PDA

View Full Version : Wood Screw Chuck Question

artme
29th April 2014, 06:53 PM
I have wood screw chuck that came with my Super Nova scroll chuck.

I want to mount a piece of mango using this. The screw will be going into end grain.

What size hole do I drill to take the screw??

Moit obrigado!!

Jim Carroll
29th April 2014, 08:19 PM
5/16"

smiife
29th April 2014, 08:20 PM
I have wood screw chuck that came with my Super Nova scroll chuck.

I want to mount a piece of mango using this. The screw will be going into end grain.

What size hole do I drill to take the screw??

Moit obrigado!!

Hi artme,
I use a 7mm on mine
Moit obrigado to you too! (What ever that means)

artme
29th April 2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks fellas!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Moit obrigado is Portuguese for many thanks. Used by Portuguese speakers to say many thanks!:D

Mobyturns
29th April 2014, 09:51 PM
Screw chucks are generally recommended for "cross grained" work pieces and not end grain mounting. A screw chuck mount in end grain is quite weak.

hughie
29th April 2014, 10:53 PM
Thanks fellas!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Moit obrigado is Portuguese for many thanks. Used by Portuguese speakers to say many thanks!:D

I use 8mm, anyway 5/16 is marginally different in size. I eventually broke mine, reason? basically abuse :D now I have a 20mm dia one

dai sensei
29th April 2014, 11:29 PM
What are you trying to mount? I too wouldn't use one into end grain and maybe there is a better way to mount what you are making?

chuck1
30th April 2014, 06:37 AM
I was told when I was an apprentice that you should measure the root size of the thread which is the solid metal left at the bottom of the thread. it seems to work ok but some hardwoods need an extra 1 mm added to the drill size

artme
30th April 2014, 11:30 AM
Thanks all for your input!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I had thought about the end grain question and was a bit wary.

Neil, I Mounted the mango and roughed it down before asking this question

I started shaping it with the intention of making a lidded box. I was so engrossed
That I began the parting operation before I realized I hadn't thought things out at all

I was going to mount the lid section on the screw chuck to hollow out the inside.
Now I think I will drill a hole in the centre of the lid piece and glue a different piece
of timber in for the knob. This will start as a spigot for me to grip in the scroll chuck.