PDA

View Full Version : Lathe No. 1

NCArcher
26th April 2014, 05:59 PM
I have a lathe that works :hpydans2:.

It started off like this

An ex tafe school, 3 phase Woodfast. Late 60s early 70s vintage.

I stripped it down and converted the motor to be able to connect it in Delta ready for a VFD.
All the bearings in the headstock were replaced and the job of stripping the 3 or 4 layers of paint began.
Progress was slow but I got the headstock casing and the disassembled tailstock done.
That bloody fluoro green paint is tough :~
Originally I was going to do all three lathes at the same time, did I mention that I have three? Here's the other two -

I stripped the other two lathes as well and replaced all the bearings. I converted all three motors at the same time as well.
Three lathes is a lot of stripping. I did all the headstocks and tailstocks but the prospect of stripping those three cabinets and lathe beds was a bit daunting.
I was always going to keep one of the lathes for myself and I decided I could live with the original paint on the cabinet till I get around to it. And I really wanted to get one going.
So I rolled up the sleeves and concentrated on the one I am keeping and got the bed and the other bits and pieces stripped ready for painting.
I spent a couple of days painting and then reassembled this morning.
Had a bit of trouble getting the bearings back in the housing and had to resort to the bottle jack and all thread dodgy press. Worked like a charm and I soon had it back together.
The centers lined up beautifully and everything moves smoothly.
Hooked up a VFD temporarily and gave it a test run. :2tsup: Purrs like a kitten. Well a slightly asthmatic, robot kitten anyway.

I now need to make up a control panel and then learn how to turn. :U
Also I either don't know what I'm doing or I need a better tool rest. Probably the former :B but I did make some shavings today :)

The control panel will have Stop/Start, Fwd/Rev and speed control and I saw a great idea on a Youtube video the other day. I'll put some magnets on the back of the panel and leave the lead long enough to position it wherever I want. I'm also considering putting a tacho on the spindle and having a rpm display on the control panel as well. I can get a speed display out of the VFD but it is a calculated speed not actual rpm. I'll have a play, it might be close enough for wood turning.

Hermit
26th April 2014, 07:32 PM
Good stuff - a great score. :cool:
Now the real fun begins.....

Christos
26th April 2014, 11:46 PM
Well that is a good result getting one up an running.

We will now see you in the turning sub-forum displaying the items that you make. :yes:

wheelinround
27th April 2014, 12:11 AM
Looks good Tony love the electrics ideas might have to get you down to see what can be done on the Nova and the Myford :;

I bet first job off the ranks is a couple of new Hiking sticks :q

NCArcher
27th April 2014, 12:33 AM
Looks good Tony love the electrics ideas might have to get you down to see what can be done on the Nova and the Myford :;
I bet first job off the ranks is a couple of new Hiking sticks :q

No problem Ray. Easy to do. Just ordering some bits and pieces off eBay now. I'll get a few extras.

jay h
27th April 2014, 10:25 AM
One down, two to go. Well done, hope the next pair workout as well. I am very interested in the speed display, a few details an pic would be very appreciated, Jay

hughie
27th April 2014, 03:31 PM
Nothing wrong with an old Woodfasts. I did up a Woodfast 400 1987 vintage with new motor and variable speed control etc. A very successful rebuild the only draw back was the the throw was a bit limited to 400 or 15" over the gap would have kept it if it had say 20" or 500+ over the gap.

NCArcher
27th April 2014, 06:34 PM
I think i've seen that one Hughie. It now belongs to another forum member up my way?

hughie
29th April 2014, 10:49 PM
I think i've seen that one Hughie. It now belongs to another forum member up my way?

Yep Woodnut has it.

Paul39
1st May 2014, 12:54 PM
NCArcher,

Very nice. What is the swing, or the center height of the short beige one. It looks at though it has what we call raising blocks to increase swing. You folks may call them packing blocks. I wonder if that was a factory option or added later.

I have the one pictured below which has a 20 inch swing. I am very fond of it.

NCArcher
1st May 2014, 08:07 PM
Hi Pete,
no raising blocks, just the bed and the headstock. The 'block' is part of the bed casting. I just went and measured. 9" (230mm) from the bed to the center of the spindle.
That lathe is tentatively spoken for. I'd better get a move on and finish it. :)