LIKE THIS"

PLD
2nd April 2014, 06:00 AM
Well I use to have such a pile, but a couple years ago I made a resolution that if I start it I finish it before I can start a new project. One of the few resolutions I have stuck with. I just can't afford to waste the wood any more, so I finish what I start, and use all the scraps I possibly can. Keeps my shop neater also.

DaveTTC
2nd April 2014, 06:05 PM
Some nice work there. I'm either inspired or intimidated by your skills .... Have not decided yet

I'd go off and try one of those spoons but I gotta be more patient with this other set up yet and get my candle stick mastered. I'm gonna run out of privet. Can someone save me some. Need a trailer load at this rate.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

chuck1
10th April 2014, 08:45 AM
I have I pile of to be finished at some point! some dating back to 1992 due to my Tafe projects like cabriole legs one day I'll finish them off! but they are boxed up!

Pagie
10th April 2014, 12:40 PM
What do you mean you have to finish everything you start? And tidy shed?

greyhound
10th April 2014, 07:13 PM
Yes have a few I call them UFO,S (un finished objects )
trying to reduce the amount but keep finding more when looking for something else :doh:

crowie
10th April 2014, 08:48 PM
G'Day Derek, You ability with the lathe is pretty damn good, well I think so as I don't have a lathe and thus would struggle to any of what you've started.
I have a small collection of wooden toy parts ready for trucks and a number of garages in progress.
I think having various projects on the go or awaiting to be finish is alright as sometimes other things take priority, then some project get overlooked until a slow time in the shed occurs; then they are finished off and given as a gift, very handy...
Cheers crowie

powderpost
10th April 2014, 08:58 PM
Simple answer... yes. I am working on one now, started 3 years ago.
Jim

Christos
10th April 2014, 09:06 PM
No Dalboy, sorry you are unique. :B:U

I think we all get sidetrack with the things we create. I have four projects that I have on hold as I need something that is not in the garage. I have another two that I started with the glue up.

And one of them might be used to finish off one of the four.

I try to keep them in the same place like a group of things to do. It reminds me of the tasks needed.

Dalboy
11th April 2014, 08:04 AM
Sounds like many on here have them hidden in little corners of the workshop

G'Day Derek, You ability with the lathe is pretty damn good, well I think so as I don't have a lathe and thus would struggle to any of what you've started.
I have a small collection of wooden toy parts ready for trucks and a number of garages in progress.
I think having various projects on the go or awaiting to be finish is alright as sometimes other things take priority, then some project get overlooked until a slow time in the shed occurs; then they are finished off and given as a gift, very handy...
Cheers crowie

I don't have any toy parts at the moment Peter but hope to in the very near future

No Dalboy, sorry you are unique. :B:U

I think we all get sidetrack with the things we create. I have four projects that I have on hold as I need something that is not in the garage. I have another two that I started with the glue up.

And one of them might be used to finish off one of the four.

I try to keep them in the same place like a group of things to do. It reminds me of the tasks needed.

I have not got a large workshop so they tend to get spread around a bit no wonder I can't find them. I have now found a dedicated place for them.

I have even taken a shelf up in the potting shed to store all the rough turned blanks that I have been busy doing on and off this past few weeks

DaveTTC
11th April 2014, 09:09 AM
I have found my 'new cave' has leaks. I need to find a new space. Fortunately most of the drips land in the floor though my spare lathe needs some TLC this morning.

few other bits and pieces need attention too

That looks like a nice dry spot you have there

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

jimbur
12th April 2014, 03:08 PM
I have a couple of part-turned small table-tops leaning on the filing cabinet in the study. No room in the shed.:D