PDA

View Full Version : spalted Red Gum

chuck1
13th April 2014, 01:04 PM
spalted Red Gum vase, this was a fence post that spent 50 plus years in the boggy part of fence line at the Farm! it's sad that most of it got burnt but have rescued what I could
thanks for looking

tea lady
13th April 2014, 01:35 PM
Could be called leopard red gum. Looks great.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th April 2014, 06:56 PM
My first thought on seeing the title was along the lines of "Spalted? Redgum? What?"

But that is certainly a unique piece of timber! Did you have any idea of what it was like before you started turning it?

chuck1
13th April 2014, 07:10 PM
the timber was covered in black sludge and I let the rain clean it up and it looked like a weathered peice of timber and thought I'll turn it between centres stoped the lathe and thought wow! so I put it aside till I had a plan for it the yellow spots have dulled over time but still an unusual bit of timber!
so no I had no idea what I had till I turned it!

dr4g0nfly
14th April 2014, 12:28 AM
Okay, so I've only got the photos to go on, but spalting?

It looks more like its been eaten with an inch of not being there by borers.

beautiful classic profile you've turned though and it really looks the business.

Tim the Timber Turner
14th April 2014, 09:53 AM
Spalting???

Spalting is a fungal attack.

This looks more like an insect/borer attack.

Cheers

Tim:)

chuck1
14th April 2014, 05:19 PM
thought it was fungal as they were bright yellow the holes! they have dulled over time.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th April 2014, 06:42 PM
Perhaps 'twas a combination of the two: borers for the initial holes that a fungus later found comfy.

Regardless, it's not a look I've seen before for red gum... and I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for it in future fence-post salvage!

smiife
14th April 2014, 07:39 PM
Hi chuckie,
Looks like more holes than timber!:o
Well done looks good mate
Cheers smiife:2tsup:

Christos
17th April 2014, 07:35 PM
This is the sort of pieces that I like to have a go at. Very nice.