PDA

View Full Version : laminating MDF glue choice?

Gaza
16th June 2005, 08:23 PM
I have to make some custom size internal doors at work, in the past we have used contact adhesive to glue the external skins to the core. Both the skin's and the core are MDF.

Can any one on the board give some suggestions to alternative adheisves that can be used BUT the adhesive can not have a high moisture content as it would seep into the mdf. (NB MDF is HMR)

The doors that we make are large sizes and consit of a core with a skin each side with a timber edge trim. The doors are very stable but as they are large they are supplied with no warrinty against buckling.

PS contact adhesive has served us well over the years but there is always better products out there and thats what i try to do my improving quality and output though cont improvment.

Schtoo
16th June 2005, 10:57 PM
There's a glue specifically for MDF, very yellow looking stuff.

Not sure what it's made from or wether it's suitable, but it's an option.

What about construction adhesive, ala: Liquid Nails?

Harry72
16th June 2005, 11:00 PM
Can any one on the board give some suggestions to alternative adheisves that can be used BUT the adhesive can not have a high moisture content as it would seep into the mdf
Why cant it seep into the MDF, plain old pva is the best glue for raw mdf.

kiwigeo
16th June 2005, 11:04 PM
There's a glue specifically for MDF, very yellow looking stuff.

Not sure what it's made from or wether it's suitable, but it's an option.

What about construction adhesive, ala: Liquid Nails?

Sounds like aliphtaic resin (AR) glue....modified PVA. Think it should do the job.

soundman
16th June 2005, 11:09 PM
Av syntec av180 is prety damn good on mdf. Its a yelloy pva type alaphlactic resin water based goes off reasonably quick.
On mdf it would be heaps stronger than any rubber based glue & would handle heat much better.
cheers

Grunt
16th June 2005, 11:15 PM
Clag?

gatiep
17th June 2005, 12:34 AM
I used some Titebond Original during the week laminating some mdf to make up some turning blanks to use as jam chucks for some turning I'm doing. No clamping, just rubbed it together and I left it 24 hours before turning the recesses into it. It is nice and solid, so the Titebond did a good job.