PDA

View Full Version : and clearly the shoulder is getting better

Willy Nelson
5th April 2014, 03:43 PM
Good Afternoon LAdies and Gentlemen

Well, I have sufferered the pangs of withdrawal from wood turning long enough after a shoulder re-construction. last week, got right back into it on the big lathe, enough of pens I say.

I completed a Salmon Gum Burl 'pot' like shape approximately 220 x 140mm.

I have also completed a very large Jarrah Burl platter approximately 420mm

Lastly, a nice smaller platter of 290mm with a textured and ebonised rim. I like doing this. To me, it draws the eye into the fantastic swirl of Jarrah burl and the black contrasts nicely with the colour of the burl. A very hard burl this one

Sincerely
Willy

Jarahland

turnerted
5th April 2014, 04:27 PM
Great work Willy.Glad you're on the mend.
Ted

Christos
5th April 2014, 04:32 PM
.....Well, I have sufferered the pangs of withdrawal from wood turning long enough after a shoulder re-construction. last week, got right back into it on the big lathe, enough of pens I say.......

Nooooo..... does that mean I have to go back to pen making in order to balance the universe? Stuff the balance I will continue with the larger items for a little while longer.

I like the idea of the border on the rim. It is flat across the rim or curved?

BobL
5th April 2014, 06:48 PM
Some real nice pieces there and good to hear/see you are back in action Willy.

BTW I started milling again today. Just small stuff not worth posting about, Olive, Sheoak and a piece of not too badly cracked Wattle!

dai sensei
5th April 2014, 07:30 PM
looking great Willy :2tsup:

I'm booked in for your club on 17 April, and moving to a farm stay at Wandi on Monday, so hopefully we can catch up.

Willy Nelson
5th April 2014, 08:07 PM
Responses, hopefully in order and thanks for the comments

The rim is flat

Wandi is a good area to stay in, is it Rod Cocks? The 17th, I shall be there, I hope

Willy

dai sensei
5th April 2014, 11:07 PM
...is it Rod Cocks? ..

Probably, I know it as Rod & Kerry's Place

dougturner
16th April 2014, 10:52 PM
Good Afternoon LAdies and Gentlemen

Well, I have sufferered the pangs of withdrawal from wood turning long enough after a shoulder re-construction. last week, got right back into it on the big lathe, enough of pens I say.

I completed a Salmon Gum Burl 'pot' like shape approximately 220 x 140mm.

I have also completed a very large Jarrah Burl platter approximately 420mm

Lastly, a nice smaller platter of 290mm with a textured and ebonised rim. I like doing this. To me, it draws the eye into the fantastic swirl of Jarrah burl and the black contrasts nicely with the colour of the burl. A very hard burl this one

Sincerely
Willy

Jarahland

Love the bowl and platters. Tell me though, are you the Willy Nelson who was at HMAS Nirimba in Quakers Hill Sydney sometime in the period 1990 to 1993?

Willy Nelson
17th April 2014, 12:49 AM
Tell me though, are you the Willy Nelson who was at HMAS Nirimba in Quakers Hill Sydney sometime in the period 1990 to 1993?

Crikeys, Yep. That was my second stint there, first as a muppet

Willy

dougturner
20th April 2014, 10:51 PM
Willy, I was one of the civvy electrical instructors at 259, and you gave me a few small pieces of tree branch that you said were tulip wood. I came across a couple of them in my wood shed the other day, and wondered just how small the world is, and if there is only one Willy Nelson in the woodturning world. Seems like there is! Maybe in a year or two my wife and I will be in WA, so you may get an Eastern visitor or not. In August we fly to Germany and on to Norway to join the Norwegian Woodturning Cruise, then another 4 weeks around Scandinavia. Gonna be great!!! Doug.

Willy Nelson
21st April 2014, 08:51 AM
Well Hello Doug
I do remember. I loved my time at Nirimba, both as a muppet and an instructor. The tulip tree I cut I stll have a couple of pieces left, it has travelled from Sydney, to Melb, to Perth, to Syd, and finally Perth. I am more into Jarrah now

Wow, I have read articles about the wood turning cruise, look forward to reading yours. I just did a cruise to NZ with the family, but didn't even see a lathe the whole time.

Make sure you give me a yell when you are in the West

Sincerely
Willy

Jarrahland