PDA

View Full Version : Huon Pine Peppermill.

Ruddy
2nd April 2014, 06:16 PM
I am not a woodturner by any means but every now and then I have a dabble. This is a peppermill that I have made as a present for a good friend. He is an excellent home chef so hopefully this will not be out of place in his household.
The body is made from Huon Pine and the cork is Queen Ebony. It is fitted with a Crushgrind mechanism and I had a local guy do the laser engraving. I am impressed at the definition and detail that computerised laser engraving can achieve.

Rod Gilbert
2nd April 2014, 06:57 PM
Hi Ruddy,
Very nice indeed clever use of form and the engraving is a very nice touch.
Regards Rod.

Sawdust Maker
2nd April 2014, 07:18 PM
Very novel
well done - I'm sure it will be treasured

bench1holio
2nd April 2014, 07:24 PM
Love it Ruddy!...classic stuff , very creative.

Colin62
2nd April 2014, 08:44 PM
I like that. Different and very well done.

Christos
5th April 2014, 04:39 PM
Very well done.

dai sensei
5th April 2014, 07:19 PM
Absolutely stunning Ruddy :cool::2tsup:

Question - The ebony cork looks the same size as the huon neck, but likewise the ebony cork looks the same size as the plastic end cap for the shaft, so how does the end cap get covered when together?

snowyskiesau
5th April 2014, 07:40 PM
Very nice for a dabbler!

Was the use of the word 'grope' intentional?
Perhaps he's a handy man in the kitchen. :)

Ruddy
5th April 2014, 08:41 PM
Neil.
The cork has a spigot that is the same diameter as the bore on the neck. It then steps out to the same diameter as the neck. There is another small step that is purely visual to represent the step on a bottle.The standard white crush grind top needs to be slightly reduced in diameter to get the likeness of a bottle shape. Thanks for your comments.

Snowyskies......very perceptive of you to pick the deliberate mistake! Michael was born in 56 and he is still maturing and he certainly has distinctive nutty tones!

DaveTTC
6th April 2014, 11:00 AM
that is awesome ... I like it a lot

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

greyhound
6th April 2014, 11:28 AM
Great idea well done looks stunning:2tsup: