PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Goulburn NSW Help Advice

johmarq
22nd April 2014, 10:29 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm just starting on my wood turning journey, purchased a used lathe and tools etc.

now i'd like to meet some fellow turners in the Goulburn area

I'm sure you're out there!

I'd really appreciate some guidance in getting started.

Cheers, John

DaveTTC
22nd April 2014, 05:22 PM
Step over to Jerilderie. Welcome anytime. I passed through your way over the weekend. I'll have to see when I'm next heading through

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd April 2014, 05:55 PM
Welcome aboard, John!

I've had a quick look at your intro post and see that you have a decent lathe and tools. ($550? Bargain!) The Darlow & Rowley books are also good choices for any turner's library and you'll probably find yourself referring back to them quite frequently. :2tsup:

But a book isn't quite the same as having someone there to take you through things safely. No matter how well written, they just can't take a look at what you're doing and say "you need to tuck your arm in more" or...

Besides, books don't really hold up their end of the conversation when you're kicking back with a drink or two after finishing work. :innocent:

Hopefully you'll find a willing tutor/chinwagger here.

I'll have to see when I'm next heading through

Aye, that's the problem, innit? We pass thru fairly often but it's usually red-eye runs down to Vic... not the best time to drop in for a chat and a cuppa. :sigh:

DaveTTC
22nd April 2014, 06:55 PM
I passed through there at a rather decent time Sunday night this time round. I reckon it was about 20:15. I was home in Jerilderie just after midnight. Car turned into a pumpkin within eyeshot of town.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

johmarq
22nd April 2014, 07:06 PM
Welcome aboard, John!

But a book isn't quite the same as having someone there to take you through things safely. No matter how well written, they just can't take a look at what you're doing and say "you need to tuck your arm in more" or...

Besides, books don't really hold up their end of the conversation when you're kicking back with a drink or two after finishing work. :innocent:

Hopefully you'll find a willing tutor/chinwagger here.

Aye, that's the problem, innit? We pass thru fairly often but it's usually red-eye runs down to Vic... not the best time to drop in for a chat and a cuppa. :sigh:

Exactly, half the fun is the social side, and you're right it's much better to have someone experienced watch what your doing and point out your errors.
especially where safety is concerned

Dave you're welcome anytime for a cuppa, The Billys always on!

DaveTTC
22nd April 2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks John. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm passing thru.

If your not doing anything next Australia Day I will be having a forum get together at my place over the long weekend. Welcome to bring some tools and do some work while your here should you come.

No doubt there will be a variety of experienced wood and metal workers and a few demos along the way.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

chuck1
22nd April 2014, 10:11 PM
I'm sort of close I zap through GGoulburn on my way to Taralga and have some lathe experience! Will keep you post when I on way!

Christos
22nd April 2014, 10:50 PM
When I first started on the lathe I visited a friend who I met through this forum. He gave me a run down on the lathe and I must say it was very interesting. I have now been turning for about 2.5 years with still lots to learn. Has been enjoyable as I hope you also find this enjoyable.