PDA

View Full Version : second bowl

fubar
20th April 2014, 01:44 PM
Well after the nice comments on my first attempt thought I should continue so grabbed a piece of mango it started as a piece 150x50mm started turning bang!!! big bark inclusion blew it in half so ended up with this little bowl managed to get rid of all bar tiny little bit at the bottom egde.

sanded to 400, eee ultra then shellawax.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th April 2014, 04:05 PM
Nicely finished!

I gather that the inclusion was such that any attempt to incorporate it into the piece (ie. get away with a larger bowl! ;) ) didn't look "right"? Pity.

Christos
20th April 2014, 10:25 PM
I sometimes get bark inclusion on the pieces that I turn. I basically stop the lathe and dig out the inclusion to get a piece with holes in them. It does make it interesting.

dougturner
21st April 2014, 12:02 AM
I like the shape, and the gloss level is just right (for me). Mango is a lovely wood to turn, if a little dusty.

311058311057311056311066If you like bark inclusions, or edges, Jacaranda could be the timber for you. Some spectacular effects (accidental or otherwise) can be found using a jacaranda half log with the bark still in place. I have made a few over the years, and if the bark is still on at the end of the turning process, it will stay there long term. Photos L to R 200mm Jacaranda, 300mm Silky Oak, 300mm Camphor Laurel, 100mm Jacaranda. All four timbers hold their bark, but I have had most success with Jacaranda. :U

fubar
21st April 2014, 10:02 AM
the inclusion started as a 1cm spot on edge of blank but it was a large pocket inside blank as i cut to shape of bowl it went in almost to other side and completly blew the blank almost in half. As I had mounted with the thread screw I had no option but to remove what remained
thanks for the likes and comments